• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

WORST Trading Analysis Software

Discussion in 'Software and Data' started by grubram, Jan 5, 2013.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

1. grubram

grubram

OptionVue 7 must take the cake in my opinion

After paying several thousand dollars for this program they decided that they will not be supplying ASX options data as they have done in the past.
    I have now waited approx. 3 months for them to make up their minds whether or not they will continue to supply it in the future so in the meantime this software is useless to me and just a piece of crap.
    Paul Wise of Options21 is the Australian distributer for this product and he has done absolutely nothing to enlighten the Aussie users about this problem.
    Can anybody shed some light on this problem???

2. CanOz

CanOz Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!

Its very frustrating when you pay thousands for software that is in the end, not supported properly. I did the same thing with TradeGuider back 5 years ago. The software would not connect to verify the license, arguments with the support staff and lack of support...finally i ditched it...just uninstalled it and never looked back.

Beware buying or leasing software that is not well established and well supported through a good support community.

Cheers,

CanOz

3. captain black

captain black

Beware of any software that locks you into a proprietary data feed. At the very least it should support ASCII and Metastock data import. Speaking of Metastock I recall a post from Boggo saying the latest version supports only a single data feed? Glad I went down the Amibroker path all those years ago! Started with Ezycharts & Bodhi Freeway, still got the old CD's lying around at the bottom of the cupboard somewhere :)

4. CanOz

Yeah, there's like a "charting software risk" out there. Same with Tradestation owners...Once a big corporate broker comes along and buys the rights to the software, the users are hung out to dry unless you want to migrate to the broker.

The key here i guess is to keep your code so it could be converted i guess.

I wonder who will be next?:eek:

CanOz

5. captain black

captain black

In terms of managing business risk it's something I've certainly thought a lot more about the last 12 months or so. I was caught off guard by the MF Global blowup in November 2011. Thankfully I'd spread my "broker risk" to a certain degree so it was more or less business as usual after the initial shock but it got me to thinking about other areas of risk I hadn't considered in too much depth. Market risk, slippage etc. are all things you learn to live with after a few years of trading but one thing that does concern me is my reliance on Amibroker.

All my systems are coded in it. I use it daily with my own version of Karthik's VPA for day trading the Kospi and Dax. I know it inside out but could I continue to trade without it? The worst case scenario I can see is if something happened to TJ and the development stopped. I know from what he's said on the mailing list that he's made provisions if something were to happen to him but in reality it's a one-man show. My thinking is that even with a halt in development, Amibroker in it's current form is usable for several years so that gives enough time to learn another way of doing things.... I'm only 44 so I figure I'm not too stuck in my ways yet :)

6. CanOz

Yeah, you'd be right...up and coding on a another platform quickly (I'm two years senior to you BTW).

Certainly gets one thinking a bit though.

Back on topic a little i reckon that IBs TWS as a charting platform is one of the worst platforms out there. Its java script is clunky and the charts are neither pretty or very usable really...

CanOz

7. grubram

grubram

Correction to several thousand dollars ($1895.00 + $500 data feed to make it go) that was in 2006,now I hope everybody is happy (guess who)

8. Boggo

Boggo

Started with a few of those too captain, Ezycharts, Bodhi, Netquote etc.

Metastock is still my main tool but since they were taken over they are no longer happy to just supply software without an associated data support (see two links below).
    Some software no longer support Metastock data, the latest version of MTPredictor being one where it no longer reads Metastock data but uses Ascii data for EOD instead.

Thankfully Premium data make the conversion from Metastock to Ascii an easy process.

http://www.paritech.com.au/products/ms12_pricing.html
    http://www.premiumdata.net/