• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

The ScoMo Government

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sptrawler, Aug 24, 2018.

1. sptrawler

sptrawler

Well the SMH, will have to get all guns blazing, before the next election.
    If they want to have any hope, of getting a Shorten led Labor, over a Morrison led Liberals.
    Let the war begin.:p
    Can't wait to see the first polls come in, my guess a BIG rebound, in Lib support.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    willy1111 likes this.
  2. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

It won't be from me.

3. CanOz

CanOz Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!

Labor voter Wayne? Greens?

4. drsmith

drsmith

After the past week in particular, the new PM and deputy will need to rebuild trust with the electorate that his party can continue to govern and critical to that, that it's a united team. That won't be easy, but one difference between this coup and the previous one's against the sitting PM is that the assassin didn't get the gig. One can only hope that this leaves less bad blood within the party as a result.

ScoMo and JF will need time to rebuild that trust and improved polling in my view and ScoMo gave the hint yesterday that he's in no hurry to go to an election.

Sportsbet have a market who will be preferred PM on this weekend's Newspoll and has Bill Shorten in front at $1.70 to ScoMo at $2.15.

Tink likes this.
  5. Logique

Logique Investor

Peter Dutton would have been a tough sell in the southern, especially the mendicant states. And being in a marginal seat, he'll have to spend a lot of time at home in his electorate.

If Scott Morrison is smart, he'll recall how close was the leadership ballot 40-45, and steer Coalition policies accordingly. Coalition voters want a point of difference, not Labor Lite.

Triathlete, Tink and wayneL like this.
  6. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Yes I agree. The further Right the Coalitions policies are, the less the electorate likes them.

So Scomo should go as far Right as he can, although the Libs will pretend they are family friendly until the election and after that if they win it will be back to Medicare co payments and tax cuts for the rich.

fiftyeight likes this.
  7. ghotib

ghotib THIMKER

True, but the real assassin is still in the parliament and IMO the coalition won't win the trust of voters until he's gone.

Knobby22 and SirRumpole like this.
  8. luutzu

luutzu

I'm getting a sense of switch&bait here, again, three times now.

The party in power make policies that aren't very popular with the masses; their polling numbers show plebeian discontent. What is a party of public servants to do? Change policies? Make good on their promises to regain the votes?

Nah... stuffed that.

Let's just replace the head of the party. Make a new pledge. Promise change, hope, new beginning, fresh start, new innovation and better leadership/servitude.

Rinse. Repeat.

Used to be some sort of accountability every four years. The plebs get to have a say. Now it's just scapegoating. Seem to be working too.

9. Knobby22

Knobby22 Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast

That is very true.
    I can't trust the Libs anymore until they get rid of him. He has a whole TV and newspaper network backing him against his own party.

10. TikoMike

TikoMike

11. noirua

noirua

It does seem that the Aussie Government is trying to outdo the UK Government in pathetic, useless, muddled, jumbled, and trying to destroy itself in continuous infighting - a government divided against itself cannot stand. Not as bad as the UK Government but getting ever closer - the cliff edge approaches.

Getting the support of ScoMo was the kiss of death.

Lincoln's House Divided Speech
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln's_House_Divided_Speech

A house divided against itself, cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure, permanently, half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved — I do not expect the house to fall — but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward, till it shall become lawful in all the States, old as well as new — North as well as South.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  12. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

The coup was a stupid and ideological assassination by stupid ideological people.

13. sptrawler

sptrawler

It would appear by the post's, most are pro Labor, the next election should be a foregone conclusion.
    This an investment forum and most appear to lean toward Labor, that would indicate the Libs have no hope.
    Or this forum is out of touch, interesting times.

14. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Funny you should say that.
    When the franking credit debate was on I only saw it here, HC and Whirlpool.
    No where else either knew or cared.

Smurf1976 likes this.
  15. explod

explod explod

In my view Dutton was a blank cannon fire to try and make the final outcome appear civilised.

With the election not far away it was a desperate but clever plan. However in the end they are collectively empty and on the nose to the electorate IMHO

16. sptrawler

sptrawler

Like I said, interesting times, because many agree with the Labor concept.

17. So_Cynical

So_Cynical The Contrarian Averager

Scomo kind of comes out of this debacle as a clean skin, electorally i dont think it hurts him much, the LNP is a different story - has to hurt them collectively, Scomo has maybe 12 months to turn the ship around...lets see.

sptrawler likes this.
  18. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

I'm not so much in favour of Labor as I am against the Liberals at this point.

To me it's just too blatant that the Liberals are governing for the benefit of a select few and not the majority. Plus I'm truly fed up with the standard routine:

Bash those legitimately receiving welfare whilst presiding over stagnant wages and workforce casualisation.

Remind us they stopped asylum seekers whilst running record rates of immigration.

Doing nothing about housing affordability for the young whilst handing out welfare to the middle class.

And so on. Same pattern with everything and as someone who's always rejected elitism it seriously grates.

Oh for the days of Hawke / Keating and their Liberal opponents who actually engaged in serious debate about stuff that mattered. Both sides were of a much higher standard a generation ago. Whilst I perceive Labor to be less bad that doesn't mean I'm saying they're good or that I've got any real confidence in them. My expectation is they'll fix something but not most things.:2twocents

fiftyeight and overhang like this.
  19. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

That's the one thing which, if the Liberals were clever enough, might get them back some votes so long as they focus on the lower income losers from Labor's plan not the higher income lowers.

20. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

To me, Scott is like that 2 week aunty visitor who comes to Mum's home and sets about hijacking the table conversation, talking endlessly about her unique insight into all things, including fantastic infarcations about the family history.

SirRumpole likes this.