Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Webmasters & Website Owners discussion thread

prawn_86

Mod: Call me Dendrobranchiata
Reactions
On the back of a few other threads i have decided to start this one where any ASF member can talk about their own website. Or those who work in the IT industry can offer tips

Maybe by pooling our knowledge we can help all our sites grow.

• What site do you own/manage?
  • What sort of site? IE sales or info?
  • How does your site make money?
  • What SEO do you do (if any)?
  • How do you drive traffic?
  • What tips would you have for new webmaster?

Reactions
Keep Wordpress updated.
I helped a mate with a website and hadn't done any maintenance on the website in over a year. Anyways, the Web host had to take the website off line until updates were applied due to spam originating from it.

Wordpress can also a be a pain in the back side to update. When l tried to update through Wordpress, l always got a 'memory exhausted' error message.
I found that going through c-panel and clicking on 'Fantastico' (or Fantastico De Lux) and updating there to be the easiest method.

Hope that helps somebody from tearing their hair out and wasting a few hours with Wordpress.

prawn_86

Reactions
Had to board my plane before i got a chance to type out my second post...

As you can tell by my signature i run 3 websites at the moment, with plans for a few more when i get back from my holidays.

www.aussietravellersforum.com.au - forum for Australian travellers to discuss their travel plans, itineraries etc

www.aussieimporters.com - directory of companies within Australia that import products. Useful for buyers looking for products, and also for importers to build their web presence

www.weroamaround.com - mine & my wifes blog of our current trip of South America. Will also extend this to our other travels in and outside of Australia when we are back.

At the moment i dont pay for SEO for any of these, but will probably start when i get back. Growth so far for all 3 has been solely organic, relying on search engines.

All 3 sites are hobby sites and i do not rely on any income from them, but they all run Google Adwords in order to make enough to cover costs. Eventually i would like to build them into a little income stream but driving traffic is the hardest part of owning a website for myself. I simply cannot figure out how to increase traffic and grow it consistently, hence why i will probably pay for SEO when i get back, although ATF already ranks highly for my targeted keywords

Logique

Investor
Reactions
Hi Prawn and webmasters.

Quite interested in the experience with Adwords, been thinking about diving in, how do you find it?

prawn_86

Reactions
Hi Prawn and webmasters.

Quite interested in the experience with Adwords, been thinking about diving in, how do you find it?
For me it is quite useful. Basically you just search keywords, Google will tell you a heap of others that are similar, then you set your maximum cost per click for the group of words or each keyword individually.

As my sites dont sell physical products I never usually spend more than a few cent per click but if you are selling something in a niche with a lot of competition then you may need to spend >$1 per click

You can also set a daiy budget, so it enables you to know the max you will spend.

I would just say be careful of what Google recommends you set as your CPC because wuite often my ads show on the first page with low CPC despite google saying that they wont