• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Hypothetical Monthly Momentum Portfolio vs. Index

Discussion in 'Trading Diaries and Journals' started by willy1111, Sep 29, 2018.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

1. Newt

Newt

Aha. Thanks (yet again) Skate for sharing.

Skate likes this.
  2. peter2

peter2

@Skate Very interesting that your testing shows 53 is optimal number of positions whereas most trend following systems indicate 15 - 17 with most people happy to use 20.

Why is there such a difference if all systems are trend following systems?

Three entry strategies would get you into trends earlier than most and you mentioned that you're not doubling or tripling up when multiple systems select the same stock. I would accept that your exit strategies would exit slightly earlier than most trend following exits. So overall I accept that the Hybrid strategy will do a slightly better job than most mainstream trend following systems but I fail to understand why there's a huge difference in the optimal number of portfolio positions between apparently similar systems.

3. peter2

peter2

Sorry, I will re-post in the Dump it here thread as it's a question for Skate.

4. willy1111

willy1111

Month 17 - February 2019
    Month17.png
    None of the shares mentioned in this thread are recommendations, nor is this strategy recommended to be traded real time

5. Newt

Newt

Would be nice to know bit more about your hypothetical system willy1111 if possible.

If I understand correctly, your searching for momentum and possibly rebalancing to stocks with highest position score (based on ROC or something else), possibly using Amibroker rotational trading code? Is it possible to share a bit more without giving away specifics you're uncomfortable about?

debtfree likes this.
  6. willy1111

willy1111

Month 18 - March 2019
    Month18.png
    None of the shares mentioned in this thread are recommendations, nor is this strategy recommended to be traded real time

jjbinks, Newt, Cam019 and 3 others like this.
  7. willy1111

willy1111

Month 19 - April 2019
    Month19.png

investtrader, Newt, jjbinks and 2 others like this.