• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

FLT - Flight Centre Travel Group

Discussion in 'Stocks 0-H' started by It's Snake Pliskin, Apr 21, 2005.

1. sptrawler

sptrawler

That is a good point, I tend to book everything myself, but your reasoning is pretty sound, maybe there will be a reconfiguring and consolidation in the industry.

2. galumay

galumay learner

I think you will find that part of the business is not their focus anymore, look at what they are doing with the B2B part of the business, thats where the growth and future lies I suspect.

They are pivoting away from the online travel agent model, which as you say has limited utitlity once the boomers drop off the perch.

3. Value Hunter

Value Hunter

Galumay I think they are a lagging the game in corporate travel. Specialized companies like Corporate travel management and many others are way ahead of them in that space. Besides if all the traditional retail travel agents start like Flight Center decide to get into the corporate travel game then margins in that niche will go down.

Look they might end up doing okay in the long run given the strong balance sheet and high insider ownership of shares but I would not be confident enough to bet on them.

galumay likes this.
  4. galumay

galumay learner

My bad, You are correct VH, I was thinking about WEB and their pivot to the B2B sector. Got my companies mixed up!

(I have no interest in investing in either of them!)

sptrawler likes this.
  5. finicky

finicky

I'm going to watch this as well as WEB, SLK and a few other travel related. Long term monthly charts look pretty precarious to me. I'd consider buys if FLT or WEB went into GFC scale corrections.

Not held

Screenshot_20200227-120544_Drive.jpg

6. sptrawler

sptrawler

7. sptrawler

sptrawler

Another article, says NPAT down 74% on prior corresponding period.
    https://www.finnewsnetwork.com.au/archives/finance_news_network275352.html
    Flight centre travel group (ASX:FLT) report a net profit after tax (NPAT) of $22.1 million, that’s 74 per cent less than the prior corresponding period.

They have slashed their second-half predictions for underlining before tax profit by up to $70 million over uncertainties from the coronavirus outbreak.

Companies amending their travel policy regarding the coronavirus has impacted Flight Centre particularly during the last three weeks.

Leisure travel patterns have also been increasingly affected recently, with some customers reviewing or reconsidering short-term holiday plans and monitoring the virus’s possible spread to locations outside China and Asia in the future.

They will pay a final dividend of 40 cents.

Shares in Flight centre travel group (ASX:FLT) are trading 0.69 per cent higher at $35.24.

8. finicky

finicky

Yes and that $240-300m figure is for underlying Profit Before Tax and there is already a significant reduction of the bottom line to that from one off expenses and a large non cash impairment in the value of a UK business. Flight can go through massive corrections and this might be setting up for one.

sptrawler likes this.
  9. fiftyeight

fiftyeight

Daaaaamn FLT has been smashed. What a missed opportunity....again. Company already in trouble and exposed to a sector that was bound to be hit hard by covid-19.

Bit annoyed at my self for missing a FLT short for a second time.

Attached Files:

10. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Must say I’ve been really impressed from a strictly business view point with the way Flight Center and Qantas have responded to these in believable business capitulation.

Their actions will mean there will be companies for their staff to come back to.

11. greggles

greggles I'll be back!

I'm wondering if things will ever be the same for FLT after this. I suspect the travel industry will take years to recover and many Australians are now more likely to holiday at home rather than travel overseas. The psychological scars from this coronavirus outbreak are going to take a long time to heal.

Add to that the ease of online booking in 2020 and I think that it is inevitable that the role that FLT plays in the travel industry in the future will slowly decline. Essentially the bulk of their revenue comes from commissions from airlines and hotels and other service providers such as tour operators. There is a lot more direct advertising from these kind of companies now and I think the days of package holidays organised by a third party such as FLT now represent a much smaller slice of the travel industry pie than it did say 20 years ago.

Does any here use Flight Centre regularly? I used to use them quite a bit in the 90s and 00s, but since 2010 I haven't used them once.

Dona Ferentes and sptrawler like this.
  12. Country Lad

Country Lad Off into the sunset

Nope, haven't used a travel agent since Europe trip in 1991 and that was the only time - a family business which I had an incentive to use. Country Lass worked in the aviation industry so we have many opportunities for all sorts of deals not available through travel agents. A bit cranky that we will not be able to travel for some time.

greggles likes this.
  13. CBerg

CBerg

Family member worked for Hello World and we used her for international travel, nice and easy outsourcing the painful work sometimes.

That said, she was let go by the agency at the start of this month so pretty unfortunate.