• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

The great escape

Discussion in 'Business, Investment and Economics' started by qldfrog, Feb 20, 2019.

1. qldfrog

qldfrog

A thread about relocation for retirement, pre retirement or even working career out of Australia focussing on taxation, living cost, legal issues,tax residency

willy1111 likes this.
  2. qldfrog

qldfrog

25y ago, i moved into Australia, a country of hope, low red tape,low debt and a bright future.
    No regret there but the reason i left France 25y ago have caught up with Australia.A culture of self entitlement, welfare mentality, a tax the rich mentality, ever expanding government influence, and it is very easy to see where all this is leading.
    Luckily,i have reached the stage of pre retirement while still readonably young.
    Not only do i see no nice economic future here but it is clear that after having been taxed to the hilt for most of my professional life, the next stages will be getting these assets and 25y of savings seized..call it death duty, asset taxes, home tax, whatever
    The pending labour election will precipitate that trend.
    While it is still time, i think it is time to move on.
    I am keen to get opinion or experience of people having followed that path.
    I love Australia so plan to spend at least part of the year here but try not to be a tax resident here.
    I look for a country with reasonable cost of living, not indecent taxation rate on income aka below 33%
    Decent infrastructure, safety and medical facilities.
    Ability to carry on some of my business activities
    Having migrated before i have only a son here and few good friends so that is not an issue
    Europe is a no go,....i am not on a warrant there but i see too many troubles ahead in the next 20y
    So far:
    On the list
    Costa rica/Panama/Japan and New Zealand..any feedback?
    suggestions

moXJO, willy1111 and jbocker like this.
  3. sptrawler

sptrawler

I suppose if I was looking to re locate, I would lean toward NZ, scenic, speak the lingo and similar way of life.
    The only thing that worries me about NZ is, if it was such a great place to live, you wouldn't have so many of them living here.:eek:

qldfrog likes this.
  4. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Pacific Islands sounds good.

Bahamahs, Fiji, Tonga, Vanuatu, Tahiti or Indonesia. Cheap living. Many expats over there.

qldfrog likes this.
  5. macca

macca

I have family in NZ the biggest worry is when is the "really big earthquake" going to hit.

What happened in Christchurch seems to happen every 50 or 60 years somewhere in NZ as the continental plates keep grinding away.

The cause of the problem is that in the North Island the top plate sliding ON to the other plate is tilted, in the South Island that same plate is trying to go UNDER the other plate.

This why Cook Strait exists and why Wellington has so many earthquakes, they are right on the pivot point.

As far as lifestyle is concerned, it is much like Australia was under Howard and Costello but they have recently voted for the left wing style of government so that may change in future.

Keys did a brilliant job of getting the place going again but as usual, when the country is looking good the general populace decide to vote for a softer more generous government.

Seems to happen too here over the past few decades, Labor introduce good but expensive ideas and the populace then vote in the Liberals who we expect to work our how to pay for them.

Every one gets a turn

qldfrog likes this.
  6. jbocker

jbocker

What are these places like when sickness strikes. I have quite a few ailments unfortunately, and feel health care is pretty good here. (Top health cover helps).
    I had not considered living long term overseas, with a lot of (wonderful) family anchors attached. But I do yearn for an easier more affordable carefree lifestyle at times.

qldfrog likes this.
  7. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Sure, same here. The OP seems less concerned about such things though and seems to be looking for a low tax haven.

Plus the fact that it's getting pretty expensive to live in Oz these days. As long as you remain an Oz citizen you can come back for health care if you really need it. A lot of people are moving to Asia for the cheaper more free lifestyle.

qldfrog likes this.
  8. jbocker

jbocker

My grand plan a number of years ago was to become 'homeless', and live wherever I wanted in the world for 3-6 months in furnished rental. Initially I thought my kids would get good jobs and go elsewhere in the world. Wife and I travel to a near location (a couple of suburbs away) of each of the kids for a period. Then lob in Asia somewhere for the Christmas months and kids lob in with us, drop off the grandkids and our kids and partners shoot through for their own 'couples time' for a week. Investments here would fund our rent and living expenses.
    Didn't eventuate. Kids got good jobs locally. Then Grandkids. No moving the Mrs then! Got myself some ailments didn't help.

qldfrog likes this.
  9. qldfrog

qldfrog

I am in the early 50s so no retiree discount, cheap healthcare here
    I just fork 4k in mandatory healthcare plus 1.5pc of income, sure it is not the US but my out of pocket expense on a pair of glasses would buy me a new one directly in China..as i know China but sure same in se asia
    What if i need a bypass etc...well do your figures.....
    And i would get private cover overseas..

I probably will have to go another 20y on my own savings before touching my super.
    not doable here as i see things going.
    not too impressed by islands life, no trust in Indonesia.
    i like the easy idea of NZ but as sptrawler said why are so many nzers here...

I did not have good vibes with the people when visiting the south island.
    While in the oz outback, when travelling, i have always had decent if not warm welcome, south islanders have all been to the borderline of unpleasant and this is before even talking or spending my tourist money there...
    My miss did not like it at all for that reason, planning to visit north island to check too.
    I understand earthquake factor, not especially worried if living in a wooden house, but this is a factor
    Worse for me is the fact i think to a lesser degree, NZ will follow the Oz path.....we share same regulations in many areas etc..

Anyone knowledgeable on Central America.?.i know probably full of yanks
    Thanks all for the comments

10. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Trumpland sounds just the thing you are looking for. :)

Or move to Qld and hope for another Joh.

11. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

Everyone is actually going back to NZ and leaving Australia. The figures have been like that the last few years.
    For me NZ was a bit boring to live in. However beautiful scenery, easy to get around, people are mostly friendly.

I'm thinking of leaving Australia as well. I'll probably head to asia. Faster pace and more opportunities.

qldfrog likes this.
  12. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

So are the sheep. :D

Will be interesting to see if the return of Kiwi expats is due to the change of government with most likely more welfare being offered.

qldfrog likes this.
  13. qldfrog

qldfrog

And a reason i am not too keen...
    They elected another instagram PC caricature, a la Macron/Trudeau..
    Not a good sign

14. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

More jobs and opportunities. And Australia is expensive and over regulatory. We seem to be over the golden era and into the "over taxed" and "over billed" era.

qldfrog likes this.
  15. trading_rookie

trading_rookie

qldfrog likes this.
  16. qldfrog

qldfrog

Thanks, i have been to Malaysia a bit, not sure but yes it is worth checking.some nice places

17. basilio

basilio

This website explores some possibilities for a great escape. I have heard that Costa Rica has a number of ticks.
    [​IMG]
    International Living Daily Postcards
    International Living Daily Postcards

Each day we uncover some of the most desirable–and cheapest–retirement havens on earth. In International Living’s free daily postcards, you’ll learn about retirement, property, travel and lifestyle opportunities from around the world.

qldfrog likes this.
  18. basilio

basilio

qldfrog likes this.
  19. qldfrog

qldfrog

I just subscribed less than a months ago, Belize indeed to add, i expect a trip this year visiting Panama, Costa Rica and now Belize..thanks
    Costa rica has a lot of plus on paper
    Green,..latin culture, stable

20. AussieSF201705

AussieSF201705

South Africa even further along than Australia.. The trend appears to be a global one.

I subscribed to the mailing list below a few days ago. I have no affiliation. The first few emails have definitely raised my interest levels.

https://www.sovereignman.com/