Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Finding stocks and strategies

Reactions
Did some searching around the forum about how people discover their stocks to invest in and most of the posts on the topic were pre-2010 so thought i'd ask again,

how do you guys go about finding the companies before you apply your strategies, do you just go through the asx stock list and start researching/applying your strategies?

Reactions
Did some searching around the forum about how people discover their stocks to invest in and most of the posts on the topic were pre-2010 so thought i'd ask again,

how do you guys go about finding the companies before you apply your strategies, do you just go through the asx stock list and start researching/applying your strategies?
I have been wondering the same thing and doing plenty of reading on this topic
I hope for some replies to come your way
Cheers

Reactions
I have been wondering the same thing and doing plenty of reading on this topic
I hope for some replies to come your way
Cheers

Me, I use Premium Data and they have separate extensive lists of every area of the market.

I only scan the All Ordinaries, removes most of the chaff and leaves about 500 stocks.
That's plenty for me I find and I get better backtest results on my weekly system on that group than the whole market.
Just my :2twocents

Allords.jpg

Reactions
Thanks Boggo
I have been looking at Amibroker as software to use.
Are there tutorials out there to watch how theseinfo gathering is done
Cheers

Reactions
If you mean how do you segregate the data, you don't need to do anything, just read the instructions install their software and it does it all for you.
This guy has some great instruction videos...
http://www.asxmarketwatch.com/

You can create your own text file list of stock too and just place it in the same folder on your computer.
Then via the Amibroker filter function you just select the folder you want to scan or backtest.

AMI Scan.jpg

Reactions
Me, I use Premium Data and they have separate extensive lists of every area of the market.

I only scan the All Ordinaries, removes most of the chaff and leaves about 500 stocks.
That's plenty for me I find and I get better backtest results on my weekly system on that group than the whole market.
Just my :2twocents

View attachment 71160
how much do they cost?

Reactions

Before you get into the world of stock market make sure that you have a clear understanding of the basic of the market movement.Don't run for trading strategies as it will be developed inside you automatically

Reactions
Just look for good companies man.
Depends what you want to do...day trade/invest..etc.
Lots of info out there..read..read...read.
Follow the market..create watchlists..watch the stocks that you are interested in..look at the charts..study the paterns.
Keep an eye on the news.
Put some time into it.

Reactions
I recommend creating a big list of stocks that have plenty of liquidity and then checking them regularly for your setups.