• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Which printer to buy for B&W printing, copy and scan?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bill M, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Bill M

Bill M Self Funded Retiree

This forum is a world of knowledge and here I am again looking for another product that I need help with.

OK, I don't do anything printing wise in colour. I do some copying of documents and I do some scanning. All I need is a simple product that doesn't need colour cartridges to print B&W.

I do not want to be forced to buy colour cartridges to print B&W.

Scanning to PDF is important too.

Anyone have any recommendations for home use? I am using a HP G85 Officejet that is about 15 years old, it doesn't scan to PDF and now it plays up a lot. I need to retire it.

Ideas?

2. macca

macca

I have been using Brother MFC units for 10 years or more, they do have colour as well but the inks are all separate carts, so if you don't use colour you won't need to replace them

They are inkjet so no where near as good as laser but they are all I need and are usually about $100 new.

They have a flat bed scanner, copy into PDF and have a hidden paper holder so that the paper can be stored ready and stays flat.

I leave it in sleep mode for up to 8 hours and should I ever wish to print something I simply click print and away it goes.

I usually get them at Officeworks or Harvey Norman, they also stock the carts, both Brother and Halidad

Faramir likes this.
  3. bellenuit

bellenuit

I have an Epson WF-3520 for nearly 4 years now and it has been an excellent printer. It only cost $149 at the time. There probably is a newer model at the same price point, if not less.

I do not print a huge amount, but it has been pretty mush flawless, particularly when it comes to paper feeding and double sided printing, which frequently caused jams on my previous HP printer. It does two sided printing (and some additional things I never use such as printing labels and photos on photographic paper), scanning (including to PDF), copying (1 to 1, 1 to 2, 2 to 1 and 2 to 2) from either the flatbed or document feeder and also faxing which probably no one uses.

It prints colour or B & W, so if you never use colour you won't need to replace the 3 individual colour cartridges that come with it. Although each cartridge; 3 colours and 1 black; are each about $16, I discovered that I could buy compatible cartridges online for a fraction of the Epson price. I recently bought 2 complete sets of 4 cartridges for just $29. I have tried 2 of them so far and they have worked without issues.

Although your needs might indicate you could buy a very cheap printer to give you the functionality you want, the risk with a cheap no-name brand is that the paper feeding may not be so good. You don't want to spend your time fixing paper jams. So it might be better to spend more on a good branded printer that offers colour printing even if you never use that feature.

For B & W only, laser printers are also an option and their black ink toner costs a lot less. But I think the toner has a shorter time to expiry than the ink jets, so you might end up with wasted toner if your usage is low.

4. SuperGlue

SuperGlue

5. joea

joea

I purchased a Brother HL-L2380DW Laser printer(black and white).
    Wireless, scan, copy, etc but not auto feeder. Simple to connect.
    Its not covered in buttons you do not want and has no fax.
    Simple, great print.
    cheers

6. sptrawler

sptrawler

We are in the same boat as yourself, had an old HP 1005 B&W, but since we started using online SMSF required more versatility.
    We ended up buying a Samsung M2885FW about a year ago, absolutely great, double side print auto feed, scan to pdf.

7. Belli

Belli

Newbie and first post.

Bought an Epson WorkForce WF-2660. Does all the whizzbang stuff. Like a number of people I rarely or don't use colour so I went into the system printer settings and selected print in greyscale only. Now it only prints, scans, etc in mono unless I specifically need to print in colour.

8. ROE

ROE

If you want absolutely dirt cheap to print, Epson EcoTank Printer, I used them for a few years
    they use ink bottle to fill and they are cheap ... each bottle can print about thousands of pages.

Printer is a bit more expensive but worth it ..can print..copy and scan

http://www.epson.com.au/ecotank/

9. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

I would buy the cheapest Canon multi function printer.
    My MP490 cost me about $70 many years ago and hasn't missed a beat.
    You can set the default to print b&w; it will work even if the colour cartridge is empty.

10. sptrawler

sptrawler

Forgot to mention, it is a laser B&W printer and cost $180
    Definitely shop around, there are heaps of good printers going cheap, especially B&W.
    As the other members have said, most brands appear to be reliable and work well.

11. Belli

Belli

Yeah, you can get pretty good deals on a run out model. My multi-function cost $120 earlier this year. And as I said by altering the setting to print only greyscale, it still works without the need to change the colour cartridges. The black cartridges I got in a pack of 10 for $90 and they'll last heaps.

12. noco

noco

I have just had to discard my Cannon 7600 after 8 years and have recently purchased a Brother DCP 1510 laser printer with scanner for $143.....I find it OK although it is not a colour printer....No more jet ink.

13. Faramir

Faramir Very New Investor

My Brother MFC-7420 multi function printer has been going strong since Sept 2007. It has outlasted 2 iMacs and I believe it will outlast my third iMac. I like keeping things simple as well and I only print B&W.

14. Bill M

Thank you everyone for your replies. When I was in Officeworks the other day the knowledgeable sales rep also pointed me in the direction of a Brother MFP Monochrome laser printer. He said it came with a toner that would give me 1200 pages to start off with, I think the price was around $200. He did mention that a lot of cheaper inkjet printers required to have colour cartridges at least in the machine if you want it to print B&W. I take the point that a few of you said, the colour cartridge can run out but you just keep it in the machine and it will print B&W anyway. At this point I'm leaning towards a Brother, print, copy, scan (no fax) Monochrome Laser Printer. Thanks again.

Faramir and Quant like this.
  15. Logique

Logique Investor

Ditto. Canon comes with good software and is reliable. Mine has been a terrific investment.

16. Bill M