• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

What is the All Ords?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by Fangblade1, Jun 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Fangblade1

Fangblade1

I've seen the news where they show you the all ords and currency rates etc etc but I never paid attention to it.

What is all ords and what does it mean when it goes up and down on the charts? How does it affect your investment/shares?

On the chart there are bottom numbers of 10, 12, 14, 16 and on the side there's 4870, 4880, 4890, 4900, 4910, 4920. What do these numbers represent?

I know this is another silly question of mine, hopefully it wont take to long to explain to a noob like me.

Thank in advance guys.:)

Attached Files:

• b.png
      b.png
      File size:
      5.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Country Lad

Country Lad Off into the sunset

Questions like this on an investment or share forum give the appearance of you having a lend of us, but I will treat them as serious.

For questions like this you will find initial answers when you google.

For example from Investopedia

The All-Ordinaries Index is market weighted and includes over 300 companies. For a company to be included in the index, they must meet the requirements established by the ASX. For example, a stock must have a market value of over 0.2% of all equities listed on the exchange. Furthermore, the stock must be liquid, with a monthly turnover of 0.5% of its total outstanding shares. The ASX rebalances the index each month, ensuring companies still meet these requirements.

All the details including the constituents are on the S&P site which can also be found by googling.

http://au.spindices.com/indices/equity/all-ordinaries

Bottom axis is time of day and vertical axis is the index value.

Cheers
    Country Lad