• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Westpac closing my account

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by ribbyrobbo, Nov 13, 2018.

1. ribbyrobbo

ribbyrobbo

Hi, I've been living in the US on an E3 visa for 6 years and received a call from Westpac recently saying that are going to close all accounts (not just mine) where the postal address is in the US (not sure about other countries). Essentially, my holdings will be transfer back to the distributor (i.e. CompterShare, Link, etc). I'm looking for a brokerage that will 1. allow me to trade in Australia on my current portfolio and 2. transfer my CHESS holdings to their brokerage so I can manage (like I do with Westpac Securities). I'm pretty new to this and it's a pain in the backside a few like Peppertree or etrader will let me trade while living in the US but won't let me transfer so I can manage under their umbrella. Any help would be greatly appreciated! anyone else have this problem?

2. newanimal

newanimal

Yes I'm in the same boat. I too would need to find a brokerage that accepts clients with US address to transfer my holdings from Westpac to continue trading ASX. Anyone out there with US address trading with a brokerage other than Westpac?

ribbyrobbo likes this.
  3. ribbyrobbo

ribbyrobbo

I found out that Peppertree will take my Westpac portfolio however, you'll still have to have an Aussie residential and postal address. i.e. I can use my folks but not ideal for paper delivery.

4. newanimal

newanimal

Yes I too can use a Aussie residential address but need to have paper delivery to my US address. That's the snag. I haven't tried contacting a list of Aussie brokerages yet to find out if they all have that policy now. I plan to do that very soon.