Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The Martial Arts Thread

Reactions
My mate that i used to live with in Japan has now returned and opened a Bujinkan Dojo in Adelaide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bujinkan

An awesome guy and a very professional instructor.

11 years direct training under Hatsumi Sensei (master of no less than 9 schools of martial arts)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaaki_Hatsumi

Cost: $10 (concession $8)
Time: Every Sunday 12 – 2pm
Place: Fullarton Scouts Hall, 1a Culross Avenue, Myrtle Bank
Queries: Call Steve on 0450 404 270

PM me if you'd like more info or give Steve a call (as I said he's a great guy and very friendly)

Reactions
I use to do karate for a while, Kyokushin which is a great style and is very similar to Shotokan, except Kyokushin was more full contact ... both styles I respect, I believe there are only 4 styles, that truly descend from the original karate, but perhaps I am wrong, those 2, and 2 others which aren't really practiced.

There are so many other styles of marital arts, throughout the world, karate is only one, ... one thing I do note from some clubs is that they become an overwhelming lifestyle for some members, which is not unusual for clubs in general, and if that is what you are looking for, then that is great, but however if you are involved in 10 other things, then perhaps it is more of a commitment your ready to ... anyway had great fun doing martial arts, great for fitness and respect those that do it.

Reactions
I did kickboxing for a long time, and can hold my own in a fight. But I have a friend who did ninjitsu and kyokyshin karate who is in a whole other league.

A car full of gentlemen of middle eastern appearance, four of them, got out and tried to bash him - as you do, wouldn't be a good night out without a four on one on an aussie walking home. Anyway - He Bruce Lee'd them so bad that they were struggling to help each other get back into the car and drive off. Not many people I can think of that could do that and still be upright.

He posts on this board - take a bow - Disarray.

He also bitchslaps people who throw ice at him. Not me - I'm not that silly to try :)

Reactions
Have been practising Wing Chun for a while now.
Have been in HK lately with the association training with the one of the 4 head grandmasters there.

Bruce Lee was part of this school and style in his early days in HK. Of course he expanded and researched extra on his style to have Jeet Kune Do.

But the foundations of WC are very consistent with Bruce's ramblings about efficiency and economy rather than focusing on flashy moves and unnecessary forms/katas/ and routines that serve no purpose. Famed for our "one inch punch" - and yes it is really painful

Sorry rambling
Check it out - there is a recent movie by Donnie Yen about the Head of Wing Chun - Ip Man

Reactions
I did Bujinkan Ninjitsu for about 5 years - starting in about '97.

I highly recommend it - a mixture of strikes, grappling and weapons that really teaches you how to handle real-life situations. Couldn't have enjoyed it more while I was doing it.

Reactions
I enjoy hearing stories about thugs picking on someone more skilled than they are. A friend of mine has much experience with Karate and street fighting; occasionally thugs attack him and get more than they give. Seems there's no shortage of bullies out there if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. (my friend has a habit of being in the wrong place). The cops can only do so much so a little vigilante action is a good thing I think.

I'm putting the kids through Taekwondo - maybe not the most effective martial art, but still good, and the club is friendly and family oriented. If they're interested I'll add in a close combat art in the future.

What are people's thoughts on the best close combat forms geared towards street fighting where you might have more than one oponent?

Reactions
I believe there are only 4 styles ... karate ...
Had abit more time to research this today ... been ages since looked into Martial Arts history.

Appears that there are 4 main schools of karate in Japan - Goju-ryu, Sh1to-ryu, Shotokan, and Wado-ryu.

Kyokushin , was created by Masutatsu Oyama , originally trained in Goju-ryu.

I don't really know much about Goju-ryu, Wado-ryu or Sh1to-ryu - but there appears to be quite a presence of these clubs throughout Australia.

Reactions
I enjoy hearing stories about thugs picking on someone more skilled than they are. A friend of mine has much experience with Karate and street fighting; occasionally thugs attack him and get more than they give. Seems there's no shortage of bullies out there if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. (my friend has a habit of being in the wrong place). The cops can only do so much so a little vigilante action is a good thing I think.

I'm putting the kids through Taekwondo - maybe not the most effective martial art, but still good, and the club is friendly and family oriented. If they're interested I'll add in a close combat art in the future.

What are people's thoughts on the best close combat forms geared towards street fighting where you might have more than one oponent?
Bujinkan is oriented towards real life street fighting against multiple attackers.

Reactions

Friend of mine is one of the most experienced Taekwondo exponents in the country, he always backs away from a fight but could kill you in seconds if need be.

They don't train one on one, they take on 4 or 5 guys at a time.

Don't underestimate Taekwondo.

Reactions

Krav Maga (Mossad and Israelli Special Forces H2H)
or
Systema (Russian Special Forces H2H)

Krav is ultimately about surviving and getting away, but teaches some pretty serious striking.

Systema is pretty much lethal hand to hand combat.

Pretty serious stuff to get into though

Reactions
Friend of mine is one of the most experienced Taekwondo exponents in the country, he always backs away from a fight but could kill you in seconds if need be.

Beware, martial arts is a bit like trading.
Lots of info and you have to sort thru all the BS.
Some mysticism that you never see - kind of like Gann real time charts here *cringe*
Best thing is to see and experience it for yourself

Like the above quote - somehow implies TKD system can take multiple attackers
MrBurns I don't know if you have sparred multiple attackers - it is extremely difficult and especially if you are up against all skilled opponents.

All fighting systems have the goal of being able to handle many situations and scenarios e.g. multiple, knife and weapon disarm etc

From my experiences so far for street (and yes it will depend on teacher and school):
Krav Maga
Wing Chun
Kali/Arnis/Escrima
Any of the Silat styles
Qin Na
MMA exponents

I'd imagine ninjitsu would be part of this as it is very lethal orientated but have never met anyone who practises this.

Reactions
Krav Maga is good - teaches three strike zones, groin, eyes and throat from memory.

Less "martial artsy" and a good self defence program

i've got a whole lot of KM dvd's lying around from Carl Halley somewhere.

Reactions
I had no idea there were so many fighting styles. I checked out Wiki and Youtube and some of them look very practical. I see nobody mentioned Judo - is that because it is effective against a single opponent but not so good for multiple attackers?

My 9yo daughter has no power/speed behind her punches but can deliver a good kick. We practice scenarios at home like kick to the groin and run, kick to the head/groin if she's on her back, bite the ear or throat and rip, eye gouges, elbow to the spine or back of the head if she's over the shoulder, etc. We're about to start more contact sparring with a friends kid too - must practice.

Reactions
Guys I hate to rain on your parade but punching the air for ten years and claiming you can kill a man with one blow is nuts Boxing kickboxing jui jutsi mma were you make contact with the head and body is the only way to give you so hope in a real self defence situation

tech/a

No Ordinary Duck
Reactions
Was one of Jim Fung's first 3 students when he arrived in Australia. He was dating a friends sister. Jim was a wonderful and warm friend. have not trained for years.
Very upset when I was contacted by the Wing Chun Acadamy who informed me he had died of Nasal Cancer---Just like Jim few knew!

Jimmy.gif

A wonderful Friend and Disipline neither will I forget.

Reactions
Guys I hate to rain on your parade but punching the air for ten years and claiming you can kill a man with one blow is nuts Boxing kickboxing jui jutsi mma were you make contact with the head and body is the only way to give you so hope in a real self defence situation
Is this the beginning (again) of MMA and UFC enthusiasts coming in to tell how its done?

I hope this does not turn into this system is better than others thread

LOL

Reactions
Was one of Jim Fung's first 3 students when he arrived in Australia. He was dating a friends sister. Jim was a wonderful and warm friend. have not trained for years.
Very upset when I was contacted by the Wing Chun Acadamy who informed me he had died of Nasal Cancer---Just like Jim few knew!

Jimmy.gif

A wonderful Friend and Disipline neither will I forget.
Tech - have met Sifu Jim and Sigung

Sifu Jim passed away about 3 years ago, frequently did Chi Sao with his students
Must mean you know Albert and Co.

tech/a

No Ordinary Duck
Reactions
Tech - have met Sifu Jim and Sigung

Sifu Jim passed away about 3 years ago, frequently did Chi Sao with his students
Must mean you know Albert and Co.
No never met Albert.

Jim hadn't started the Academy when I trained with him.
His English was pretty average. but he didnt need to say much!
Infact when I stopped 5 yrs later he had only 15 or so Students I was 23 now 55.
He lived in a very modest home in Edwardstown a middle class working suburb in Adelaide. We used to attempt to walk up the gravel driveway without him hearing us.
He used to train with a wooden man and you could hear the blows as you crept up the path.
Took 18 mths to get to that door!

I clearly remember asking Jimmy how fast he really was.
Not the brightest thing I ever did.
He looked at me and said--Hit me.
I thought there is no way your going to see this---his eyes were fixed between my eyebrows.
I was as careful as I could be not to telegraph a very short open handed punch aimed at his jaw----about 18 inches away.
I remember feeling a tap to my wrist and elbow the blow went sailing past the side of his head and an inverted fist was under my nose touching lightly.

I never asked again.
We didn't have Ghee's
Nor was there a belt system.
Only Brother and Senior brother.Of course Jim was Master.

Jim had a wicked sense of humor which I enjoyed.

I lost track of him for a long period when he moved to Sydney.
But one day I was at the Directors pub in Adelaide next to the Wing Chun Acadamy. I was out side with one of the other original students--Geoff.
Having a drink one night. Wing Chun the furthest thing from our minds.

I then noticed Jim and 2 other Chinese guys striding toward a Black Merc across the road.
I got up and walked toward him--- yelling Jimmy---Jimmy Fung.
The two Chinese guys turned toward me and Jim kept walking.
I yelled louder and Jim turned and caught my eye.

I'll never forget as he turned on his heel and gave me an enormous hug in the middle of the road. "You should have stayed with me my friend you would be so strong and powerful" he said. He missed his plane when he realised Geoff also was there we laughed and talked like it was just yesterday. I never saw him again.

Reactions
Like the above quote - somehow implies TKD system can take multiple attackers
MrBurns I don't know if you have sparred multiple attackers - it is extremely difficult and especially if you are up against all skilled opponents.
Well it can take multiple attackers, the guy I'm talking about is at the top of the tree, He has more developed muscles in one hand than most people have in their body, I've seen people go white as he does his hand exercises.

Please don't knock others statements when you just don't know.