• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

I hate 'Cookies'

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Uncle Festivus, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Uncle Festivus

Uncle Festivus

Following on from the story the other day about sites that keep track of your browsing via cookies ie Facebook, I started to look further into the dark world of who tracks what while you are surfing. Suffice to say I now have cookie blocking & tracking add ons for my browser, Firefox, and looking to find an alternative to Google.

What's the best alternative to Google?

-----------

On another related note about cookies, has anyone else noticed the creeping Americanisation (with an 's'!) of our culture? Apparently now kids ask for 'cookies' instead of biscuits! I refuse to buy any biscuit product labelled as 'cookies', and have emailed Woolworths to complain about their homebrand product which is predominently labelled as such. Not that it will change things, unless a lot more people start complaining......

2. prawn_86

prawn_86 Mod: Call me Dendrobranchiata

Festy,

If you true anonymous browsing then downlaod and install the 'Tor' browser. A bit of work to set-up but if you're IT literate it will be fine. Also is quite slow but it is 100% anonymous

3. Logique

Logique Investor

4. Starcraftmazter

Starcraftmazter

Install Ghostery FF extension, it will block any tracking elements on websites.
    Also install GoogleSharing FF extension which confuse Google.

Also disable 3rd party cookies.

God tier is not using any social networking websites.

5. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

And if you fly Virgin then after the safety demonstration you'll be politely reminded that smoking is prohibited etc and that the lavatories are fitted with smoke detectors and alarms...

Lavatories? Not sure about those but in this country I'd expect to find a toilet behind that door.

And why in 2011 is it necessary to remind anyone that smoking isn't allowed on board? Surely that's about as relevant as a contract stating that goods must be Y2K compliant these days? No doubt there's some silly law which requires them to keep saying it decades after smoking was banned on aircraft.:2twocents

6. Boggo

Boggo

Lavatories, American aircraft with documentation prepared in America and approved for compliance with Aust regulations. If the aircraft Flight Manual (legal on board document assigned to that aircraft) refers to it as lavatory then that is what it is and that is what it has to be referred to as even though the compliance regulation states 'toilet' (below).

Regarding smoking, the airline doesn't decide what goes in the passenger briefing, they just have to comply with the legal requirement of the country that they are operating in and this applies to every airline, not just Virgin.

OZ passenger briefing mandatory requirements...

Attached Files:

7. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

Thought there'd be a some regulation requiring it to be said that way. It does seem a bit odd though that we're still telling people in 2011 that they can't smoke on an aircraft in Australia - maybe it's just me but I thought that would be rather obvious since there's basically no enclosed public space where smoking is permitted these days.

As for my specific reference to Virgin, the only reason for that is that last time I flew Jetstar I noticed that they actually did refer to it as a toilet. Thinking about it, it probably does come down to what the aircraft manufacturer calls it - Virgin seems to have mostly Boeing and a few Embraer planes whereas Jetstar seems to be mostly Airbus.

8. jbocker

jbocker

Americanism. Yes I hate it creeping into our society too. Here is a few that light my fuse...

Color vs Colour...

Halloween....

Ketchup...

Ass vs ****...

LH drive cars on our roads...

and THE worst yet Period vs Full Stop.

and I am not letting the rest of the world off the hook...
    sell your cars here if you like but make sure your advertising shows RH drive vehicles.