• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Most liked posts in thread: Why do car drivers try to kill cyclists?

1. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

Respect and courtesy to others goes a long way to improving safety on the roads indeed it helps with most things in life.

The vast majority of cyclists I see are doing just that. Riding sensibly and with regard to other traffic. Sadly, as with anything, the few who ride like idiots give the rest a bad name.

Muschu, Bill M and Zero Sum Game like this.
  2. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Serious Riders don't use a phone.
    Well I haven't seen one in a peloton.
    But seriously what a stupid comment.

One of my clients daughters was riding at Westlake's on the morning of her wedding
    A 22 yrs old TEXTING killed her. Cops just looked at the phone.

Mate of mine was clipped during a ride we were on the IDIOT gets out of the car with phone to ear
    yelling "Gotta Go just hit someone on a bike"

Being the mild mannered Duck I am I grabbed his phone and stomped the crap out of it.
    reminding him that he was next!

notting and sptrawler like this.
  3. dutchie

dutchie

Muschu and Porper like this.
  4. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

We have the 1 meter rule here and 1.5 meters where speed limit is over 60 k.

I’ve noticed a huge difference when riding and feel safer.
    Now all we need is to block the ability to text while in a car and I’ll be
    100% safer.

qldfrog likes this.
  5. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

to.jpg
    Gimme a metre and I'll take a mile :)

Porper likes this.
  6. Bill M

Bill M Self Funded Retiree

Why do car drivers try to kill cyclists?

Because we live in a world of ME ME ME ME ME. They just don't give a f**k. All they care about is themselves and regard cyclists as garbage getting in their ME world. For a better word, no respect for other humans. I'm not a cyclist but I am an everyday pedestrian, you should see the foul looks I get when I cross a pedestrian crossing. Some of them shaking their heads because I'm taking up their valuable time. Slow done and take your time ya fools or get off the roads.

Zero Sum Game likes this.
  7. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

Single file staying close to the road edge is obviously less risk but there are still lycra boys testing the patience of motor vehicle drivers. Some roads are simply not wide enough so cyclists and cars have to squeeze past each other which increases the risk of accident.

Muschu likes this.
  8. robots

robots hello

hello,

who knows 2bad, plenty of idiots out there

make sure have have insurance, our group Bicycle Victoria has insurance for cyclists which is outstanding, covers income, medicals, damage to bike etc

thankyou
    robots

9. saiter

saiter

because he's a ********?

10. Stan 101

Stan 101

Since riding motorcycles on the road since I have had a licence I've come to the conclusion that you simply need to take risks everytime you don the helmet.
    With my car driver's hat on, I have seen some stupid things bike both motorcyclists and bicyclists. Some drivers get stressed by two wheeler's actions, as I have. Some simply don't control their anger and may take it out in ways you have explained.
    Putting on my bike rider's hat again there are two things I need to do.
    1. Set a good example. I am hard to see and I do scare other users of the road when they do see me. They have a genuine fear of causing an accident. Two push bikes riding side by side on a narrow laned road is a real obstacle to overcome.
    2. Ride defensively and expect everyone is out to get you. It's cold comfort to be able to blame a car driver for the accident when your spine is snapped and you are filled with gravel rash.

No easy answer to your post. Accept the dangers, ride on bike paths or stop riding are your choices unfortunately.

Stay safe,

Cheers,

11. 2BAD4U

2BAD4U

I agree that there are some cyclists out there who don't do us any favours. If we want the respect on the roads we do have to earn it. That aside, the mind boggles at the level of intelligence of some of these people.

12. roofa

roofa

Unfortunately most people don’t believe the roads are for every-one, only powered vehicles.
    I ride over 250 Ks a week and every time I’m out there some-one will remind me of that fact by just missing one of us.
    Education will come in some form down the track with over 1 million bike sales annually.
    Bike awareness along the lines of the “look left, look right, look bike” ads we had years ago would be a help.
    Just hope we live long enough to see the change in attitudes.

13. drsmith

drsmith

Cyclists occasionally do some interesting things on the road, the kind of things the same person would be unlikely to do in their car.

14. Prospector

Prospector Not a scaredy cat anymore

Probably for the same reason that some cyclists expect drivers to take more care for the cyclists safety than they are prepared to do themselves. There are idiots on the road and some drive cars and others ride bikes.

15. MrBurns

MrBurns

I've said it before if you ride a bike on a public road you're looking for trouble, it's dangerous enough in a car.

16. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

You get their number plate and report the incident to police.

Cyclists are an obstacle for a car driver to negotiate.Especially when the cyclist is riding past a parked car at the same time a car is approaching from the other way.This leaves a narrow carriageway for a vehicle coming from behind and errors in judgement can be made.

Most of the time cars have to drive near or over the centre line to give a safe distance to a bicycle rider whose line is never constant.
    I.e. moving out and around parked cars, avoiding holes and rocks near the side of the road and crossing roads in a non-car manner.

And this ...