Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

What's with Hoods on Jackets? (1 Viewer)

Reactions
I'm showing my age here, but I am having trouble here understanding what it is with with our younger folk wanting to hide their heads under a hooded jacket?

When I see them, I immediately think "criminal" or "thug" - this is probably quite unfair, but hey, if I was walking down a dark lane and see a bunch of "teens" coming towards me dressed like this - I would walk the other way.

I must admit, I also had a problem with American baseball caps - worse when our Aussie kids started wearing them backwards - what's wrong with a good old Akubra?

I had enough trouble living through Punks, Bovver Boys, and Mods what's with this sly/sneaky hooded look?

Bring back the rockers!

Have a great weekend - by the way :)

Nyden

G.E. Money Genie
Reactions
Well, even though I'm a young fella myself, I too feel mystified by it.

Don't know about wearing an akubra though, but I certainly have my share of Panama, & fedora hats though? I find them quite stylish.

I guess there's also function over form though; & I can certainly understand wearing hoods in the winter. I myself even have a big ol' snow jacket, which has a water-proof hood that I wear if it's raining really hard.

Who has the right to question the fashion trends of each new generation though? I'm sure even the old folks back in their day wore attire that displeased the previous!

Reactions
Well, even though I'm a young fella myself, I too feel mystified by it.

Don't know about wearing an akubra though, but I certainly have my share of Panama, & fedora hats though? I find them quite stylish.

I guess there's also function over form though; & I can certainly understand wearing hoods in the winter. I myself even have a big ol' snow jacket, which has a water-proof hood that I wear if it's raining really hard.

Who has the right to question the fashion trends of each new generation though? I'm sure even the old folks back in their day wore attire that displeased the previous!

Hey Nyden, when I was a young fella - way back when, I had this favourite blue vellure hooded jacket - would have been super emabarrased to have ever used the hood - even if was as cold as hell in my 3 year stint in Melbourne

Even our 1960's style "Parker Jackets" had hoods - but who would have ever really used them?

Reactions
It's purely a fashion thing, with whoever wearing whatever, seeing it somewhere and being told it's cool.

The best and quickest way for something to become un-cool is for relative oldies to start doing it!

Timmy

white swans need love too
Reactions
The best and quickest way for something to become un-cool is for relative oldies to start doing it!

I'm doing my bit!

Each night I sit in front of the PC and as summer passes I find myself putting the hood up on my old windcheater to keep warm. Let me tell you ... it is a far from fashionable look ...:D

explod

explod
Reactions
Have noticed Asian lads walking home from school often taunted, they wear hoods and look away on aproaching groups from whom problems could be expected.

It appears to be a fashion thing in the main.

No where near as bad as our anti terrorist troups in star wars hoods and black forboding uniforms

Reactions
It's probably a UK export.

Hoodies, as they, and the wearers of hoodies are called, have been the uniform of the thuggish British underclass for years.

I guess it was only a matter of time before young Aussie malcontents picked it up.

:2twocents:2twocents

Reactions
It's probably a UK export.

Hoodies, as they, and the wearers of hoodies are called, have been the uniform of the thuggish British underclass for years.

I guess it was only a matter of time before young Aussie malcontents picked it up.

:2twocents:2twocents

Add to that the influence of the latest American "music" which seems to all revolve around bling, bitches and money.

God Bless America :rolleyes:

theasxgorilla

Problem solved... next bubble.
Reactions
It's called style gents. You've heard the phrase: you don't know what you don't know. Suffice to say, it sounds like you don't know what you don't know.

Bill M

Self Funded Retiree
Reactions
I live on the beaches in Sydney, the surfers wear it as do their girlfriends hanging around the beach. It's cool man, a fashion thing. Not only that have, you seen the Bonds add on TV, advertising Hoodies with the young couple in a music store, quite a good add directed at the late teens. Now what about those dorks who wear jeans 3 times bigger than their size then let it slide under there ar$e and expose their 1959 style undies on the top, are they cool or what.:casanova:

Reactions
go the hoodies!!

I think there great. although l think you look like a twat on a nice sunny hot day with it draped over your head, bit like the wallies wearing beanies on hot days, must make the head stink!

Nothing better than when your standin out in the cold and you have a warm hoodie to keep the ol head warm.

agreed Bill, the pants hanging under the bum cheeks just down right makes me mad :mad:

Reactions
It's very warm and comfortable, and comforting in a 'conformist' sort of way.

You can't really go wrong with hoodies and jeans when there isn't an 'occasion'.

-ed

Reactions
Wearing your jeans hung low is a response to 'everyone's' favourate (c)rap stars doing the same. It gives gansta cred, because, when you go to jail, they take your belt off you (so you don't hang yourself), so therefore, your jeans ride low. Same again with wearing shoes without laces, or very loosly done up. When you go inside, they take the laces out of your shoes. So, make sure you have a pair of velcro shoes handy when the cops rock up!

As for ties, their only role (apart from getting caught in things, and dipping in your soup) is to hide buttons. Comparisons can also be drawn between ties and V8's though :p:

Prospector

Not a scaredy cat anymore
Reactions
I've been wearing hooded jackets for ages, they keep your head and neck warm :confused:

The fashion I dont like is seeing the waistbands of underwear on low slung jeans. Now that serves no purpose!

Reactions
Wearing your jeans hung low ...... when you go to jail, they take your belt off you (so you don't hang yourself), so therefore, your jeans ride low. ...

well my mate's second cousin has been wearing a hood for decades - then again she's a nun. :rolleyes:

sprinter, by the way - depending on which jail you go to, but they not only take your belt (so your jeans ride low) - they also take you undies down :eek: better not go there. -

but presumably if your pants "ride low" (as you say) and your undies "ride high", then you escaped with your virginity intact. ;)

:topic My son in UK at the moment - tells me he has a great jacket - keeps out the weather etc. Then tells me he paid for it by volunteering for medical guinea pig stuff. Says ( excitedly) that they'll give him $4000 to cut his lill finger off and sew it back on again !! -
I swear I don't understand kids :confused:

Reactions
Mostly it has to do with music and fashion,

Look at the 1990's and the transition from a grunge-dominated music scene to Brit Pop, with the rise of Oasis and Blur etc. These guys had the whole anorak/parka look sewn up (pardon the pun).

Don't underestimate the infleunce of skaters either, back when skateboarding was a real fringe sport in the early-mid 90's, loose jeans and hoodies were already part of the scene. Now that it's "cool", everyone just goes along with the flow.

jman

Reactions
Timmy - it's true lol.
I wish I was quick enough to reply that, whilst he's at it, why not get a brain transplant as well ? ;)

But instead, I think I immediately thought of the lady on the anti-speeding ads / billboards with the hooked little finger - something about "noone will think big of you etc " ;) - and I replied , "why not get a few more organs cut off and stitched back?"

PS it had the desired effect - his mum sent him some more money :eek:

Attachments

• brain.jpg
    brain.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 138
Reactions
Umm... You do realise this fashion isn't new? It's been around quite a while now and I actually thought it had peaked and is on the way down. Maybe not?

Users who are viewing this thread