Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Magic, tricks or anything that fools us

Reactions
Brilliant sleight of hand.

I'm not saying he isn't good, but the camera work was choreographed with his tricks. Always at crucial moments, for instance when he seemed to be putting his hand inside his jacket, the camera panned back to the judges. As he moved his hand behind his back to get something, the camera moved to his head, hiding what he was doing.

Tricks like his would be far more credible if the camera remained focussed on him all the time. Panning to show the judges (feigned) looks of astonishment or to hear the inane comments of the two goons on the side is hardly necessary, when the acts are rehearsed with the judges many times before going live. The broadcast is not the first time they have see this or any of the acts they feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions
I'm not saying he isn't good, but the camera work was choreographed with his tricks. Always at crucial moments, for instance when he seemed to be putting his hand inside his jacket, the camera panned back to the judges. As he moved his hand behind his back to get something, the camera moved to his head, hiding what he was doing.
I don't think anyone expected him to produce birds out of thin air. After all he is billed as an illusionist and that requires perfect timing.

It's called entertainment. It certainly entertained me.

Reactions
I don't think anyone expected him to produce birds out of thin air. After all he is billed as an illusionist and that requires perfect timing.
I agree that perfect timing is needed. But perfect timing with his sleight of hand, not with camera action. There was no need to pan back and forth so often, particularly at critical junctures. I would even suggest that these were edited in after the act to hide mistakes etc.

I'm not trying to knock him, its just that the whole way these shows are presented are just so fake. Just search BGT and fake on the web and there are many examples.

Some posters on this web site picked up many errors even in what was televised.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sirajdatoo/why-its-not-so-shocking-that-the-illusionist-on-britains-got

Value Collector

Have courage, and be kind.
Reactions
Teller explains (yes he talks, lol) how he takes advantage of your attempts to learn to continue fooling you.

This shows what a master of sleight of hand he is.

His talk starts around the 1 minute mark

Wysiwyg

Everyone wants money
Reactions
Really enjoying the Penn and Teller - Fool Us - shows. Sleight of hand takes us away from the realities of life for some moments.

Best deceit I have seen where no one gets hurt.

Wysiwyg

Everyone wants money
Reactions
The illusion is created by the object facets and the camera angle. The learning from this is to look at things from different angles (research).

Reactions
Always great to watch Penn and Teller shows.

Gets even better when they get fooled and the fooler rewrites the story. This is exceptionally good work.