Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The Voice

This is just one of the problems of getting services to remote communities and there are hundreds of them, people just don't understand the logistical nightmare of maintaining these small remote communities.

Just me thinking out loud. Before these communities were spoon fed by the tax payer how did they survive when a disaster hit the area. I would suggest they got off their collective ar**s and did something about it!!!!!!

Just me thinking out loud. Before these communities were spoon fed by the tax payer how did they survive when a disaster hit the area. I would suggest they got off their collective ar**s and did something about it!!!!!!
The thing is they want to live their and due to their heritage we facilitate that, the problem is when they want more than basic services Water, electricity and sewage it becomes difficult.

Supplying all the individual communities with schools teachers, doctors, jobs etc is impossible, that's what a lot of city people can't seem to appreciate.
Some of these communities have only a couple of dozen residents, it is a huge problem, that has no easy fix.

It is simple logistics, not a lack of will, the people who supply these services are dedicated people.

Aboriginals (and their activist lawyers) need to be careful they don't end up being termed Abogrifters the way this is heading. The way these projects get approved is just one thing: Money. They are, every so rapidly, destroying any credibility they have.

Proclaiming that the ocean, 100s of kilometers off shore, including the sea floor, is traditional ownership is nuts.

They're obviously taking advantage of the global boiling insanity to great effect.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 8.41.52 pm.png

The traditional owners of the 1030 square kilometre Southern Ocean offshore wind zone declared by the Albanese government last month have condemned Energy Minister Chris Bowen for a “complete lack of appropriate and meaningful consultation”, accusing him of undermining their “sovereignty as land rights holders”.

In a statement released on Tuesday, the Gunditj Mirring Traditional Owners Aboriginal Corporation, which represents the Gunditjmara people of southwest Victoria, say that while they support action on climate change, they are concerned that the government has not sufficiently considered the cultural and environmental impacts of offshore wind.

The local Indigenous community’s objections come after Mr Bowen and his Victorian counterpart Lily D’Ambrosio were forced to designate an area which was only 20 per cent of the size of that originally proposed, amid a range of environmental concerns, including over the ramifications for whale habitat.

“The announcement made by Minister Bowen in Portland on 6 March 2024 regarding the designation of an offshore renewable energy zone has been met with disappointment by the Gunditj Mirring Traditional Owners Aboriginal Corporation due to the complete lack of appropriate and meaningful consultation between the commonwealth government and the Gunditjmara community,” the organisation said.

Jacinta Nampijinpa Price has been on the receiving end of threats because of her views on Aboriginal affairs, but she says that won't stop her continuing to speak out.

The Northern Territory Country Liberal Party (CLP) senator says she's gone against the grain in speaking out about violence, sexual abuse and, more recently, the Indigenous Voice to Parliament referendum, and says using her voice hasn't been clear-cut.

"As Aboriginal women, there's always the threat of violence … we're expected to toe the line," the senator said.

"In traditional terms we're supposed to know our place and not speak out of turn on issues that might be uncomfortable for others."

Speaking to Stateline NT, the senator credits her Warlpiri and Celtic heritage for giving her the grit to be on the federal political stage, but she says her views have come at a cost.

"It is not just [my] stance on the Voice, it's also the stance [that] it's not somehow acceptable to be a conservative Aboriginal woman," she said.

"There are people that I've grown up with in my hometown [who] believe that, adults who I would regard as family, they've known me since I was a baby, that won't even acknowledge me now."

"I have some female relatives who will support me and aren't afraid to stand up and speak, but there will be family members who will keep their distance for their own fear of if they appear to be supportive of me, then they could be targeted."

3333&cropW=5000&xPos=0&yPos=0&width=862&height=575.jpg

Jacinta Nampijinpa Price has had a meteoric rise through the Coalition ranks since entering parliament in July 2022. (Supplied: Sky News)

'No regrets' on Voice No campaign​

Last year, the first-time senator from Alice Springs essentially became the face of the No campaign on the referendum to enshrine an Indigenous Voice to Parliament in the constitution.

She also quickly climbed the ranks of the federal Coalition to become the shadow minister for Indigenous Australians.

Reflecting on the six months since Australians voted against the Voice, the senator said she didn't "have a single regret".

I think now we have fertile ground to move forward, to continue to call for common-sense approaches," she said.

Senator Nampijinpa Price said the referendum created "more division" that Australia "didn't need" and disputed claims that disinformation from the No side swayed votes.

"If a suggestion is being put to you, a grand idea, if you don't have the detail of that grand idea, if you don't know what the detail is, why would you support it?," she said.

"That was the basic truth of the situation – there was no detail, and if you don't know what the detail is, well, you're not going to support it."
=773&cropW=1159&xPos=0&yPos=0&width=862&height=575.jpg

Jacinta Nampijinpa Price says a lack of detail was the reason for the Voice's defeat.(ABC News: Carl Saville)

She also said the millions of dollars spent on the referendum could have been better spent on improving outcomes for Indigenous people facing entrenched disadvantage, citing an investment in boarding facilities for children at a local school in Alice Springs as one example.

How Indigenous funding was being allocated and spent in Australia was a key theme for No campaigners in the lead-up to the referendum, with the federal Coalition using the final weeks of the referendum campaign to call for an audit into Indigenous expenditure.

Alice Springs unrest 'destructive'​

Before entering federal politics, Senator Nampijinpa Price served on the Alice Springs Town Council, where for years she saw her hometown garner national headlines over its crime rates.

So when vision surfaced of rioting outside a local pub in Alice Springs in March, the shock hit home.

Earlier that month, 18-year-old Kumanjayi Petrick died after a car crash in Alice Springs. The eight other passengers fled the scene.

A cultural ceremony held for the teenager on March 26 turned violent, and grief and anger between the families saw riots erupt at a town camp and at the tavern.

Relatives say those who attacked the tavern were searching for someone drinking inside.

"Knowing that elements of that was attached to traditional cultural payback … it's time we stop doing things this way because it is destructive," Senator Nampijinpa Price said.

The rioting prompted the NT government to enforce a youth curfew in Alice Springs, and extra police resources from South Australia and around the territory were flown in to help.

"We need to attract more police, we need to invest in our police and we need to do better to repair the relationships with our community members and police," she said.

"Lifting standards, stepping away from separatism, improving the education system and protecting our children and our most vulnerable is what we need to do."
3333&cropW=5000&xPos=0&yPos=1&width=862&height=575.jpg

The Alice Springs youth curfew lasted almost three weeks.(ABC News: Xavier Martin)

Desensitisation fears as NT election looms​

As the NT edges closer to a general election in August, Senator Nampijinpa Price fears Territorians are becoming desensitised to the social issues playing out on the ground.

"When school children are getting picked up from school, the conversation between them is 'oh my dad has a baseball bat under the bed' or 'we've just installed cameras at our place just in case somebody breaks in'," she said.

"How did we get to a point where we are normalising this kind of behaviour in our communities and accepting that?"

She conceded it would take time and the right investment to see a turnaround in the territory irrespective of which party won office, and said the urgency was real.