• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

The ScoMo Government

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sptrawler, Aug 24, 2018.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

1. luutzu

luutzu

"Mateship" :D

Good one.

2. luutzu

luutzu

Most CEO nowadays comes from Finance or Sales rather than from engineering or operation.

While not all financial managers make bad CEO, when your background is finance, it's hard to see the need to build stuff when you can either outsourced it, played gov't regulation/subsidies/anti-trust etc. to monopolise, merge, destroy competition to seek rent rather than build or innovate.

That and if a person doesn't rise from the ranks, it's going to be hard to see the usefulness or brain trust in much of that "labour". Labour become a cost that either need to be offshore, onshore, or turn into replaceable cogs you hire then fire as the business cycle dictate.

But then why innovate when you can milk the old cow to death.

3. sptrawler

sptrawler

Well the one major assett Morrison has, is Shorten, that will be the crucial beach head for Morrison.
    He isnt Bill light, as Turnbull came over as, how Scott and Bill shape up, will be the thing that shapes the election. IMO

4. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

The polls have really rebounded allright, for Labor. :roflmao:

LNP 46% ALP 55%.

Shorten is now PREFERRED PRIME MINISTER.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...e/news-story/cf52dcfdfdd80c5f0e28c27a9e9557b0

5. dutchie

dutchie

Woe is me.
    Woe is Australia.

6. Junior

Junior

Libs brought this all on themselves. Should have united behind Turnbull until after the election, and then knifed him at that stage if they really needed to.

7. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

They wouldn't have to knife him because if Turnbull lost the election he would have quit, had he won there would be no need to knife him.

8. sptrawler

sptrawler

I still think it is better for Australia,to have a Labor Party and a Liberal Party, rather than having both trying to copy each other.
    That just leads to populist policy, that leads to nothing except inept Government. IMO

Smurf1976 likes this.
  9. Junior

Junior

This is too logical.

10. sptrawler

sptrawler

I would prefer that, than another 10 years of hung Parliaments.
    It is far better to have a decisive decision with regards the power situation, than do nothing at all, as is happening currently.
    At least the issues will be brought to a head and something can become about it, the ridiculous dancing around the issue as has happened recently, just wasted precious time.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  11. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

I have to agree. I'm getting a bit tired of the freak show in the Senate, and I'm going to vote for the same Party in both houses and hope that whoever wins they can get their policies through.

sptrawler likes this.
  12. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

To have a strong government requires that we also have an effective opposition in my view since otherwise they end up becoming lazy. Same applies regardless of who the government and opposition actually are.

So yes, an effective Labor party and an effective Liberal party are what we need. It wouldn't hurt if the Greens or someone else became a stronger force too, if only to keep the main two accountable.

explod likes this.
  13. Logique

Logique Investor

The Morrison government is better than the alternative.

The horrors of a Shorten government may scarcely be imagined. Unless people actually like electricity blackouts, burgeoning immigration detention centres, overflowing public hospitals, taxed empty pockets, pensioner tax and runaway national debt.

All of these Labor will deliver, while pretending it's for our own good, as Australia morphs into 'New Venezuala'.

TLS, Tink, Triathlete and 1 other person like this.
  14. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

If you have a strong Greens then you need an equally strong extremist party on the right.... as equally far right as they are far left. There is PHON, KAP, LDP & ACs, but none of them cut the mustard in the extremist stakes like the Greens.

Tink likes this.
  15. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

Scotty a Manchurian Candidate?

16. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

It's such a shame that people like Alan Jones don't have more influence in the community.

:D

17. sptrawler

sptrawler

18. sptrawler

sptrawler

Sounds as though the media, is already starting to struggle, with roping a politician for a cheap headline.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...bate-for-another-day-on-drought-tour/10168860

The section I found interesting, when being pushed on 'climate change':
    "I know what you are trying to ask and I don't think that's part of this debate. That's my point.

"If people want to have a debate about that, fine.

"It's not a debate I've participated a lot in, in the past, because I'm practically interested in the policies that will address what is going on here, right now.

It would appear Morrison is an unusual politician, he knows when to shut up.

19. IFocus

IFocus You are arguing with a Galah

Haha LOL and that's before you get to plagues and pestilence

Shorten is just Liberal lite more of the same.

20. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

On the specific question of electricity it would be a huge challenge for any government to avert problems at this late stage without resorting to a wartime approach which suspends most normal processes, from finance to environmental, and just makes things happen no matter what.

I doubt either side of politics will actually go down that track.