• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

The Future of Private Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Medium/Long Term Investing' started by Jack Aubrey, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

They haven't been ignored at all. Governments do plenty to promote healthy lifestyle, but as explained, it's a dead end. People indulge unhealthy habits to self-medicate. You can't just take away 'medications' (read: coping mechanisms) and not expect major repurcussions. Why do kids risk their lives taking drugs at dance parties? It's the very same reason an adult might use alcohol or soft drinks.

The only short term solution I can think of is one which would never be permitted. That is, the education of wannabe parents that if they can't properly provide a loving environment for children, then they shouldn't have them. They need to understand they may have a very hard time with their offspring if they can't create the proper environment. Something like the 'dogs aren't just for xmas' slogan.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  2. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

There has been a lot of talk and some money for mental health treatment but little talk about the causes of mental illness which seems to be increasing on a per capita basis.

Unrealistic expectations of life perhaps, the idea that in a modern technological society more things will be done for us. Maybe that's the problem, too much reliance on technology and too little on individual achievement.

Who knows, I'm no psychologist.

qldfrog likes this.
  3. qldfrog

qldfrog

Nature has a good way to sort things up as us boys die significantly earlier than the ladies, and not only because we speed more

Jack Aubrey likes this.
  4. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

5. sptrawler

sptrawler

6. dyna

dyna

Either pay the basic hospital cover or cop the tax penalty.It's as simple that,kids(Johnnie Howard's words,I think)Those youngsters under thirty,quitting in droves right now,aren't thinking far ahead are they? They'll all be sorry when they start earning a decent wage and then get hit with the extra 1% plus the killer, 10 year lifetime health cover loading.Oh well,nobody cares about smokers paying 60+ % tax and beer drinkers,40+% ...more coin for Treasury,I guess.

sptrawler likes this.
  7. willoneau

willoneau

I never joined it when it started years ago, but my folks did. when they stopped working and maybe needed it they couldn't afford it, lucky for them never needed it and they are now in their late 70's and healthy.

qldfrog and sptrawler like this.
  8. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

In my view PHS is the actual tax rort that Labor should have gone to the last election with a plan to scrap completely.

Stop the PHS handouts and put the money into public hospitals for everyone's benefit.

I'll admit to having PHS but I'll also acknowledge that the reason is simply tax avoidance. As a concept it's a silly one and I'm considering dropping it even though it'll cost me in tax to do so. Better to prop up Medicare, that's what funds most medical treatment anyway. :2twocents

qldfrog and sptrawler like this.
  9. willoneau

willoneau

I don't mind paying the tax penalty, I see it as a form of donating to charity.

Smurf1976, qldfrog and sptrawler like this.
  10. jbocker

jbocker

This is a great thread folks, I really appreciate the comments. I have a few to add but need a bit of time to compile. It was an area I had invested in (NHF). However I was not sure I was comfortable in profiting from the system as a shareholder. Got out in May last year with decent profit, and missed some further good upside. I just looked and it has had a decent slide from July Last year. Happy I went with my ethics.

qldfrog likes this.