• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Wexit

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wayneL, Jun 26, 2020.

1. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

I am seriously considering exiting the Western world... the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, England, all of Western Europe...

...all ++++ed, both socially and economically.

So let's say if you guys were to get the Hell out of Dodge, where would you go and why?

2. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Have money or not ?

Switzerland is usually a good escape route.

3. MovingAverage

MovingAverage Smoke me a kipper

Where: China. Why: they hold all the cards

4. macca

macca

After reading about the way that long noses are treated in China it is no good me going there, obviously a westerner, so I will always be treated with suspicion

It is a good question though Wayne, many people are looking for somewhere "with old fashioned values and respectful attitudes"

The idea that we should discard all our traditional values because of a gang of rabblerousers is not appealing to many.

NZ has been good over the last decade but that will rapidly change if Jacinda is the puppet for a few more years, NZ could become poor again as it used to be.

Life is more expensive in NZ but no where near as bad as Switzerland ! Most Ozzies could afford a squalid bedsit in Suisse, very expensive place.

Asia is cheap but rather unstable although Nathan Tinkler bought into a "westerners retirement area" in Malaysia which gets good reports, still subject to the whim of the Govt.

Plenty of people living in Thailand, I know a lady who lived there for a year, she said that it is best to live in a western enclave.

The local police leave us alone if we stay in our allocated place but don't like tourists who prey on kids ( which is Good IMO)

Had a family member live in Vanuatu, they hinted that a certain large country in Asia has far too much influence.

The younger ones among us could wait a few years and move to Antarctica, should be warm enough by 2050 according to Mr Flannery et al

qldfrog likes this.
  5. spooly74

spooly74

Queenstown, NZ

6. Dona Ferentes

Dona Ferentes

I lived nearly 2 decades in various OS locations, on 5 continents and mostly aligned with work. Always considered m'self the Austr-alien, perhaps because of an inability to feel comfortable in the local language (variations of English included). Been back in Oz for 20 years and its where I feel the most comfortable/ least awkward.

The "Western world" to which you may have a revulsion still has some charms. Best to switch off if its getting too much, Nobody says you have to be engaged, but being an indigene brings with it certain assumed knowledge and familiarity. Change is inevitable in any society, and the current rate of hot ticket items is bafflingly perplexing, and shallow.

The migration to big cities has brought about a rather anonymous society. I've sometimes thought I'd like to live somewhere small and parochial but usually quash that idea. Nice to visit; do I want to live there? There is a time in life when simpler options beckon, and the autochthononous drive, to die within 5km of where one was born, is strong. And to reconnect with the familiar, prior.

So, no, I'll hang around here.

frugal.rock likes this.
  7. qldfrog

qldfrog

@wayneL , getting out has been my aim for the last 3-5 years
    Ideally a 50/50 between here and other places initially
    It takes a while to disengage, just be aware and virus adding an extra year of wasted opportunities for us
    Feel free to pm or have a chat as we are nearly locals
    I considered NZ..off the list now as Jacinda is the archetype of what i am running away from
    Then Japan..but you will never belong, Thailand: top contender and i want to check Central America.
    US has some amazing states but the red plague is growing there and unless they break apart, they will become a second pathetic Europe.
    Visit NY or California and US becomes a no-no.
    Hope this helps
    Forget about China Malaysia or any of the Asian countries under China control.
    Not an island person so Pacific islands are out
    Travelled extensively, worked in many of the above listed

8. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Looks like Mars then eh Froggy ? :cool:

frugal.rock likes this.
  9. frugal.rock

frugal.rock

From my limited travels, (China and Europe) I consider somewhere along the Australian coast line maybe SA WA or even NT to be ... you'll never never know, if you never never go.
    Tasmania if they declared independence from the mainland.
    South America is also a consideration although political and cartel situations arise regularly.
    However, there's no place like home... don't underestimate the freedom we have. Often to our detriment due to the eyedeeots.

@Dona Ferentes post say's it all really.

Your idealogy thinking @wayneL is common, but, is the grass really greener on the other side?
    Switch off or think outside the "box".
    :2twocents

Dona Ferentes and SirRumpole like this.
  10. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Agree. Some people just don't know when they are well off. Every country has it's faults, but I'd rather have the faults of this country, all else considered.

Saying that, a lot of Aussies live in places like Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia. It's cheaper, less restrictions, but then you can't get the grog easily.

Take your pick.

frugal.rock likes this.
  11. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

Here's the thing @frugal.rock

I'm trying to look forward at the world in 5-10-20 years and I don't like where we are going. Liberty is seriously under threat and our society is sleepwalking into a dystopian future, IMO.

It may actually be that Australia ends up being the least dystopian of a very bad bunch and that's what I'm trying to analyse here.

Perhaps I'm just getting old and (even more) curmudgeonly, but I find myself not enjoying any interaction with my little world and I don't want to end up a recluse.

And @qldfrog we will have that cuppa in the village at some point soon :)

cynic, qldfrog and frugal.rock like this.
  12. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

I think your best bet is the Bahamas wayne. If you have the dough that is.

13. Joe Blow

Joe Blow Administrator Staff Member

Australia is a huge country. With a few hundred thousand you can purchase a house on a few acres in regional Australia, get solar panels and a battery and grow (at least some of) your own food. You could then survive on $1,000 a month and largely drop out of sight. $12k a year isn't hard to make (once you hit pension age you're sorted) and you'll never have to file a tax return again as you'd be under the tax free threshold.

Outside of Australia (and the Western world generally) you have to deal with an unstable political climate, substandard medical care, questionable civil liberties and legal system, worse corruption and an alien culture and way of life (not to mention foreign languages).

If I was going to drop out, I'd do it here in Australia. It's not hard to do and if you do it right you can safely ignore the system and in time it will probably forget about you as well. If you have a partner you like you'll have someone to keep you company.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Knobby22, cynic, qldfrog and 3 others like this.
  14. basilio

basilio

I thought New Zealand was the go to spot for "end of the worlders ". To my know all the big money has bought there.

How about settling on Mars ? Surely that would be far away enough from all the problems?;)

Knobby22 likes this.
  15. frugal.rock

frugal.rock

I very much agree.
    Minorities are joining and warping reality and long held values and customs.
    All we can hope for is that, our government and some others are not sleepwalking... hopefully there yawning and stretching, woken from slumber...
    however, IMO, it's all going to come down to getting out of the bed on the correct side, gingerly like, without disturbing those who wish to remain sleeping and without alarming certain types to our wish to get out of bed. (Stepping on eggshells here and we honestly need to...)
    We can only hope that we have greater than 5 years to do this, to be honest!
    Idealistically, that sounds nice and attractive, but it's the "attractive" part that needs to be ruled out, to actually be attractive, inline with the concepts discussed.
    There's a lot of "read between the lines" concepts here, which honestly, if discussed, can alert those who SHOULDN'T be alerted, as they are about the long game.

cynic and qldfrog like this.
  16. bellenuit

bellenuit

It would be a lot cheaper to just stop watching Fox News.:)

Knobby22, IFocus, frugal.rock and 2 others like this.
  17. rederob

rederob

$15k a year is enough and you don't need to go bush. Adda several $k for short annual NZ or SE Asia holidays.

IFocus and Joe Blow like this.
  18. Dona Ferentes

Dona Ferentes

It's tricky. Wokeness at home, Dopeness in some cultures, viewed as belonging to the 'alcohol drinking enslavable' caste by ME and subcontinental societies and the foreign devil tag hasn't disappeared in Asia.

I just don't see too many locals piling into boats and washing up on foreign shores, claiming asylum or looking for economic betterment there.

Knobby22, cynic, frugal.rock and 2 others like this.
  19. qldfrog

qldfrog

Believe me not, last time i watched fox news was in an hotel room 5y ago, but i do look at numbers and do not swallow ABC news without criticism.
    Esprit critique
    Aka not being a muppet...

As for cheaper..do not include Australia: someone has to pay these submarines, NDIS and minimum wages
    my mistake financially was choosing Australia vs US 25y ago...
    I know i could have fallen sick and required welfare but i did not...
    So the difference is conservatively a good 3 to 4m USD..which is not small by my standards.
    Could have been worse, i could have staid in Europe..
    So now is the time to run and leave asap which is taking a long time

frugal.rock and wayneL like this.
  20. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

I suppose it all depends on what you are actually trying to get away from.

I don't think that has been clearly explained.

"Dystopia" could have different meanings to different people.

I share the thought that Australia is being divided up into races, groups and ideologies, when really we should all be acting as one society and observing the laws that apply to us all and not trying to pretend to ignore the laws because of "culture".

If that's what the problem is then I suggest it applies everywhere. Try going to an Islamic culture if you want monoculture only you may not like the impositions.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020