• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

** Windows 10 **

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by noirua, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Pager

Pager

Not sure why all the negativity about windows 8 or 8.1, almost became fashionable to not like it but ask most people and all it came down to, was not having the traditional start icon and menu in the bottom left hand corner! Easily fixed with a download of something like classic shell, once that is fixed it’s as good as W7 for us average joes :xyxthumbs

As to 10, well it’s “Free for a limited time only" and Most computers have a life of what 3 to 5 years and how many people in the past would bother getting the latest version of windows on there PC if an upgraded version of Windows was released, very few apart from the geeks I would guess, so all I can see is that 10 is being used as a promotional tool for Microsoft, cant for the life of me see why the average person should even bother until they upgrade to a new PC that will come with whatever the current version is.

2. SmokeyGhost

SmokeyGhost

Like Pixel, I had no troubles downloading Windows 10 although in the process I elected not to allow the system to set aspects as recommended but reviewed each as the the upgrade proceeded, eg I did not allow Microsoft Edge (the replacement for Internet Explorer) to be my default browser.

Essentially, I went through every available option for Settings and changed it if I considered it wasn't right for me. Took about 30 minutes. Also got rid of the annoying tiles by right clicking each, turning off “live” and unpinning it I'm not computer literate by the way.

The Win 7 type “Control Panel” is still there by selecting the Windows icon at the bottom left, selecting All Apps, scrolling right down to Windows System and expanding that.

Still functions with my 10 year old printer too (when my supply of printer cartridges runs out I may get a replacement one) which is surprising but then I don't use a computer for much apart from emails, banking and browsing.

So far I have had no issues at all with Win 10 and nether have my children with their laptops.

3. MrBurns

MrBurns

Great summary pixel but I cant see a reason to upgrade at all, anyone out there know of one ?

4. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Ummmm, no, not really.

What extra does it give the Win 7, 8 doesn't and if there are any benefits, are they worth the trouble ?

I don't really see what Win 8 gives over XP, I only have Win 8 because my XP computer died and I had to buy a new one.

5. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

I had a couple of reasons:
    • Win 8.1 was the only option when I bought the new box last year. It dropped its bundle a few times.
    • I suspect that Win 7 support will move down the list of priorities; so I wanted to check out its replacement.
    • I also have an ancient laptop running Vista. But for a useful trial run, that's too slow.
    At the end of "Visitor Season" at "Maison d'Arty", I'll try if I can replace Vista.

6. MrBurns

MrBurns

I've got Windows 7 home premium, I don't want to upgrade as it might stuff everything up that's working ok now.

7. SmokeyGhost

SmokeyGhost

Mr Burns, you do have a one month period in which to roll back to Win 7 from Win 10.

8. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

The question still hasn't been answered, "why do it at all ?". If it's just a case of getting the latest glitz (or glitch) then I really couldn't be bothered.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a list of new enhancements that will improve my user experience and/or productivity, and so far I haven't heard any.

9. SmokeyGhost

SmokeyGhost

Then don't upgrade. It's your computer and so your decision.

10. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Indeed, but what made you decide you had to have it ?

11. MrBurns

MrBurns

I don't trust that process either, I've got too many programs collected over the years that I use and I just don't want to risk stuffing it all up.

I'll upgrade when they notify everyone that they're withdrawing support for the older versions and I don't think that will happen for a very long time.

12. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

The upgrade remains free if installed by 29 July 2016; which gives you one year to save $100+.
    No rush for now.

However, I've been digging around and found that the upgrade from Vista is NOT free and will cost a full license fee, around $119. Micro$oft indeed. Not only that, it won't even be possible to upgrade, but must be done as a "clean installation". Programs and data will be wiped and need to be reloaded/ reinstalled afterwards.
    Time to give them "the finger" and continue with Vista (or XP - same thing) for as long as possible.

13. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

It's a back to the future solution to re engage with disenchanted Win7 users who ventured into applet Win8.

Win8 was employed to provide a touch screen style interface and the hope was that PC users would follower the trend, but they didn't. Win8 also has some pretty annoying traits ...it's the failure Windows before Win95.:rolleyes:

14. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

I've been using Win 8 for a while and I don't have a lot of problems with it, but for what I use it for it doesn't seem to provide any more features (apart from a more modern look) than XP. One gets the feeling that Microsoft has to keep a lot of people employed and so they keep foisting new stuff on us.

As for touch screens, why would I want greasy fingermarks all over my screen ?
    :D

15. Logique

Logique Investor

I didn't upgrade to Vista or Win 8 because of the stories I'd heard about them.

Win 7 is not appreciably better than XP, but once MS discontinued support for XP, there was little choice but to upgrade.

The best reasons I can think of to go to Win 10 would be:

- if MS decide to discontinue support for Win 7, which will happen at some point
    - it's free until June 2016

16. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

it's free until 29th July 2016

17. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

My tablets are Samsungs, so Win8 is not applicable to me. I personally found Win8 on my laptops very laborious, so I just put a Win classic shell around it.

XP had it's failings, where Win8 took great advantage of 64bit

Fingerprints :D

18. MrBurns

MrBurns

I think at least wait til it's debugged.

19. nioka

nioka

Windows 10

Is anyone switching to windows 10. I've gone to windows 8 and been offered a free switch to 10. Any comments on either 8 or 10 appreciated. :confused:

20. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

Re: Windows 10

I switched my Windows 8.1 desktop (no touch screen, no gaming, no social media, full blown desktop for Office work) over to Windows 10 and haven't found a difference yet.
    However, I did deactivate all the stuff I don't need, such as Microsoft-selected news, weather, social nonsense, Xbox, etc; I also blocked "assistance" I don't want to trust M$ with, such as One-Drive, Live-Mail, and their new Browser that "customizes your experience" according to your search and visit history - in other words: peppers you with advertising and selective search results that THEY think could persuade you to fall for.

The MS Office products that I use continue to work: Word and Excel 2010, even an old Excel 97. My Browser and Mail systems are Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird; both work as before. So do my security apps, AVG and Malwarebytes. No difference to Windows 7 either, although for the time being, I persist with Windows 7 on my other desktop PC.