• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

The Outrage Phenomenon

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tisme, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

It started with the social change movements of the sixties and now we are under siege from people who seem to argue and protest for the sake of arguing and protest. Instead of a considered approach, hysteria is quickly whipped up and the indignation troops spring into (mainly keyboard) action as self appointed sheriffs of the social conscience.

Once upon a time satirical commentary was admired, e.g. Peter Sellers playing three roles in Duchy of Grand Fenwick, but now days he'd be pilloried for parodying a woman, entrenching Prime Ministers as misogynistic male domain and the similarly army officers as preferenced white males.

Even the old protocols of differentiating a4seholes from their families are being wiped away:

sptrawler likes this.
  2. lindsayf

lindsayf

'Indignation troops'..I like the term.
    I work in a field where this army is quite prevalent. Though I am a mental health social worker my first career was in engineering and my pragmatic, critical and functional traits have luckily remained intact. But many (not all) of my work colleagues have not been able to counter balance the very strong focus on marginalisation, victimisation, social justice etc that has tended to result in many of them being uncritically prone to many of the discourses of identity politics...along with the related attitudes and behaviours. So I find I have to be very careful in how I express my humor and my political views in work settings..if I did not choose my audience carefully I would cop very severe social and professional sanctioning. My experience is just a microcosm - it is unreal how this army has risen in the last decade or 2.

3. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

And it's infecting all aspects of life.

Yesterday on FB I corrected a woman on a point if equine anatomy. She insisted it was all a "point of view ". I insisted that Anatomy was not subjective and demonstrated my point with histoligical studies.

But now I am a bully, being swarmed by the "sisters" and have been reported to facebook (FB essentially told them to go #### themselves).

Hilarious, but alarming.

Darc Knight likes this.
  4. Darc Knight

Darc Knight

While I wouldn't expect you'll win a Nobel Peace Prize anytime soon Wayne, it is ironic that you're the Bully when it's "the Sisters" hunting in a pack like they always seem to.

"Swarmed" - I like it :D

wayneL likes this.
  5. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

Then you get hold outs like this person:

wayneL likes this.