Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Actively managed portfolio journey

Buy order placed on QRE @ $7.65 with a stop loss at $7.00

Will be watching if MVR dives will cancel order and will try to get that filled. Whichever hits my price target first.
yes an interesting tilt towards QRE , in your decision-making process

please note this 'mining super-cycle has to wane eventually as consumers and ( manufacturing ) customers run out of easy credit

good luck

yes an interesting tilt towards QRE , in your decision-making process

please note this 'mining super-cycle has to wane eventually as consumers and ( manufacturing ) customers run out of easy credit

good luck
Order likely won't be filled, just going to sit patiently with the money on hand. Going to be a test of my patience to ensure I don't act on emotion/gamble and wait for the price to reach a level I am comfortable with.

Order likely won't be filled, just going to sit patiently with the money on hand. Going to be a test of my patience to ensure I don't act on emotion/gamble and wait for the price to reach a level I am comfortable with.
patience is a very useful skill to improve

i found making firm friends with a dedicated calculator very useful ( just run some calculations through it when inclined to do so )

Closing Out The Week

Expected retrace occurred in contrast to all time highs. Didn't get burnt as much as I thought I would. My property holding fell the most (-1.94%). Will be interested to see if we have a positive day on Wall Street tonight and what this means for the ASX going into Monday.

1715928443390.png
1715928459242.png

I have cash on hand that will account for an additional 5.5% when invested into one of the above categories. Will watch the resources market next week for an entry. If an opportunity doesn't arise that I am comfortable with I may look to use some of this cash on ASX:MWY, a speculative play I am considering.

However given the weekly standard deviation on both my target resource sector picks, I don't see it as out of this world that we see a retrace and a potential opportunity to enter on one of my two options.

MVR's weekly standard deviation of +/- 2.58%
QRE's weekly standard deviation of +/- 2.92%

Onwards and upwards.

As this is a diary, more so a journal of my finances... ill add some lesser relevant stuff as well.

From the ~5.5% I had left to allocate to additional holdings this has now been halved to ~2.75%, will wait till I reach the ~6-7% weighting threshold before opening a new position.

Some funds were divested to purchase flights to New Zealand for a holiday later this year. Still on track to hit my target weighting by the end of may (assuming a suitable opportunity arises to purchase MVR / QRE. Still waiting for a pull back).

Onwards and upwards

Looking to make my entries in to the resource sector today if prices fall far enough (as expected). ASX supposedly set to open 1.1% with falling commodity prices.

Will be watching the market closely throughout the day.

Looking to make my entries in to the resource sector today if prices fall far enough (as expected). ASX supposedly set to open 1.1% with falling commodity prices.

Will be watching the market closely throughout the day.
since you are looking at resource-focused ETFs maybe you will get your wish , but my selected stand alone ( resource) stocks are some way away from targets

good luck

EOW Update

No additional resource allocation picked up this week. Didn't hit my buy range today. With New Caledonia stabilizing I expect we will see a continuing fall across commodity prices as we come in to Monday. Hopefully this will present a buy opportunity.

I don't intend to sell any of my holdings in the short term so timing the market isn't extremely important however I do foresee a cheaper entry for the resource sector so will sit and watch next week. I am still bullish on Australian equities.

If a suitable opportunity/indicator presents itself next week I will up my holdings in the resource sector with either MVR or QRE as mentioned previously. This planned purchase will push the total resource holdings as a proportion of my portfolio to ~13% bringing it closer to my goal of being within +/- 5%.

Here's how we look:

Profit/Loss
1716532386784.png

Weightings
1716532404138.png

New Addition

Speculative investments are now at there 10% weighting following the addition of DUG technology. Average price of ~$2.70 when including the brokerage fee, stop loss just below the next support level of $2.30. I see some upside from the current price.

Will post the portfolio breakdown on Friday with the end of week standings. This also brings the diversified growth holdings to ~54% inline with the 5% +/- target and the resources holding to ~7.326%** (still intend to accumulate on this front in the coming weeks).

Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
EOW Update:

YTD Returns

1717137363706.png
Current Weightings

1717137409817.png

I am conscious I could of timed my entry into DUG better.

Additionally will be looking to increase my holdings within the resource sector. Within the next three weeks this will be at ~13% weighting.
The pull back on BetMakers wasn't expected, however this is a genuine long term position for me. Definitely don't see it falling below $0.093 in the short term.

Overall I feel as if my portfolio has weathered ok given a softening market. The pullbacks in property hurt but were expected given the hotter then expected inflation data. I will be interested in the PCE data later tonight to give an indicator of what the fed will do next.

Until next week or my next acquisition have a good weekend.

I am conscious I could of timed my entry into DUG better.
if only i could gloat on how many times , i got the perfect entry ( a depressingly small number , considering)

however time ( and fuzzy hindsight ) often dulls over those embarrassments

i resorted to calculating a 'good enough ' price strategy .. if the selection slices through and goes another 20% lower ( and it has happened a few times ) i clamp my jaw and consider a second buy ( even the same day ) , lower

all part of the learning curve ( as is holding the resolve too long and missing out on the stock completely )

Update

Purchase of additional shares of MVR complete. Essentially a double up on my prior position. MACD indicator was present, and I am bullish on the resource sector in general.

Updated weightings:

1717474538195.png

Markets are also down slightly today and with a big week of US economic data I have no doubt we will see continued volatility 😨.

Conscious of my over-exposure to Australia (all though VDBA gives me some international exposure). It's something for me to think on over the next few months.

For now my target is still get my allocation to the resource sector up, MVR is now at a weighting I am happy with so I may look at more specific mining assets/funds i.e. URNM/GDX/WIRE all something for me to think on.

onwards and upwards.

EOW Update

A little bit earlier today (I know its not the end of the week just yet)

Profit / Loss
1717732617601.png

Weighting
1717732656868.png

In Reflection;

I wasn't expecting the continued sell off we saw earlier in the week - definitely could of timed my accumulation of MVR better however I at the time didn't expect the continued sell off in commodities.

DUG is tanking unfortunately, down 3.88% today. I have a stop loss in place at $2.30/share (below the weak support level, I'm leaving the stop loss in 0.place) the speculative investment proponent is the most likely place that I will see value destruction so I in turn have an exit for all speculative positions if they reach a loss of ~15%. (these speculative investments aren't significant amounts of value, as my portfolio grows and more capital is inputted I will adjust this risk appetite to accommodate)

1717733019463.png

Portfolio is up 1.54% in contrast to last week where we ended +0.72% with non-farm payrolls tonight I will watch Bloomberg with anticipation, lets see a dovish fed... 🙏

until next week

writing some code to show the growth of my portfolios value, ill eventually add a benchmark in the background (note its only including the capital gains not dividend income).

1717821223868.png

just for a bit of fun, all data is loaded dynamically which is cool from a EOD stock price API (just for fun but I just load the stock code and purchase date)
1717821347390.png

Wont bore you all to much more!

I like your table showing % gain/loss, BossMan. I think I'll do the same thing in my Sean K Trading diary and add a column on the right with a very brief update on how each stock is going, or not going. Cheers.

EOW Update
Additional MVR purchased today (final purchase @ $35.060 bringing our total weighting well on to target (16.315%), purchased off the back of a price alert)

1718353082519.png

It has definitely been a tougher week with downswings across the board. BET has fallen from grace, this is a long term position for me. Similarly DUG has seen some pain, again longer term speculative holds. Stop losses are in place to stop them from getting out of hand.

1718353172213.png

A nice little chart to show you the movement, orange line represents the cost and blue line represents the current value (does not take into account dividend income).

1718353294158.png

Rough week this week, however given I am investing and not trading I have no intention to exit my long term positions (diversified growth, property sector or the resource sector). Dividends for a lot of the above are coming up in the next two weeks.

Definitely intending on an alternative to MVR for the remaining 4% of space under the resource holdings.

Onwards and upwards till my next purchase or weekly update.

Last edited:
EOW Update

Resources continued to tank this week, with a small recovery today and Thursday. Hoping for a rebound in the coming weeks, did I time my double down in MVR wrong yes, something to think on for the future. I've copped it on the chin and learnt from it, but I didn't foresee minerals consolidating as low as they did. None the less I am investing with a longer term horizon so timing the market perfectly isn't the be all end all.

Portfolio Returns:
1718957047593.png

Portfolio Weightings:
1718955284801.png

As we can see we are just about at our goal of being within 5% +/- of our target weightings.

In July I intend to open a position in a targeted resource being gold or copper, potential options I am currently looking at are WIRE or GDX which additionally offer me international exposure.

As we enter July I will be revising my strategy and asset allocation targets with an aim to complete a full rebalance by mid September, I don't intend to liquidate any assets as to avoid paying capital gains tax, this rebalance will be achieved by injecting additional funds into my portfolio. While revising my strategy ill be putting an emphasis on having at least 20% of my holdings internationally, with a goal to grow this to 33% by the end of 2024.

Another thing to look forward to is a lot of the assets hit ex-div at the end of next week/early July, enabling additional cashflow to be injected into the portfolio.

Portfolio Value v.s. Portfolio Cost

1718956833455.png

Blue Line = Total Holdings Value
Orange Line = Total Holdings Cost

did I time my double down in MVR wrong yes, something to think on for the future.
that is why i normally 'nibble' to increase the holding , extra brokerage fees , sadly yes , but by buying cheaper and cheaper , sometimes negates that

but of course break out your calculator , and work out what suits you best

i am of the view that manufacturing ( and therefore mineral demand ) is slowly softening , ( but i still want long-term positions in the sector , it just might be a little uncomfortable for a while )