• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Who owns your Medical Records?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pixel, Jul 10, 2017.

1. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

Last month, I had to select a new GP closer to my residence.
    So I visited him and signed the paperwork for my medical records to be transferred from the practice that I attended for the past 5 years or so.
    To my surprise, I received an invoice with the following points attached:
    While I have no problem with them requesting I pay for a service - especially given that my records are quite voluminous - it astounds me that a Medical Centre can claim ownership of my personal health records. I have since been digging a little into the matter and found references to "Copyright". Apparently, legal eagles can argue that a medical diagnosis, a result of a blood or urine test, even an Xray or MRI image of my innards, are the result of a creative process and therefore subject to copyright ownership.
    Who, with a modicum of common sense, would have thought of that? :confused: :(

2. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

I was thinking about this matter the other day, re transferring to other doctors.

There should be discriminations between matters of "fact" ie results of tests which should be the same no matter who does them, and matters of opinion, like doctor's diagnoses which may vary from doctor to doctor.

The patients should own the facts, the doctors can own their own intellectual property relating to their interpretation of the facts.

pixel likes this.
  3. McLovin

McLovin

I think it would be much harder to prove copyright if push came to shove for things like MRI/X-Rays than it would from consultation notes. There is of course nothing preventing them from asserting they own those things.

The ATO has asked the same question...

http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid="LIT/ICD/VID911/2005/00001"

pixel likes this.
  4. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

... and assert they do: it's been indeed a Primary Medical Centre that I went to in the past. They are open from 7am to 10pm, even on weekends, which is really convenient for a desk jockey "working" the same hours as other businesses incl GPs.

5. Newt

Newt

In the not too distant future you should start to get more and more of your records sent to your personal "eHealth record". Most EHR systems around the world have had a long rocky road to delivering expected benefits and cost savings. Arguably in Aus, we have suffered through many years of poorly planned and invested resources to create overly complex unusable informatics systems.
    The medical sector lives in hopes we'll finally enjoy what countries like Denmark have enjoyed for many years, along with online access to your files pixel.
    Many medicos worry about their work and diagnoses become a "commodity", challenges ensuring online security for such private material, and who should have access and when.

Let's pray the folks that developed MyGov don't have anything to do with it all though. Shudder......

6. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

... nor the folks that built the Census online system, and many similar Government White Elephants.
    As to security and privacy: I'm too much an IT man myself to trust in the safety and privacy of anything that's connected to the Interwebz. Which is why I won't subscribe to eHealth either.

Here in Oz, an additional consideration comes into play: Once eHealth is fully established with everyone's DNA profile and pre-existing health concerns on file, the odds become very short for the Insurance Industry lobbying the Government to be granted access - and "tailor the best possible insurance policy for clients".

SirRumpole likes this.