• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Mobile phone tricks, tips & tidbits

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RichKid, Oct 5, 2006.

1. RichKid

RichKid PlanYourTrade > TradeYourPlan

Have you guys tried this out (got it via email)? Is it just a dodgy trick? I cannot vouch for this so be careful if it stuffs up your phone or your health- at your own risk!!

Feedback welcome from mobile and telecom people...post any other interesting bits here too please.

I tried it with the car (see below) from only halfway across the house but it didn't work- (different brand phones though, maybe both have to be a Nokias?). Tried the battery boost thingy as well but it started emitting some disturbance (yeah, I know, not very technical language) and prompted me to change the codec or something.....

2. Happy

Happy

Heard that opening car this way is not possible as car is not opened using audible signal, but rest could be not wrong.

3. RichKid

Hi Happy,
    I was assuming that the phone network would relay the signal to the car, is that the theory? Maybe it only works in the US (email probably came from the US as they refer to 'cell' phones there and in some Asian countries rather than to 'mobiles').

4. Happy

Happy

I only heard this, so no practical experience at all.

5. watsonc

watsonc

Cool! I'll have to ask my friend, who is a mobile phone freak, if he knows about these!

6. alankew

alankew

112 code is a number that is used overseas.In the UK the number is 999 however the system is designed to accept 112 as well(for overseas visitors).In the days of the old fashioned phones,the circuit is made and broke at a certain ratio and this activates the equipment in the exchange.However certain faults can replicate this by making contact and breaking the circuit-it is virtually impossible for the fault to "dial" 999 however when i was a telephone engineer i was sent on many 112 reports.The fault would dial the Police and then(usually at 2am in the morning :eek: )the Police would turn up on someones doorstep to check everything was OK!Here to Help.Al

7. KaneX

KaneX

As far as opening a car, each key/button has its own radio frequency signal unique to that car. Theives nearby can use a sophisticated device which hacks your signal as you press the button and break into your car if they know where to find it later. I believe this is essentially how a locksmith gets into your car also.
    I only guess that your mobile phone can carry that rf signal from where ever and enable it to open your car. Ive heard its bull**** though.

I think the emergency number here in oz is still 000 for your mobile phone. I havnt tried it yet(for obvious reasons) but you'll find that even when locked you can dial 000.

8. rub92me

rub92me Don't look back

On 1) This appears to work (i.e. even in locked mode I can dial 112)
    On 2) I can see how this could work if the lock is controlled through an audio signal; impossible though if it operates through infrared light.
    On 3) I suppose it is possible to have a separate cell within the battery that can be used for this purpose. The phone doesn't have a separate battery though.
    On 4) Mobile phone providers typically provide this advice so probably correct

9. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

Regarding the battery, I don't know if the code works but it could just be a case of discahrging the phone's battery to a certain level and this code lets you run it down lower. That is, no need for a second battery. :2twocents

10. krisbarry

krisbarry

Yes 112 is the correct global emergency number to dial from a mobile phone in an emergency. But of course within Australia it is always best to dial 000 first.

While undertaking a St John First Aid Training Course our instructor also mentioned this.

Take a look at your instruction manual that comes with any mobile phone and it should also mention it.

I dialed 000 from my mobile to call for an ambulance, after witnessing an elderly guy drive right into a power pole after suffering a heart attack.

I waited 10 minutes and dialed 000 again while I was waiting to be connected the ambulance arrived, so I hung up. A few minutes later my phone rang and I answered it, on the other end was the a lady working in the 000 emergency call centre asking me why I had dialed.

So the moral of the story is...be careful when you dial, each and everytime you dial your number is traced and recorded.

11. clowboy

clowboy

lol that is funny stop the clock

tried the battery code and it brings up "change the active codec" ok? on the phone, not sure if i should progress or not....

12. Happy

Happy

I don’t know what it means, but sometimes you get bum information on the Internet, so best to check with reliable source before proceeding.

Like computer viruses, some just try to wreck anything and everybody is fair game.

13. RichKid

Geez, quite a few knowledgeable folk on ASF!! Thanks for all the feedback guys, will update this thread if I get more answers or new material.