• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Acronym thread

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by MRC & Co, Apr 3, 2008.

Tags:
  1. davede

davede

Saw someone asking what PID was on another thread in relation to broking and CHESS.

Not 100% sure but believe:

PID = Participant IDentification

and am almost certain it refers to the broker who purchased the shares on your behalf - correct me if I'm wrong.

list of PIDs here: https://www.asxonline.com/intradoc-...lement/documents/communications/asx017090.pdf

Also,

HIN = Holder Identification Number, a number unique to you that identifies you as the share holder.

breakdown of the CHESS holding statement: http://www.asx.com.au/products/chess_statement.htm

p.s. just realised how many Daves there are on this forum. Hello brothers!

2. boofis

boofis

I'm nearly gouging my eye balls out reading the "Big R multiple wins" thread in Trading Systems/strategies cause I'm only speculating about what R actually stands for! Help!

3. lindsayf

lindsayf

'R' stands for the amount ( usually in % of account) initially at risk when a trade is entered. So a multi R win means you have profited by a multiple of the initial amt risked at the close of the trade.

4. bos1234

bos1234

Great thread. I've favourited it! Some of these acronyms do not come up via google

5. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

"Favourited"? Oh god, please no.:(

6. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

Yes, it does sound cringeworthy. Why not Google it?
    I wasn't sure myself, so I did. And look what I've found: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/favourite#English

We learn something new every day :)

7. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

I don't know anything about the above source. It certainly doesn't feature in the Oxford.
    It sounds awful.
    I detest turning nouns into verbs.
    Another equally egregious example is "medalled", eg "he failed to medal in the Olympics".
    We have perfectly adequate English words available to convey meaning without bastardising it.

8. Ves

Ves Beyond Good and Evil

9. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

10. McLovin

McLovin

Are you sure that's searching the dictionary and not just their website? OED is a subscription service, not free, AFAIK.

I'm not sure if the word is or isn't in the OED, I just don't think you actually searched it.:)

Language is a dynamic beast though. It wouldn't be the first noun to be turned into a verb.

11. Ves

Ves Beyond Good and Evil

Julia, see my my link. Includes the British and American spellings.

They are both from the same company.

Read the verb usage for favourite when used in internet terminology (also in my post).

Cheers, I'm done here.

12. burglar

burglar

I think y'all getting a little pedantic about it.
    But think F1, they are "gridded"!

13. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

:2twocents

One of my English teachers - yes, many decades ago, in the middle of last century! - considered turning nouns into verbs evidence of the richness and flexibility of a living language. He quoted a report of a rugby game: "The player pockets the ball and refuses to be hounded until the try is complete."

Whenever I come across a similar verbification, I am reminded of the ball-pocketing, unhounded rugby player; it conjures up a picture that describes the event better and more vividly than any "correct" construct could.

"I've bookmarked the link into my list of favourites" may describe the action to any pedant's satisfaction.
    "I've favourites the link" says the same, but shorter and in terms that everybody, who has ever favourited a link, can instantly visualise.

14. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

Probably right, McLovin.

I know it wouldn't. Doesn't mean I won't be resistant to it happening, however. "Favourited"!! It sounds awful, clunky, and just wrong.
    Happy to admit to being a pedant about language.:)