• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Full ASX Excel Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Trading/Investing Resources' started by WillyWonka, Jan 14, 2014.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

1. deandob

deandob

Looks like the Yahoo API for quotes is offline, possibly forever. I have a spreadsheet that manages my portfolio that relies on the Yahoo Finance feeds which is a problem.

Does anyone else know of a free or cheap ASX data feed that I could use instead? There are a number for the US markets but none that I can find for ASX.

2. Trendnomics

Trendnomics

I've spent some time today, modifying my trade tracking sheets to correctly interface with an alternative free API data service provider (https://www.alphavantage.co). My VBA function to obtain current share prices as follows (it's a little crude, could be refined using JSON parsing):

Notes:
    1. XXXXXXXXXXXX to be replaced by your own API key (this can be obtained for free)
    2. Function to be used in Excel as follows: StockQuote("XXX.AX")

Habakkuk likes this.
  3. deandob

deandob

Beautiful, thanks. I did check this provider earlier but was trying .AU and .ASX as the suffix for the ASX not .AX as I didn't see any documentation about the exchange codes - but should have tried .AX as Yahoo Finance uses this.

Also FYI its not necessary to use a macro, Excel has a WEBSERVICES function which is easier to use than a macro as you can extract the value from the datafeed in each Excel cell. Below is an example to extract NAB EoD value (replace <yourAPIKey> with your API key):
    =NUMBERVALUE(MID(WEBSERVICE("https://www.alphavantage.co/query?function=TIME_SERIES_DAILY&apikey=<yourAPIKEY>&datatype=csv&symbol=NAB.AX&outputsize=compact"),49,6))

Trendnomics and Habakkuk like this.
  4. Trendnomics

Trendnomics

The WEBSERVICE function is only available in Excel 2013 & 2016. To ensure backwards compatibility and the fact that my trading partner is using Excel 2007, I've opted for a VBA function instead.

5. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

I have just updated my Portfolio Manager, gone to Bigcharts. Attached is the essential macro code, complete with URL. No API needed.

Note: It's set up for Australian FPO shares only. No options or warrants.

Attached Files:

6. El Dufus

El Dufus

Hi Pixel,

I was horrified when Yahoo ceased its service, so your post has been a Godsend to me. I am also a DIY (super fund), and trade reasonably frequently. I really need to have a price feed into my Excel worksheet, but not instantaneous updating.

I am pushing 70yo, and my computer ability is next to nil, so could I ask a favour, or at the very least some advice?

Is it possible to include the day's share movement into your spreadsheet?

If you instruct me, I am happy to code the macro, but would you be able to revise your spreadsheet to include the day's price movement?

If not, I accept that decision, as I know how these requests can grow to be inconvenient.

Thanks for a very helpful post.

7. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

No problem, mate.
    The Market was becoming boring anyway :p

I've added a few more columns while I was at it.

Cheers, Pixel.

Attached Files:

Tpbal and hallph like this.
  8. El Dufus

El Dufus

Thanks Pixel,
    I will try to update my spreadsheet over the weekend.
    If all goes well, you earn my great appreciation.
    El Dufus

9. El Dufus

El Dufus

All done (after a while!), and it works well, if a bit slow.

Thanks indeed for your assistance, and let's hope your current provider does not do the same as Yahoo.

El Dufus

10. twjholmes

twjholmes

Hi Pixel,

Fantastic spreadsheet and thanks for posting! I too was left in the lurch with the shut down of the Yahoo finance...

One request - any chance of adding a 200 day moving average column?

Thanks again!

-Tom

11. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

Sorry, Tom
    the macro can only extract what's displayed on the Bigcharts website.

12. POR930

POR930

Hi Pixel, What a great piece of code to extract the prices from the ASX. The ability to add/remove codes as required, and able to link the results to my portfolio in Excel, made life so much easier.
    Thankyou.

13. Newt

Newt

14. MarketMatters

MarketMatters