Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Transit of Venus between the Earth and the Sun

Reactions
Commentator on Ch 9 said "and here it is from a different angle" now a different angle on a shot from the earth to the moon would mean you'd have to move the camera into deep space I would have thought.:rolleyes:

Reactions
Thanks for the link Dr Smith, great pictures :)

I learned an interesting fact about the discovery of Australian and the transit of Venus. Captain Cook was sent to Tahita (I think it was Tahiti) to observe the transit of Venus. After he had done that he opened some secret instructions from the British government which told him to find the great southern land which he then did. So we have the transit of Venus to thank for what Australia is today :)

Reactions
Thanks for the link Dr Smith, great pictures :)

I learned an interesting fact about the discovery of Australian and the transit of Venus. Captain Cook was sent to Tahita (I think it was Tahiti) to observe the transit of Venus. After he had done that he opened some secret instructions from the British government which told him to find the great southern land which he then did. So we have the transit of Venus to thank for what Australia is today :)

It's a commonly held misunderstanding. Cook failed to discover the great southern land. What he did do, between that expedition and the next, was to establish that the great southern land did not actually exist. Having done that, he then mapped the east coast of Australia on his way back home.

The great southern land was a hypothesised continent somewhere in the southern pacific that was felt likely to exist. Everyone knew about Australia, but it was felt that another continent 'should' be down there somewhere to balance things up.

Cook did a great many things and was a remarkable man, but he did not discover Australia. What he did was to produce accurate charts of the east coast, and to resolve the question of the great southern land -- in the negative.

Reactions
Cook mapped the East coast of Australia while returning from the transit of Venus mission to Tahiti, on his first voyage in the Endeavour. It was on his second voyage in the Resolution that he ruled out the existence of a Great South Land (the green line). It was a secondary mission on the first voyage but it was the primary mission on the second voyage.

cookmap.jpg

The above map is not entirely accurate - it serves to show the major direction of the voyages.
Many crisscrosses and returns to the areas visited etc. are not included in the tracks shown.
An example: Cook's return to Hawaii from Alaska is not shown.
If he had followed the track shown he wouldn't have been killed.
First Voyage - 1768-1771

Goal : Observe Transit of Venus, find Southern Continent

Acheivement: Observed transit at Tahiti and mapped New Zealand, discovered it's Southern Island and discovered and mapped eastern coast of Australia.

Second Voyage - 1772-1775

Goal : Confirm existence of postulated Southern Continent

Acheivement: discovered New Hebrides and discovered New Caledonia. discovered Fijis, Tonga, Society Islands and circumnavigated Antartica.

Third Voyage - 1776-1780

Goal : Find Northeast passage from Pacific to Atlantic in northern America.

Acheivement: found Marquesas Islands, discovered Cook Islands and Hawaii, cruised western American coast from California to Alaska north of Bering Straits.

Capt. Cook killed February 14, 1779 Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii

Reactions
Yep, that's what I said :)
Sorry. What I thought you said was;
What he did do, between that expedition and the next, was to establish that the great southern land did not actually exist. Having done that, he then mapped the east coast of Australia on his way back home.
I was under the that impression that you were implying that he mapped the east coast of Australia after he established that the Southern Continent did not exist. My mistake.

Reactions
I was under the that impression that you were implying that he mapped the east coast of Australia after he established that the Southern Continent did not exist. My mistake.
Clumsy interplay between the sentences on my part - I can see how it could have been read either way. My error for poor expression :)