Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Who Said People In High Places Should Have Morals & Ethics?

Reactions
Hi,

When will these corrupt people be made accountable and be severely punished for the Laws, Acts, Etc they broke or are the judges just inept and don't (cannot) relate to real people in the REAL World. Earlier this week I watched a replay of a 4 Corners episode entitled “In the Name of the Law” with new revelations on how the Catholic Church kept the lid on child sex abuse allegations. Yet those perpetrators of those heinous crimes should be found and punished to the fullest extent of the law, instead of the slap on the wrist and the church leaders/judges making an ass of the law.

Then this morning I read that disgraced MP Tim Owen faces the threat of up to 10 years in jail for lying to the NSW corruption watchdog over his shady dealings with property developers. What do they mean by a threat? If the law states 10 years, then he gets 10 years and nothing less - irrespective of who they are! Anything less, then why have a maximum of that length, or is that just for the ordinary person in the street?

Following a distinguished 32-year career in the Royal Australian Air Force (including being the former deputy commander of the Australian forces in Afghanistan & Iraq) - Well maybe he was doing shady deals in the forces but was fortunate not to be caught out. After all if you retired (at his rank) after 32 years service your fortnightly pension wouldn’t be far off $10,000 so why risk your career (with all the perks that go with it for a paltry 10 grand - GREED.

Given that I have been on the unemployment tip for 18 months now - including having completed a five month course, I haven’t robbed or stolen any money off anyone, so I don’t see why people (like him) should be making decisions for my best interests - Sorry (for being the cynic I am) but the majority of those people in high places don’t care about the dregs like me at the bottom of the social ladder…..

Oh well I feel much better now for getting that off my chest:)

Reactions
Re: Who Said People In High Places (Politics, Religion Etc) Should Have Morals & Ethi

Yes , you are correct. People at the highest levels of society get away with more than those of us considered to be be at the lower end of the food chain.

Why, because they have mates at the top, they know where the bodies are buried and can embarrass others at the the top if they are made examples of.

Although I don't particularly like Pauline Hanson, they way she was sent to gaol with the help of Tony Abbott, and then acquitted after a long legal battle, shows the depths that people in power will go to in order to stain people who are a threat to them.

But don't expect things to change anytime soon. The plutocrats are now in power and they will do anything to stay there.

Reactions
Re: Who Said People In High Places (Politics, Religion Etc) Should Have Morals & Ethi

Welcome to ISFAT;

welcome_splash.jpg

Knobby22

Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast
Reactions

Yea, Calliope, true.
They always turn up at the Spring Racing Carnival with huge banners saying, do you like horses, then you should hate horse racing. I also like horse riding, I must be evil making those animals carry me around.

Honestly, they have nothing better to do than have a whinge.

But I'm with you piggybank, nothing worse than greedy dishonest politicians and others in positions of power.

Reactions

Hi,

When will these corrupt people be made accountable and be severely punished for the Laws, Acts, Etc they broke or are the judges just inept and don't (cannot) relate to real people in the REAL World. Earlier this week I watched a replay of a 4 Corners episode entitled “In the Name of the Law” with new revelations on how the Catholic Church kept the lid on child sex abuse allegations. Yet those perpetrators of those heinous crimes should be found and punished to the fullest extent of the law, instead of the slap on the wrist and the church leaders/judges making an ass of the law.

Then this morning I read that disgraced MP Tim Owen faces the threat of up to 10 years in jail for lying to the NSW corruption watchdog over his shady dealings with property developers. What do they mean by a threat? If the law states 10 years, then he gets 10 years and nothing less - irrespective of who they are! Anything less, then why have a maximum of that length, or is that just for the ordinary person in the street?

Following a distinguished 32-year career in the Royal Australian Air Force (including being the former deputy commander of the Australian forces in Afghanistan & Iraq) - Well maybe he was doing shady deals in the forces but was fortunate not to be caught out. After all if you retired (at his rank) after 32 years service your fortnightly pension wouldn’t be far off $10,000 so why risk your career (with all the perks that go with it for a paltry 10 grand - GREED.

Given that I have been on the unemployment tip for 18 months now - including having completed a five month course, I haven’t robbed or stolen any money off anyone, so I don’t see why people (like him) should be making decisions for my best interests - Sorry (for being the cynic I am) but the majority of those people in high places don’t care about the dregs like me at the bottom of the social ladder…..

Good on you pb.

I totally concur.

It seems that some of our parliamentary representatives do not see it as an honour to serve.

Or is it our society that breeds this attitude?

gg

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions

Good on you pb.

I totally concur.

It seems that some of our parliamentary representatives do not see it as an honour to serve.

gg
Agree, and also wonder about the last question from gg.

pb, I'm sure most of Australia shares your exasperation and disgust. It must be doubly difficult to accept when looking for a job in a time when there are many more unemployed than jobs available.
All I can say is that I think you're way more likely to find a job before we see politicians getting their greedy snouts out of the collective trough. Good luck.

Reactions

Not necessarily. I think most politicians go into Parliament with a desire to improve the country but then get caught up in the gang mentality of party politics. A tribal war of us against them where winning is the only object and policy comes second, and where there is very little room for a dissenting opinion once the power structure (factions) decide what policy suits them the best.

Of course they occasionally make soothing noises about being kinder and gentler to each other, but I think we all know that is a croc, because only a short time passes before they are at each others throats again.

Once a politician gets into Parliament they generally become remote from society, only emerging from their ivory tower at elections and expecting us to trust them again.

If more policies were designed by party members, rather than coming from the top down, then there would be a more inclusive system and greater incentive for the ordinary person to join a party and make a contribution.

Craton

Mostly passive, contrarian.
Reactions
Hi,

+1. What's that old adage, one rule for the rich, one for the poor...
I'm happy to see the corrupt !@#$holes outed, not too happy that they are not taken to task like you and me would be.

Yes , you are correct. People at the highest levels of society get away with more than those of us considered to be be at the lower end of the food chain.

Why, because they have mates at the top, they know where the bodies are buried and can embarrass others at the the top if they are made examples of.

Although I don't particularly like Pauline Hanson, they way she was sent to gaol with the help of Tony Abbott, and then acquitted after a long legal battle, shows the depths that people in power will go to in order to stain people who are a threat to them.

But don't expect things to change anytime soon. The plutocrats are now in power and they will do anything to stay there.

My bolds. Reminded me that I watched Michael Moore's - Capitalism. A love story, on the box last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLH7wx7g4k8. What an eye opener!

Great little flick on how the GFC was "created" by the Plutocrats! Those dirty, filthy fat cats on Wall Street that controlled (probably still do) should all be locked away for life and so too, the pollies that allowed them to screw not only the American people but the rest of us.

Good on you pb.

I totally concur.

gg

Must be our society as most of us a simply kept too busy living so we can work, as opposed to working so we can live. Breeds into us a kind of apathy me thinks.