Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Mobile phone tricks, tips & tidbits

RichKid

PlanYourTrade > TradeYourPlan
Reactions
Have you guys tried this out (got it via email)? Is it just a dodgy trick? I cannot vouch for this so be careful if it stuffs up your phone or your health- at your own risk!!

Feedback welcome from mobile and telecom people...post any other interesting bits here too please.

I tried it with the car (see below) from only halfway across the house but it didn't work- (different brand phones though, maybe both have to be a Nokias?). Tried the battery boost thingy as well but it started emitting some disturbance (yeah, I know, not very technical language) and prompted me to change the codec or something.....

THINGS YOU NEVER KNEW YOUR MOBILE/CELL PHONE COULD?

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies.
Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for
survival. Check out the things that you can do with it:

1. Emergency Number

The Emergency Number worldwide for **Mobile** is 112 . If you find
yourself out of coverage area of your mobile network and there is an
emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to
establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number
112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. **Try it out.**

2. Locked car

Have you locked your keys in the car? Does you car have remote keys?

This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone:
If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call
someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the
person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone
on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive
your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles
away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car,
you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car
over a cell phone!"

3. Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your cell battery is very low , you are expecting an important
call and you don't have a charger. Nokia instrument comes with a reserve
battery. To activate, press the keys *3370# your cell will restart with
this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery.
This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

4. Disable Stolen Phone

How to disable a STOLEN mobile/cell phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits
on your phone:

* # 0 6 #

A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. when your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code.
They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes
the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless.

You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that
whoever stole it can't use/sell it either.

If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing
mobile phones.

Reactions
Heard that opening car this way is not possible as car is not opened using audible signal, but rest could be not wrong.

RichKid

Reactions
Happy said:
Heard that opening car this way is not possible as car is not opened using audible signal, but rest could be not wrong.
Hi Happy,
I was assuming that the phone network would relay the signal to the car, is that the theory? Maybe it only works in the US (email probably came from the US as they refer to 'cell' phones there and in some Asian countries rather than to 'mobiles').

Reactions
Cool! I'll have to ask my friend, who is a mobile phone freak, if he knows about these!

Reactions
112 code is a number that is used overseas.In the UK the number is 999 however the system is designed to accept 112 as well(for overseas visitors).In the days of the old fashioned phones,the circuit is made and broke at a certain ratio and this activates the equipment in the exchange.However certain faults can replicate this by making contact and breaking the circuit-it is virtually impossible for the fault to "dial" 999 however when i was a telephone engineer i was sent on many 112 reports.The fault would dial the Police and then(usually at 2am in the morning :eek: )the Police would turn up on someones doorstep to check everything was OK!Here to Help.Al

Reactions
As far as opening a car, each key/button has its own radio frequency signal unique to that car. Theives nearby can use a sophisticated device which hacks your signal as you press the button and break into your car if they know where to find it later. I believe this is essentially how a locksmith gets into your car also.
I only guess that your mobile phone can carry that rf signal from where ever and enable it to open your car. Ive heard its bull**** though.

I think the emergency number here in oz is still 000 for your mobile phone. I havnt tried it yet(for obvious reasons) but you'll find that even when locked you can dial 000.

rub92me

Don't look back
Reactions
On 1) This appears to work (i.e. even in locked mode I can dial 112)
On 2) I can see how this could work if the lock is controlled through an audio signal; impossible though if it operates through infrared light.
On 3) I suppose it is possible to have a separate cell within the battery that can be used for this purpose. The phone doesn't have a separate battery though.
On 4) Mobile phone providers typically provide this advice so probably correct

Reactions
Regarding the battery, I don't know if the code works but it could just be a case of discahrging the phone's battery to a certain level and this code lets you run it down lower. That is, no need for a second battery. :2twocents

Reactions
Yes 112 is the correct global emergency number to dial from a mobile phone in an emergency. But of course within Australia it is always best to dial 000 first.

While undertaking a St John First Aid Training Course our instructor also mentioned this.

Take a look at your instruction manual that comes with any mobile phone and it should also mention it.

I dialed 000 from my mobile to call for an ambulance, after witnessing an elderly guy drive right into a power pole after suffering a heart attack.

I waited 10 minutes and dialed 000 again while I was waiting to be connected the ambulance arrived, so I hung up. A few minutes later my phone rang and I answered it, on the other end was the a lady working in the 000 emergency call centre asking me why I had dialed.

So the moral of the story is...be careful when you dial, each and everytime you dial your number is traced and recorded.

Reactions
lol that is funny stop the clock

tried the battery code and it brings up "change the active codec" ok? on the phone, not sure if i should progress or not....

Reactions
I don’t know what it means, but sometimes you get bum information on the Internet, so best to check with reliable source before proceeding.

Like computer viruses, some just try to wreck anything and everybody is fair game.

RichKid

Reactions
Geez, quite a few knowledgeable folk on ASF!! Thanks for all the feedback guys, will update this thread if I get more answers or new material.