• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Becoming an expert at anything

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by Timmy, May 12, 2008.

1. Trembling Hand

Trembling Hand Can be found on the bid

How many hours of pain does this take?

Love it. Watch the end!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2016
  2. burglar

burglar

Terror stricken!! I could never do that.

3. Marekzero

Marekzero

Hey, I'm new to the ASF forums and likely to be buying books soon, can anyone provide a link or more information on Joe's shop?

Thanks.

4. leebelisar

leebelisar

Very interesting topic and I can really relate. I am a newbie Forex trader and I'm doing a lot of reading about Forex because I think this is very crucial to become a good trader. Forex trading is a process. One needs patient and discipline to get through it and become an expert. Experience is also a big consideration to become an expert at anything, where in my case is at trading Forex.

5. gerski

gerski

Hi lee!I am also acquiring info to add up my knowledge in forex through forex forum.I agree that forex is very crucial thats why we need to continously educate ourselves.Experience is one factor to consider since we all know that we learn through our own experience not all but almost all.

6. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

Trembler, you've been awfully quiet. What's the deal?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2016
  7. leebelisar

leebelisar

Hello. Nice meeting you here. We are on the same boat. Hope to share ideas with you so we can learn from each other.

8. burglar

burglar

I cannot find anything on ASF Bookshop! Perhaps you might send PM to Joe Blow.

9. leebelisar

leebelisar

Concentration and focus to a thing that you are good at will help you to be better if not the best. And indeed you have to work hard for it to achieve and enjoy the great reward in the end. Its not like a magic. There is actually a process to take to be expert to something that you do well. It does not necessary to be everything.

10. joannesmith

joannesmith

Hi Timmy! I haven't read the article yet. This is just my opinion regarding it.

I personally believe that it is a combination of talent, and motivation/dedication. These are some keys which I believe will help you on becoming a successful marketer / individual.

Talent
    There are some people who are really good at something even though they just learned doing it. Getting successful is easier when you have a certain "thing" to it. Even though some people doesn't have this you can and may still be successful by being motivated/dedicated to your work.

Motivation and Dedication
    No matter how good you are, if you're lazy or perhaps not motivated enough, you still won't succeed. Success takes time and being a Successful Marketer or in any field in particular requires extensive research, training and time. And believe me! Most of the people won't last a year doing something they don't like.
    Love what you do, and be passionate about it.

With the proper research, training, and a good amount of patience, eventually you'll succeed at anything. If you fail, try to get back up. Learn from your mistakes and then try again. Experience is a really good teacher. This is applicable in the stock market industry and probably in all things in life.

Cheers,

11. Cutty

Cutty

Thnaks for the post, that was a really interesting read!

12. berrys

berrys

Being an expert in anything also brings some risks with it. For instance trading expert wouldnt have guessed the current market crash

13. Alpaca5

Alpaca5

Relevant to this topic (sorry if someone linked earlier, I just skimmed thread):

http://nautil.us/issue/35/boundaries/not-all-practice-makes-perfect

There's no point practising the wrong way, doing the wrong thing, where is the feedback loop?
    The author suggests:
    • Purposeful practice has well-defined, specific goals.
    • Purposeful practice is focused. (full attention)
    • Purposeful practice involves feedback.
    • Purposeful practice requires getting out of one’s comfort zone. (try different approaches)

I guess this is why they say it's so important to document and reflect on all your trades. I think the goal thing is useful, but it's hard if you're dealing with a random outcome event. You can only really evaluate if you stuck to your plan/strategy, evaluating whether the strategy is any good is another thing altogether.

14. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

That article explains a lot. One thing not mentioned is the advantage of support. Someone or a group that believes you can achieve your goals or better, is there to pick you up when you fall and is there to encourage you onwards when the knockers put you down. A strong will is desirable.

15. Boggo

Boggo

What market crash, that was nearly ten years ago !

(click to expand)

Attached Files:

16. cynic

cynic

Correct me if I am wrong, but I recall the Chinese market undergoing a quite sizable correction back when that post was made.

17. webbrowan

webbrowan

I should think that most people have a sixth sense about things - just how pronounced it is. Some people just lack the ineptitude in certain fields of study like finance and trading but excel in others for example crafts, farming, etc that I am absolutely hopeless at. And of course, practice does make perfect so it's always a good idea to keep your eye on the game when you're already in it, right guys?

18. trading@riat

trading@riat

Completely agree with you. Everyone has his/her own area of interest in which he/she can excel.

19. ASFscalp001

ASFscalp001

Becoming expert at anything warrants immense hard work, persistence, dedication, passion, hunger for knowledge and betterment, curiosity, discipline and a little bit of luck!

20. Aussieper

Aussieper

Everybody speaks good of that link in first post but it seems expired now. Can someone brings me to the new link?