• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Temperature Watch

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ann, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Ann

Ann

It is very interesting to see that Chicago's lowest temperatures were in the 1980s before that the coldest temperatures were the 1870s.
    They listed January 30th 2019 as being -22 when it actually got down to -29 which appears to make it the coldest year on record for Chicago.
    There could be real problems for the farmers as they will be totally unprepared for the severe cold weather as there have been no warnings. It means they could lose stock, crops and potentially run out of food for their animals. There may also be food shortages for the general population as it is unlikely much grain has been stored. It may create massive price hikes for commodities. This in turn will cause higher inflation which in turn may cause the Fed to increase interest rates to cope with the inflation, which in turn may send the markets into a bit of a spiral downwards leading to a recession.

falling mercury Chicago.png

Wednesday chicago.png

2. Knobby22

Knobby22 Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast

So has Chicago got its lowest measured temperature ever? Quite amazing to view on the news.

3. Darc Knight

Darc Knight Investor not Trader

4. Ann

Ann

Chicago set new cold weather records

Rockford and Illinois broke all-time record temperatures

.......The polar vortex weather event did usher in two new all-time records in Rockford, Illinois and Mt. Carroll, Illinois. Rockford’s temperatures on Thursday reached minus 31 degrees, sinking below its previous record of minus 27 on January 10, 1982.
    Mt. Carroll reach 38 degrees below zero on Thursday, and if deemed accurate by a committee, will set a new all-time record for the state of Illinois. Previously, the lowest temperature ever recorded in the state was minus 36 at Congerville on January 5, 1999........

If this sort of weather is not simply an aberation but a herald for what may be in store for the Northern Hemisphere they may need to re-think their power generation. Obviously in the depth of a freezing winter, solar and wind generation will not be an option and now it appears that nuclear power is also out as it needs a source of running water to cool the reactors. If their water source freezes over they can't get water, reactors will then have to be shut down or it could just be a case of 'frazil ice' in the case of New Jersey.
    New Jersey Nuclear Reactor Shut Down By Polar Vortex

Same problem here...

Below-freezing temps shut down Salem nuclear reactor

Have we been lulled into a false sense of security that the warm will keep going? We are not prepared for freezing conditions. If there is not a reliable power supply then hundreds if not thousands of people may die in mere days when power plants fail.
    If nuclear is out, wind and solar is out, that leaves us with oil, gas and coal. One wonders if we will be able to extract gas by fracking methods from frozen earth? Gas might be out as well.
    We should be stockpiling this stuff, just in case.
    It is like someone who lives from paycheck to paycheck with no backup savings. We must rethink power generation.

Note to investors, perhaps coal, gas and oil stocks may be worth watching, personally I don't think I would bother watching uranium stocks. I wonder if there are any stocks for woolen products? When I was a little tacker in the colder days, they used to say 'Australia rides on the sheep's back', meaning we used to make enormous money from wool. Jobs of the future, wool classers and shearers....maybe? I am sure it will all be computerized with robotics or genetics which just lets the fleece fall at a given time and a machine will automatically class the fleece.

This thread is about actual proven temperatures, that is why I called it Temperature Watch. It is not for computer generated models that may or may not eventuate. Please stay on topic and avoid trolling
    dk.

5. Darc Knight

"The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century, a change driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere.4 Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with the five warmest years on record taking place since 2010. Not only was 2016 the warmest year on record, but eight of the 12 months that make up the year — from January through September, with the exception of June — were the warmest on record for those respective months. 5"

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

6. Darc Knight

qldfrog likes this.
  7. Joules MM1

Joules MM1 ....everything has an art

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earthtalks-global-warming-harsher-winter/

"Even most global warming skeptics agree that a specific cold snap or freak storm doesn’t have any bearing on whether or not the climate problem is real. One such skeptic, Jimmy Hogan of the Rational Environmentalist website writes, “If we are throwing out anecdotal evidence that refutesglobal warming we must at the same time throw out anecdotal evidence that supports it.”"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The World Health Organization said several children have died from bitterly cold weather in Syria, most from hypothermia. Around 33,000 people are living in camps in freezing temperatures."
    At least 29 children have died from hypothermia in Syrian refugee camps
    https://twitter.com/i/moments/1091022603177857024

basilio likes this.
  8. Joules MM1

speaking of recent old news of extreme weather
    "Snow falls in the Sahara desert. The town of Ain Sefra, on the edge of the Sahara desert, was hit by icy weather last week - and even snow. Snowfall is very rare in the Sahara, despite the fact that it can becold at night - because there's rarely enough water around for any kind of precipitation.Jan 9, 2018"
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-africa-42627090/snow-falls-in-the-sahara-desert
    ===========================
    it snowed in the Sahra in 1979 previously
    ===========================
    http://www.alicespringsnews.com.au/2016/06/18/hail-stones-usually-dont-come-that-big/

"Yesterday’s wild hail storm dumped on the town from cumulo nimbus clouds 30,000 to 40,000 feet tall, creating a rare weather event, says Graeme King of the Bureau of Metereology.
    The bigger stones are usually a feature of hail in springtime, not in June, he says. The hail in Ilparpa on June 13 last year had smaller stones – pea to marble sized hail.
    The little balls of ice – which don’t show up in the rain gauges – came in company with unusually heavy rain, including 37.6mm between 4pm and 5pm measured at the Plaza in the CBD.
    The combination of a low level trough aligning with the MacDonnell Ranges and an amplifying upper lever trough created the conditions for severe thunderstorms to form.
    “Additionally, the southerly flow against the ranges created extra uplift and large instability in the atmosphere and fuelled the growth of hail-producing supercells,” says Mr King."
    ( "Comment on Hail stones usually don’t come that big by Alex Nelson.
    It’s interesting to note Graeme King’s observation about the scale of yesterday’s storm, where he commented: “The bigger stones are usually a feature of hail in springtime, not in June.”
    http://www.alicespringsnews.com.au/2016/06/18/hail-stones-usually-dont-come-that-big/?cid=1687705 )

9. Joules MM1

Darc Knight and basilio like this.
  10. Joules MM1

NASA GISS‏Verified account @NASAGISS
    The GISS surface temperature analysis for 2018 will be released next Wednesday morning, Feb 6. We anticipate that the data will be posted on our website at 10 and there will be a joint NASA/GISS-@NOAANCEIclimate press telecon an hour later to discuss the results.

12:15 PM - 31 Jan 2019
    "Note that there will be an official @NASA press advisory issued on Monday with finalized schedule and details."

======================================

https://www.carbonbrief.org/qa-how-is-arctic-warming-linked-to-polar-vortext-other-extreme-weather
    31 January 2019 16:56
    "The cold, snowy weather has also been accompanied by a flurry of stories about the “polar vortex” and how it can bring extreme weather to the northern hemisphere mid-latitude regions of North America, Europe and Asia. But that is not the only way that the Arctic can affect conditions further south.
    "Over the past decade or so, a growing body of research has proposed ways in which rapid Arctic warming can lead to harsh winters, summer heatwaves and even floods and droughts across the mid-latitudes.
    Some scientists say that climate change and Arctic sea ice loss are the root cause of these events, but others are more circumspect."
    The Arctic is warming more than twice as quickly than the global surface average. This phenomenon is known as “Arctic amplification”. It stems predominantly from the rapid loss of sea ice cover in the region. As Arctic sea ice diminishes, energy from the sun that would have been reflected away by the bright white ice is instead absorbed by the ocean, causing further warming. (Declining snow cover over Arctic land areas has the same effect.)

Late summer and early autumn have seen the largest declines in Arctic sea ice cover. Average September sea ice extent, for example, has decreased by around 13% per decade since 1979."
    (read on...)
    https://www.carbonbrief.org/qa-how-is-arctic-warming-linked-to-polar-vortext-other-extreme-weather
    [​IMG]

Darc Knight likes this.
  11. Joules MM1

Darc Knight likes this.
  12. Joules MM1

13. Joules MM1

Antti Lipponen‏Verified account @anttilip Jan 28
    Temperature anomalies arranged by country 1900 - 2018 [​IMG]. Data: Robert Rohde (@RARohde) / Berkeley Earth. #dataviz #climateviz #climate #climatechange #globalwarming

------------------------------------

Robert Rohde‏ @RARohde Jan 30
    Some of the forecasts for Chicago call for a high 45 F (25 C) below normal. If that holds true, it will be only the 2nd year to see a deviation that large during the last 25 years anywhere in the lower 48 states. Such large cold excursions were actually more common in the past.
    [​IMG]

14. Ann

Ann

My goodness, Joules (sorry edit, I said Bas) must be feeling intimidated, he is bombing this thread! Sorry mate, I have no time to reads through all this stuff, I am sure there is some good stuff here if I really looked but just too much to read. Do I bomb your threads? No, never have. The most weak and angry always go on the attack, so why do the GW cult members feel so intimidated with a simple thread showing weather temperatures? Probably insecurity. Possibly afraid of the simple truth. There is no out of control Global Warming.

We are having more days clustered together with warm days, sucks but whatever, get over it! The higher temperatures days and nights are compensated by colder days and nights. We are currently suffering from 'Global Clusters' they are called 'anomalies' and that is what all these hockey stick charts are based on, something similar to a projected mock-up aka projection aka bullsh!t.

If it was a stock, higher highs, lower lows would not see me buying into this stock. I would want a ship load more proven indicators to buy in. I am not buying in, are you folks?

That 2013 temperature chart was a projected mock-up aka projection and it had a warning attached from the BOM

"Aaron Coutts-Smith, the bureau's NSW head of climate monitoring, though, cautioned that the 50-degree reading is the result of just one of the bureau's models. "The indications are, from the South Australian office, that we are not looking at getting any where near that (50 degree level)."

Now let's look at the January result from the BOM.

[​IMG]

cynic likes this.
  15. rederob

rederob

That is flat out FALSE.
    There is absolutely no global data showing that trend. Indeed this shows it has not been the case since the mid-1960s.
    Apart from the fact there is zero scientific sense to your comment, you seem to have no idea what a climate "anomaly" is.
    Ummm, it was the synoptic chart forecast for the next day. It's been something weather reports have presented on TV for at least 50 years that I am aware and probably longer. The warning as you put it is hardly something the average person needs explained.
    Best you stick to charts Ann as you are clueless here.

explod, basilio and Darc Knight like this.
  16. basilio

basilio

Ann you started a thread called Temperature Watch. Unlike the thread that was your own pictures this is, I suggest, a thread for all people to participate in.
    It seems as if you are trying to prove that global temperatures aren't actually increasing.

That is just not true. The meteorological records of average maximum and minimum temperatures at almost all places on Earth are quite clear in showing that these are increasing.
    Can you offer any evidence to back up your view that global temperatures are not increasing around the world?

Darc Knight and explod like this.
  17. sptrawler

sptrawler

18. Ann

Ann

It will take me a while and that is why I haven't done it yet but yes I believe I can. Now that Jim Yong Kim has left the World Bank, they may well re-instate world temperature charts and figures again. The reports were stopped in 2015 which made me think they were not prepared to make the fact so clear that temperatures do appear to have peaked some years back. Different countries peaked in different years. I will start with Australia hopefully later today.

19. explod

explod explod

"
    Temperatures nudging 50 degrees, bushfires ravaging rainforests and people at increased risk of cardiac arrests because of heatwaves — this is the new normal for Australia and it’s being driven by climate change.

The Climate Council’s latest report, “Weather Gone Wild” has found climate change is increasing the frequency and/or severity of extreme weather and that Australians are suffering as a result.

Climate change is influencing all extreme weather events as they are occurring in a more energetic climate system. Australia is one of the most vulnerable developed countries in the world to the impacts of climate change. Heatwaves are becoming longer, hotter and starting earlier in the year. In the south of the country, where many Australians live and work, dangerous bushfire weather is increasing and cool season rainfall is dropping off, stretching firefighting resources, putting lives at risk and presenting challenges for the agriculture industry and other sectors, such as tourism."

http://www.climatecouncil.org.au/resources/climate-change-extreme-weather/

Love your Avatar, a nice little Pixie trotting along in Fairy Land.

satanoperca likes this.
  20. Ann

Ann

No information coming from your 'this' link it appears to be a sort of advertising site for storage.

No Rob it was not, it was an article from the Sydney Morning Herald back in 2013 with BOM telling people they had added a new colour of deep purple to their weather scale of colours on modeled projections. It was simply a mock-up from a single projection done to illustrate what the new colour might look like and the bureau sent a warning it was not happening, (see quote below)....However, I was looking at some of these modeled projections a few days ago on BOM, won't waste anymore time trying to find them again but I seem to remember this high deep purple is no longer part of the colour scale. I will put up an example if I can find it again.

It must have been a slow news day back on that Tuesday in2013 so the Sydney Morning Herald thought up a major splashy headline with no truth to the report to suck in the punters. "Temperatures off the charts as Australia turns deep purple" It wasn't true of course, it was just another bit of journalese bullsh!t, but facts ruin a good story and it is all about selling the papers. People just look at pictures anyway!
    "The Bureau of Meteorology's interactive weather forecasting chart has added new colours – deep purple and pink – to extend its previous temperature range that had been capped at 50 degrees.
    The range now extends to 54 degrees – well above the all-time record temperature of 50.7 degrees reached on January 2, 1960 at Oodnadatta Airport in South Australia – and, perhaps worringly, the forecast outlook is starting to deploy the new colours.
    "The scale has just been increased today and I would anticipate it is because the forecast coming from the bureau's model is showing temperatures in excess of 50 degrees," David Jones, head of the bureau's climate monitoring and prediction unit, said.
    Aaron Coutts-Smith, the bureau's NSW head of climate monitoring, though, cautioned that the 50-degree reading is the result of just one of the bureau's models. "The indications are, from the South Australian office, that we are not looking at getting any where near that (50 degree level)."

It is Fool and her canine who are about to do an orbit of the park! Might see some fairies, saw a couple yesterday hand in hand! :)

Yes well what would you expect from a site run by Tim Flannery, he has to do his backers' bidding and defend his political cause and I am sure he doesn't let all the facts ruin a good story either!