• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Wise CEOs and Chairmen

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by viciam, Sep 24, 2015.

1. viciam

viciam

If someone asked you a question...Who is the wisest company CEO/Chairman that you have come across? Someone who's character traits you admire, someone who you would follow without a second thought.

Can you think of any one?

2. Faramir

Faramir Very New Investor

Definitely not my boss. :mad:

Sorry.

The obvious answers would include Warren Buffett or Dr Richard Branson but I don't know them personally. I haven't met many CEOs in my lifetime. So the positive things/traits I would say are things that I have read in reports, newspaper articles, etc. So I am getting my info 2nd hand. I like patient and emphatic leaders. I can't stand narcissistic leaders. I like the opposite of a narcissist.

3. luutzu

luutzu

"Behind every great fortune is a crime." - Italian saying.

Well, maybe it's no longer a criminal offense if you're big enough... but still, picking captain of industry to admire for wisdom or innovation is definitely the wrong area to get into.

4. Value Collector

Value Collector Have courage, and be kind.

Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger,

Walt Disney or Bob Iger for a more recent Ceo,

Ray Kroc and Harry Sonneborn.

5. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

Elon Musk.

Wise - tick.

Responsible financial management - ...?!!!

Good financial management is not necessarily a subset of wisdom, since money probably doesn't matter too much to him. Least not as much as the excitement of discovery and change.

6. Value Collector

I think Bob Iger is probably the best Disney CEO since Walt Disney. He has got to be one of the best media executives in history.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2016
  7. luutzu

luutzu

I thought Roy Disney, Walt's brother, was more instrumental to the business than Walt.

8. So_Cynical

So_Cynical The Contrarian Averager

Thinking locally.

Kerr Neilson - PTM Platinum Asset Management.

9. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

I don't think he's ever put a foot wrong in his career. I remember him when he was at BT. High on the trust scale. Very successful too.

10. Superb Parrot

Superb Parrot

Brian McNamee, headed CSL for 23 years and put a smile on every founding investors face.

11. Modest

Modest $PEPE

12. Value Collector

They were a great team, The Walt disney company wouldn't be what it is if you took either Walt or Roy out of the picture, But the big crazy audacious goals came from Walt, If Roy had his way they would never have built Disney land, if I remember correctly Roy didn't want to invest the $2million to make Cinderella,

He did step up to the plate when Walt died though, and finished Disney world

13. luutzu

luutzu

I don't know... very few CEO are admirable. The founder tend to have more admirable qualities, but the management CEO that came after, the way the institution is set up pretty much all managerial CEO are corrupt unprincipled, immoral psychopaths - it's their job.

Say you're the CEO of a coal company. You know it's not the best kind of fuel for the world but what can you do? Your job is to look after the interests of your shareholders... so you hire consultants, call it Clean Coal, do some ads to show how amazing that black rock is, buy a few politicians and even have them say it's good for humanity.
    I mean, you may believe your own coolaid but you're not that dump, which mean you're a lying socio-path who sell your soul for money.

Or you found there's a defect in your product... instead of coming clean you do the cost/benefit analysis and roll the dice. Some of your customers may die, some will sue but what's the costs, what's the benefit?

Or say you're into tech, change the world... heck, most of your technologies you stole from the gov't and years of research by much smarter people and more civic minded people and funded by others... but you will take it if you can and try to sell it as your own invention and patent it.

Then there's the day to day running of the business... how to make more profit and keep your job and your shareholders happy? You cut wages, cut costs, be more efficient, fire people the moment you don't need them, lobby to not pay proper compensation, find ways so that taxpayers could help fund your activities - either thru rebate for your R&D or full blown invasion of another country to expand your market... then you don't pay your fair share of taxes to make more profit.

Or take IBM... selling its machine to Nazi Germany so they can better collect data and organise extermination of innocent people. Or Coke following the Allied, build factories everywhere the Allied took over... then also make Fanta for the other side.

In the end, the business leader with qualities that are admirable - innovation, creativity, creating value, hard-work... these are qualities millions of "ordinary" people have, and some even struggle more to do what they do. So to admire these CEO is really, admiring them because they have money, lots of it. Most of which they got it from exploitation of people and resources and the legal system... rarely are they admired for the value they create.

But yea, there are some I think are somewhat admirable... most would be Ben Franklin... entrepreneur, inventor, scientists, statesman, genius. Conrad Hilton of Hilton hotels; Ray Croc; Ben Graham and Phillip Fisher because they're generous geniuses who know what's important in life as well.

14. luutzu

luutzu

Cool... Heard a story that Walt waited for Roy to be away so he could put some golden roof on one of their parks. Too extravagant for Roy's taste.

Yea, also heard that after Walt passed away Roy renamed the company to the Walt Disney Company... that's brotherly love for ya.

15. Value Collector

Yeah, it was some of the fittings on the castle in my avatar that Walt had gold plated while Roy was away, the crazy thing is on opening day the most of the gardens were not planted, Because they ran out of money, but castle looked great, lol.

Roy named the Florida theme park Walt Disney world, it was originally just going to be called Disney world, to distinguish it from Disneyland in California, I don't think the listed company was renamed till after Roy died, they merged a few companies together, eg Wed enterprises, Walt Disney pictures and the retlaw assets together and called it, the Walt Disney company, it basically brought all the publically listed and privately held family assets together, walts private company called retlaw, owned parts of the business separately eg, it owned 50% share in Mary Poppins and a bunch of other films, it owned disneylands monorail which it leased to Disneyland and some other assets.