• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Young person interested in stocks

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by aik, Oct 12, 2016.

1. aik

aik

hey I was wondering if I bought $500 of wow stock at $24 per share and the shares went up 0.54 % today what amount of profit would i make i know it sounds like a stupid question but just starting to learn about stock market. also what books do you guys recommend to expand my knowledge

2. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Basic Math 101
    Don't forget to deduct your
    Brokerage

3. minwa

minwa

Don't be a lazy ass, the time it takes you to post 2 posts of the same question and start a thread on the forum you could've googled "how to calculate profit on shares" and read them.

Start here: http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/05/stockgainsandlosses.asp

If that's too much effort I would not recommend you read any book.

4. RowanC

RowanC

Hey aik

So if you had $500 worth of WOW and it went up 0.54% that means 500 x 1.0054 = 502.7 or $2.70 profit.

As tech says keep in mind if you are paying commissions at the like of Commsec, you are paying around $40 commission to enter and exit a position - so that's significant on $500 worth of stock.

Take a look at the ASX site. It's quite good for education when starting out.

Good luck.

5. minwa

minwa

At $24 he can't buy $500 worth. He can only buy theoretical (excluding commissions) max of 20 shares which is $480 worth.

6. RowanC

RowanC

Spot on minwa. There's a lot of barriers to trading and investing when you can only buy 20 shares :)

7. BarneyChambers

BarneyChambers

It's also worth considering that with such a small amount of money it is going to be difficult to make any decent amount of money in the short term!