• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Reading a bank statement

Discussion in 'Stock Market Nuts and Bolts' started by Gringotts Bank, Nov 8, 2019.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

1. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

I want this here rather than the general thread so it gets read.

You know when you read your statement and it has some name you have no idea who it is (because companies often use different names). Is there any way to reliably find out who you paid? When I have gone to the branch in the past, they have no idea what to do. In other words, their systems don't allow them to see who is being paid or where money is going - just what you want from a bank, sheer incompetence. I have made suggestions several times but they ignore it.

Solutiions?

2. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Quickest way (In my view) and possibly the best is to run your own debtors and Creditors journal.
    If you have a lot of them run Quick books or MYOB
    then when you get your bank statement you cross the transactions off.

3. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

Not really suitable for me, but good idea thanks.

4. qldfrog

qldfrog

On cba netbank, you can sometimes click on the payment and get more info

Gringotts Bank likes this.
  5. myrtie100

myrtie100

If it's your credit card statement, ring the bank. They have access to more information. Also sometimes googling the description on your statement helps too.

6. rnr

rnr

I occasionally get that problem with my credit card statement. A company, for example, may have 3 or 4 registered business names with only one operating bank account into which all funds get banked. A search of the internet has, for me, always resolved the issue.

Cheers,
    Rob

7. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

Tried all those. Thanks. It's not a big sum so I'll just forget it. Can't be bothered going back to the branch.

8. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

They can find it

be careful with small amounts you don’t recognise

we bank with which bank and found a 6 c and 18 c deposit from PayPal
    Then a week later a $2 withdrawal

we don’t use PayPal we have 3 passwords that are like Fort Knox and a number generator
    But some one cracked all of that.

so if it’s suss go into a branch and check it out before it’s a few grand!

9. myrtie100

myrtie100

It's the banks merchant services department you need to speak to, not the branch. The branch is completely separate and doesn't have access to the info merchant services do. Banks will take unusual activity on your account seriously, you just need to speak to the right person.

Skate and Gringotts Bank like this.
  10. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

I feel every customer should be able to search the entry (say it's "XYZ servies, $300") on a verified website and in one click be taken directly to the company's details and product/service bought. To have "XYZ services" on my account is just plain ridiculous. And to find nothing useful on the net, except that it's some company registered in NSW... come on! There's a 99% chance it's legit, but effing around like this is such a waste of time and so unnecessary.

11. myrtie100

myrtie100

Yes, I totally agree with you - it's frustrating and ridiculous!
    The bank does have access to such a website that you mention. It's a paid service though.
    One lovely guy at Westpac's Merchant Services directed me there once, and guided me through how to use it, but alas I needed an account. He seemed to think this was a recent change - such a shame.

12. Value Collector

Value Collector Have courage, and be kind.

I have googled them before and either found out who they were, or got a phone number and called them to find out which store they were.

It's totally stupid, but some businesses have their eftpos machines set up in their company name rather than the business trading name.

for example "High Street fish'n'chips " might appear a "Robert Greco pty.ltd".

It's so stupid that they do that, they should always have the eftpos set up in the trading name

Newt and Skate like this.