• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum
  1. Guest, entries in the Full CY 2020 Tipping Competition are now open and close at midnight on 31 December. With $1,850 in cash to be won you'd have to be crazy not to enter. Please post your entries in the Tipping Competition for Full CY 2020 thread in the ASX Stock Chat forum. Good luck!

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

US weekly equities trading

Discussion in 'Trading Diaries and Journals' started by Kryzz, Oct 15, 2017.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

1. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

Hi All

Have been focusing almost exclusively on US equities for the past few months, trading breakouts primarily off of the weekly timeframe, with some reversals. I haven't seen too much longer term US based trading on ASF recently, keen for some feedback accordingly as to where I can improve.

I'll try to update this thread every week or two and when I initiate/close positions. Approx $15k USD in an IB account so brokerage is negligible. Recent months has seen profits erode due to the rising AUD. Currently I'm not hedging this account.

Open positions listed below and some screenshots of trades taken.

Fingers crossed!

Attached Files:

scholesy likes this.
  2. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

Was it only a dollar to buy that last parcel of 32 CVX shares because the difference in P&L from entry to present share price is 4.16 not including brokerage and you have 3.16 in the P&L column.
    Very low brokerage if it is one dollar.

3. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

It was yeah, another appeal of trading the US markets. Commission drag almost non existent
    IB.JPG

4. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

Per share works out very inexpensive for higher priced stocks. Stock picks look good, thanks.

5. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

Stopped out of O last night for a small loss (-0.26R)

AAL & ACN looking the best of the bunch. Needing DLPH to turn around soon.

O.png

6. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

aee.png

New long last night, initial entry slightly missed.

aee.png

7. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

An interesting table I came across yesterday, wish I had been trading US equities for a lot longer (especially with the constant falls in the AUDUSD over the years too)!

Permabears still calling for a correction, will be ready to revert to cash if it does occur. Doesn't look like any sign of that occurring soon though.

SP500 monthly chart and table below for reference.

drawdowns.PNGsp.png

8. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

Got stopped out of CVX last week for a full 1R. Portfolio is down a little less than 1% since the first post.

Two buy orders pending for ALL & CNP:

US equities.PNG

CNP.png

all.png

9. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

New long entered last night. AVGO.

avgo.png

10. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

ALL buy stop was triggered throughout the week also closing +4.38%.

Fully invested now almost. Although it looks like DLPH is likely to be stopped out soon, have given it over six weeks to go up but to no avail. Have got the stop in place at a minor low, locking in approx a 1R gain.

Total portfolio value is slightly higher than what's represented in the spreadsheet below due to currency fluctuations.

US.PNG

ALL - us.png

11. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

DLPH stopped out as expected, for 0.85r.

New buy triggered late last week: CMS @ 42.03

CMS.png

12. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

Current open positions below. Still holding ACN, which is approx 3.5r (including dividends).

Losing trades to date a result of trading within a range or entering longs in a downtrend.

acn.png

Attached Files:

kid hustlr likes this.
  13. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

Have been stopped out of AVGO for a small loss.

Entered long CF @39.33. This one isn't breaking out to new highs but has been consolidating a while now and hoping for a push higher.

AVGO weekly..pngCF - Weekly.pngEquities.PNG

14. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

Stopped out of AEE & CMS since my post last week. Have entered long with AAPL & ABT.

US.PNG

Attached Files:

15. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

First post of the new year for this portfolio. Have been stopped out of ALL for a +1.2R gain - can't say I'm thrilled about my exit. Two pending stop orders for RBS & HBAN. Setups and closed trades below:

RBS.pngRBS.png

ALL - closed.png

Attached Files:

16. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

Reviewing a couple of closed losing trades, couple of points I remind myself of when considering new entries and stop movement and what's helped me out so far.

1. Try and wait for a consolidation around prior swing highs, try to avoid going long at the first break. Case in point, CVX below, also missed the re-entry upon the consolidation.

CVX review.png

2. When I've been in a position for a while and momentum appears to be waning, I look tighten the stop up sooner rather than later even though trading the weekly time frame. It doesn't take many bear candles to hit your initial stop for the full loss otherwise. AEE for example:

AEE review.png

3. Don't trade in ranges when trading a breakout strategy, fruitless exercise:

AAL review.pngO - review.png

kid hustlr and debtfree like this.
  17. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

Portfolio update below. The recent massive push up in the AUD has me concerned I haven't got any hedge in place for this portfolio.

Will be looking into this on the next push down in the AUD enter a long position, to the equivalent value of my holdings.

ACN almost a 6R trade inc dividends is still carrying this portfolio. Also entered a tiny long position in BK with the residual capital I had left. Apple recovering nicely too, making new all time highs this week.

US equities.PNG

18. jjbinks

jjbinks

Just curious as to what you think the effect of weekly trading vs daily would be on ones strategy. Do you choose larger caps which probably would move slower?

19. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

I think there would usually be an increase in win % (hopefully accompanied by in increase in avg win), I definitely enjoy trading a weekly strategy. The fact the US is in a secular bull market also helps drastically.

From what I've seen so far, as you venture out of the S&P 500 and toward the smaller market caps (and lower priced equities) the price action becomes more erratic.

I tend to avoid these as I want to be onboard the larger trends that develop from breakouts, trying to allow for enough wiggle room but not be stopped out.

Joules MM1 likes this.
  20. Kryzz

Kryzz shaun

Portfolio update below, some positive earnings for ABT announced in pre market earlier this week lifting this and RBS almost to 2R trades now. Apple is due to report on Feb 1, will be tightening the stop slightly prior to this but will be holding through. (Most of my other holdings will be reporting later in Feb, will assess how things are looking then).

US equities.PNG

scholesy likes this.