• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Topless barmaids - Ban them or not?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SirRumpole, Sep 23, 2017.

1. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

The discussion here has got a bit heavy here recently so it needs some distraction.

Some feminists want topless barmaids banned, other ladies want the right to do it if they want.

Personally I think that as it is a workplace issue, if it's not banned then there could be undue pressure placed on waitresses/barmaids to do it at the cost of their jobs.

What do you think ?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-23/right-to-work-as-topless-barmaids-if-we-want-to/8974450

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-19/the-battle-for-topless-waitresses/8960366

2. cynic

cynic

After giving much thought to the importance of this to our society, it is my deeply considered opinion that, in the interests of fostering a more harmonious and civilised living environment for all worthy members of the human populace, only the fugly ones should be banned!

VSntchr, lindsayf and pixel like this.
  3. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Don't women drink at pubs too ? There doesn't seem to be much support for topless barmen.

4. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Topless beaches?
    Topless fire fighters lets face it the gay community needs some distraction

Personally I'm still a staunch NO on this as well!

5. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

I think that if topless barmaids aren't banned there will be a race to the bottom. :cool:

Macquack likes this.
  6. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

When in Vagas there were way more chicks getting their kit off
    And cheering wildly in Coyote Ugly Bar than men!

Since then I've been lesbian!

7. Junior

Junior

If you don't want to get your kit off, work in the other 99% of bars!

No need to ban.

8. McLovin

McLovin

The ones getting exploited are the dudes going in there and thinking they have a chance if they tip generously.

VSntchr and Value Collector like this.
  9. notting

notting

Losers, if your into picking up your not going to pull well in a topless bar!
    That crap is like going out for a meal being served a big stake then not being allowed to eat it. Just look and smell. If your that stupid no chick will want you anyway. Just stay at home with your dog.

Miner likes this.
  10. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

Where is your consistency? :p
    On the SSM issue, you don't want to pander to the interests of a minority (gays).
    Yet on this "vital" issue, you join the bullies from the fem fringe?

I don't get it. Nobody forces a guy to become a race car driver, if he can't stand the smell of petrol or if he doesn't fit into the cockpit of a Formula One car. Even if he has all the credentials and capabilities of a Daniel Ricciardo, it's still his choice whether he applies or not. And if he does apply to join the Red Bull team, nobody forces Red Bull to accept his application and hire him. They're not even obliged to let him demonstrate his talent with a ride around the course.
    Same thing applies to topless bars, IMHO. It's up to the applicant to decide whether she wants to work in that establishment. Even if she has the attributes and attitude that qualify her for the job, nobody forces her to aspire to a career in topless bartending. Nor is anything compelling the Bar Manager to accept her application.

PS: If the sight of bare boobs frightens you, just stay away from topless bars and nude beaches ... and internet sites that publish red carpet events from Oscars to Brownlow events, because many celebrititties are on display there too.

VSntchr likes this.
  11. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

By the same reasoning we should abolish the minimum wage because there will someone willing to work for less, but if that happens then wages will fall so low that people end up being exploited. Same with topless, allow it and it will soon become the de facto standard and people won't be able to get a job unless they agree so in effect women WILL be forced to do it if they want a job.

Then, if barmaids, why not tv presenters or legal secretaries ?

So now you think I'm a feminist bully, even after saying rude things about poor Clemmy Ford ? :roflmao::roflmao:

I just want women to have some self respect and not have to pander to the lowest common denominator of our bogan society.

12. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

Although I'm not an expert in bogan pubs, nor any pubs for that matter, I very much doubt that topless bars will become mainstream. For a start, there are far too many non-bogans that want to take female guests to the pub and not have them exposed to views that might cause discomfort (or envy).
    You could also regulate, by way of licensing, in which districts or even at what times topless service is permitted. But I took you OP question and topic title to ask for a blanket ban, and that, IMHO, is too much of a nanny-state pandering to the whims of a small vocal minority of wowsers and radical fems.

13. Junior

Junior

Topless barmaids, strip-clubs, brothels. Could ban the lot, but will just drive it underground. The demand will always be there.

VSntchr and pixel like this.
  14. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

A reasonable compromise I suppose.

Ah yes, "wowser", as powerful a pejorative as "homophobe" these days.:rolleyes:

15. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

It's a no brainer ........ nudey bars all the way!!! The body is a temple and I'm willing to prey (sic) at the altar:D

16. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Crickey, The ABC are going after the tiddee bar ?? :eek:

17. Value Collector

Value Collector

They don't get the regular staff to be topless, normally they bring in girls especially for the topless positions during certain hours, and they are generally well paid and gets heaps of tips.

As a feminist myself, I believe women have the right to be topless if they want. I am not going to support the banning of topless waitresses nor wearing of burkas, it's not my job to tell women what to wear.

notting likes this.
  18. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

But there are plenty who have an opinion on a topic you don't agree with
    And you fight hard to validate your own

19. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Do you think it's the job of employers to require women to strip to get a job ?

20. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

Not sure how it is in other states, but QLD has a few. They are generally scheduled for the tradies.

What happened to Oz? I remember strippers and topless bar staff were just another aspect back in the 70's and 80's in a few cities.,,,,never worried my wife or the painfully feminist women in my family.