• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Veganism

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Value Collector, May 4, 2019.

1. Value Collector

Value Collector Have courage, and be kind.

Vegans come in all types.

Some are health focused, some love the junk food.

Check out these rappers, the first is a couple of guys focused on health food, and the second is a guy who obviously loves a bit of junk food.

2. tosegue

tosegue

My Daughter is Vegan and last weekend we went down to Moore Park in Sydney to the Vegan market, I have to say that the amount of people there had me gob smacked, I bought the dearest beenie in Australia at $35 100% cotton, The food smells were at another level I was hungry and every line was quite long, We ended up buying a Lamb souvlaki wrap and a cane sugar and lime juice, whatever the lamb was made out of it was'nt to bad and they said it was marinated for 70 hours, My daughter makes a whole range of pasta sauces that are totally vegan and I find them enjoyable enough to go back for seconds although she has no interest in developing it into something.

Value Collector and Knobby22 like this.
  3. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

I bought some vegan processed snacks for something different. Unfortunately for me I caught a 24 hour virus in a separate incident.
    The worst part was having to taste those snacks on the way out as well.
    Till this day I can't even tolerate the smell of said snacks. Just thinking about it makes me green.

Ann likes this.
  4. Value Collector

Have you ever had non vegan food that made you cringe?

You shouldn’t judge all vegan foods just because you didn’t enjoy one type.

The funny thing is, a lot of people will not like a food just because it is labeled vegan, and they expect it to taste weird.

Surely you eat loads of vegan stuff. Eg bread, fruit, Veg, rice, tomato sauce, beer, pasta etc etc.

I mean baked beans on toast doesn’t taste different just because you notice it’s vegan, although some people think it does.

5. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

Agree with the above.
    I love fruit and veg. This product was directly targeted at vegans though. An unfortunately incident all round.

6. Value Collector

True funny story, showing how people minds trick them into not judging foods fairly.

My Mum hates the Idea of soy milk, but has never actually tried it.

I was at her house watching a TV show with her, and offered to make her a cup of tea.

I made her a cup of tea, exactly as she makes it, using her tea, her normal milk and normal sugar.

But upon returning to the couch and giving it to her she suddenly suspected I might have used soy milk.

The following exchange then occurred.

Mum - (sips tea cautiously and then frowns) “what did you put in here”

Me - “what do you mean? I made it how you like it”

Mum - (sips again) “it tastes weird, what sort of milk did you use”

Me - “what do you think I used?”

Mum - “I think you used soy”

Me - “No, that’s your milk, I made it with dairy milk”

Mum - “No, you used soy I can tell it tastes horrible”

Me - “ I swear that’s your milk, I made it with your milk, 100% pinky promise”

Mum - (sips slowly serveral times frowning, then finally says) “oh yeah that’s ok, it is my milk” (smiles and says thank you)

—————-

The crazy thing to realize is that she thought the flavor was bad simply because she believed it was soy, even though it was her normal milk.

It shows even if the soy had tasted exactly like her normal milk she would have rejected it, it never would have even had a chance because her mind would not have given it a fair shot.

StockyGuy likes this.
  7. Value Collector

Well I do have a history of pranks, however in this case it’s clearly her own taste buds that she doesn’t seem to trust.

I mean saying something tastes horrible and then 1 min layer saying it tastes great just because it’s been confirmed it’s your regular food is pretty crazy.

Really shows to me people are biased without even knowing it.

8. Value Collector

It’s actually vegan products that give food most of its taste.

I mean plain bland mince meat is not very appetizing, how ever if you add pasta sauce that is made of tomatoes, garlic, basil, onions salt etc etc etc, suddenly it becomes great.

Same with chicken breast, with out bread crumb, salt, pepper and some dipping sauce I doubt chicken nuggets would be popular.

Take out the vegan ingredients of a curry and you would have a tasteless mess, but if you leave out the chicken you still have a tasty veg curry on a bed of steamy rice.

———

Until I became vegan I had no idea how much I relied on the vegan ingredients to actually made meals nice, and the great part is it only takes small adjustments to continue making my favorite meals.

SirRumpole likes this.
  9. Ann

Ann

Everyone is biased and it is only the ignorant who don't realize this.

When I sit down to a steak and salad I can assure you the most delicious flavour comes from the meat. The salad is garnish and is just there to make it look pretty.

The problem with mince meat these days is the lack of fat in it. When I buy mincemeat for hamburgers I grate beef tallow (fat) through it. It makes it delicious and juicy. It is all the 'salt etc etc etc' I try to avoid.

Like herbs and spices? Gosh! :rolleyes:

Let's talk about the humble chicken nugget. Made from breast? Very unlikely and becoming more unlikely as time goes along. It is becoming a frankenfood these days.

Chicken nuggets lab-grown from feathers to go on sale by end of year, company says

10. aus_trader

aus_trader

I am no vegetarian or vegan or anything but I am actually interested in purchasing this Cheese for use in certain dishes/sandwiches. Where can you buy it ?

11. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Saturated Fats---UMMM

12. aus_trader

aus_trader

It'll be used as a dairy alternative for someone in the family with Lactose intolerance since there is no dairy based cheese choices for that relative due to Lactose.

13. jbocker

jbocker

A beautiful case of perception vs 'reality' (which is better stated as a different perception). perception is reality.

14. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

A thought:

If want the world to go vegan, we need a CO2 rich atmoshere.

Another thought:

Many plant "foods" are inflammatory to us, or many of us anyway.

Further thought:

We are all different, mrs thrives on plant based nutrition and not animal based, I don't. With some exceptions, plants cause me inflammation .

qldfrog and Ann like this.
  15. Ann

Ann

....and a warmer atmosphere. Although we may just need food growth factories with regulated temp and co2! How did they make Soylent Green again? Out of soy and lentils wasn't it?

Veggie Burger Mania Hits Corporate America After Beyond Meat IPO

As hot corporate trends go, crypto and pot are so yesterday. Now, the rush is to get in on anything that smacks of vegetarian meat products.

OK, well, maybe the frenzy isn’t quite as intense as those have been, but a few days after Beyond Meat Inc.’s stock price was frantically bid up by investors in its trading debut, food companies are rushing to get their veggie burgers to market.

Tyson Foods Inc. on Monday confirmed it will introduce a meatless protein product in coming months. Tyson, to underscore the announcement, is the biggest meat processor in the U.S. McDonald’s Corp. just began selling a veggie burger in Germany, Burger King said last week that its Impossible Whopper would go nationwide this year. In July, Whole Foods will start selling a burger made by Lightlife, a competitor to Beyond Meat. Bloomberg Intelligence predicts the Beyond Meat success will push companies like Kellogg Co., Conagra Brands Inc. and Kraft Heinz Co. to spend more on plant innovation. More...

16. Value Collector

I don’t think we are in danger of being short of co2, most people find plant based diets reduce inflammation.

But you probably just need to find the right foods.

17. Value Collector

Yeah, just like dairy cheese it has saturated fat, but unlike dairy it has zero cholesterol.

Also, the vast majority of saturated fats you would be consuming come from animal products, so if you are worried about saturated fats, choose more vegan foods.

Plants have zero cholesterol, and except for a few exceptions very little saturated fats.

18. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

I have to admit that I was vego for a number of years for this very reason.

Great for the relatively sedentary lifestyle I had at that particular time, but unsuitable for when practicing my profession.... just don't have the energy or strength as a veg. (and I do know my nutrition/metabolics/exercise physiology).

However there is a woman, a highly functioning autistic and PhD called Temple Grandin, who has single handedly changed this.

Look it up, it is super interesting.

19. satanoperca

satanoperca

I second this as I watch a doc on Temple some time ago, incredible, brilliant and enlightening. One woman changed an industry.

wayneL likes this.