Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

What Is Australian Culture?

Reaction score
This is leading on from Snakes thread about what we don't like about Oz.

I made the comment that I hate the Americanized version of it; Ants responded with the fact that he hates the Englishized version of it. Though I find it quite charming; I like Bristish culture over American any day and the Brits did start the place off (the whitefellas part that is), but I can't help but sympathize with his point of view.

Many accuse Australia has having no culture. I'm sure the Aussies will disagree (as do I, but feel it is disappearring) so what is Aussie culture? What does it mean to be an Aussie? And how should we go about preserving that?

Cheers

Realist

Billie Jean is not my lover
Reaction score
Good question.

More so than probably any other country Australian culture is very lifestyle focused.

(white) Australia does not have a long or proud history, and it is mainly a combination of English and becoming more and more Americanised, but there are European influences, particularly Italian and Greek. And there is also a reasonably strong Asian influence these days, especially food wise in the major cities.

Aussie's enjoy beaches, babeques, sports, drinking beer, taking the p*ss out of their mates, and taking it easy more so than other countries, maybe it is a huge rich Pacific Island? I think life is easy here compared to elsewhere, Australia is a huge and wealthy nation with beautiful beaches and very few people, it is the lucky country in many ways.

Unfortunately maybe this is changing, soaring house prices, and globalisation in particular cheap imports and offshoring of jobs is making life more difficult and young people can't take life so easy if they want to get ahead, infact if they just want to survive.

Is Australia becoming a brach office of America, a mine for China, and the 52nd state of the USA?

Are people becoming too image conscious, too money focused, determined to get ahead at the expense of others? I think more so than 30 years ago for sure.

Reaction score
Hahaha, when ever anyone mentions Australian culture it just reminds me of this one time in a night club in Darwin. This guy was on the dance floor wearing only a tea towl and a few words of grafitti. It was obviously his bucks night. Eventually the tea towl fell off and his butt was covered in bright red welts and bruises. One of the bouncers was about to kick him out but this little asian bouncer starts gesuring him back saying "No, no, no. Australian culture, Australian culture." in a hilariously surreal asian accent. So there you have it. That's now the only concept of Australian culture I'm ever going to have from that day fourth, it's torched into my mind.

Reaction score
*bump*

Gee I thought Aussies would be all over this like a rash.

We do have a culture.....don't we?

Reaction score
wayneL said:
*bump*

Gee I thought Aussies would be all over this like a rash.

We do have a culture.....don't we?
Why are you asking so many questions? Probably because you were not born here? Maybe you should just get a life.

Reaction score
Realist said:
Good question.

More so than probably any other country Australian culture is very lifestyle focused.

(white) Australia does not have a long or proud history, and it is mainly a combination of English and becoming more and more Americanised, but there are European influences, particularly Italian and Greek. And there is also a reasonably strong Asian influence these days, especially food wise in the major cities.

Aussie's enjoy beaches, babeques, sports, drinking beer, taking the p*ss out of their mates, and taking it easy more so than other countries, maybe it is a huge rich Pacific Island? I think life is easy here compared to elsewhere, Australia is a huge and wealthy nation with beautiful beaches and very few people, it is the lucky country in many ways.

Unfortunately maybe this is changing, soaring house prices, and globalisation in particular cheap imports and offshoring of jobs is making life more difficult and young people can't take life so easy if they want to get ahead, infact if they just want to survive.

Is Australia becoming a brach office of America, a mine for China, and the 52nd state of the USA?

Are people becoming too image conscious, too money focused, determined to get ahead at the expense of others? I think more so than 30 years ago for sure.

lol Are you for real? I love working OS. I don't know what drugs you are on but they have evidently fried what few brain cells remain in your vacuotious skull. Keep up up the therapy and maybe, just maybe, you might get by.

Reaction score
Big Jim said:
Why are you asking so many questions? Probably because you were not born here? Maybe you should just get a life.

Big Jim....such a small comment. Tsk Tsk!

tech/a

No Ordinary Duck
Reaction score

In a nut shell.
There is no better.---but then Im 100% aussi.
Ill add to that the People--the real people--the real Aussie fair dinkum--no airs and graces---Aussie---those that would give you the shirt off their back,give as much as they take,and are as loyal as your Blue heeler.

Australia is developing its Culture---but it appears that other cultures wish to dominate rather than Adopt!

Dont agree with all that american rubbish over priced housing blah blah---go have a look Australia is CHEAP!

Wysiwyg

Everyone wants money
Reaction score
Hi Wayne,

I think that Australia is a combination of many cultures with the English,Italians and Greeks being higher of number.So for me Australia has no definitive culture......maybe in a thousand years. :confused:

Knobby22

Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast
Reaction score
We are a positive people but not overly sentimental or patriotic.
We are outward looking which makes us very different to most other peoples.
We do have a culture but it isw constantly changing and under attack from many influences particuarly mass media and advertising.

Julia

In Memoriam
Reaction score
Big Jim said:
lol Are you for real? I love working OS. I don't know what drugs you are on but they have evidently fried what few brain cells remain in your vacuotious skull. Keep up up the therapy and maybe, just maybe, you might get by.

Big Jim

Well, what's your contribution to the question which, incidentally, I think is great. It has made me think. I can't come up with anything more appropriate than Realist's comments (did I say that!) which sum up what Australia is about really well.

Perhaps it's you, Big Jim, who should "get a life".

Julia

Reaction score
Realist said:
Good question.

5 years ago my husband was informed by an Malaysian business man,who had retired to Australia that Australia was a good retirement village! :p:

Reaction score
tech/a said:
In a nut shell.
There is no better.---but then Im 100% aussi.
Ill add to that the People--the real people--the real Aussie fair dinkum--no airs and graces---Aussie---those that would give you the shirt off their back,give as much as they take,and are as loyal as your Blue heeler.

Australia is developing its Culture---but it appears that other cultures wish to dominate rather than Adopt!

Dont agree with all that american rubbish over priced housing blah blah---go have a look Australia is CHEAP!

Tech,
How would you define a 100% Aussie?
I know you have already listed the personal qualities but could he be other than anglo saxon? originally?
just asking,

Reaction score
The very first noticeable thing about Aussie culture for me was the language. Being from SoCal, I could hardly understand a word anybody said LOL. I was completely lost.

Once tuned in, there was all the charming abbreviations, smoko, brekky, arvo. My name wasn't Wayne any more, it was Wayno.

Then there is all those colloquialisms which had me in fits of laughter for years and years.... e.g. As miserable as an orphan bandicoot on a burnt ridge etc.

Sadly, the language is becoming Americanized and I think it's a damned shame. It is something that should be preserved IMO.

The other thing is the Aussie sense of humour and is something we share with the Brits, though slightly different to each other. We have the ability to laugh at ourselves and it's amazing how good friends can take the p!ss out of each other nonstop and not take offence.

Australian humour involves what I call verbal sleight of hand... double entendre's etc. It actaully very intellectual but without pretense. Very funny! Our humour goes completely over the head of the Yanks which is even funnier. :D

Reaction score
Yeh well I like Australia and America.

Language
Food
Lifestyle and ideology of peaceful aussies.

It doesn`t involve rape, religious hatred, nor cave man style thinking with respect to women.

Reaction score
Hi y'all

I like Australia 'coz it's free............i can even burn a flag.........

cheerful always :D

tech/a

No Ordinary Duck
Reaction score
How would you define a 100% Aussie?

Both My parents were born in Australia.
True we are all basically immigrants but my definition was based around influence from other cultures,be it Italian,Greek,Polish,English,Asian---you get the picture.We originated evidently from Wales.
My view is that as we go from generation to generation we lose the identities,cultures and traditions of our origin and take up(Or should) that which we are now part of.

Like ---Its not the AUSTRALIAN WAY

IE
Not sticking by your mates.
Welching on a bet.
etc