• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Take me under your wing...

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by pearcey29, Nov 5, 2018.

1. pearcey29

pearcey29

Hi my name is Jamie I am 29 yrs old an i am from Melbourne.
    I have always had a interest in the asx but never really new where to start and still kinda don't
    iv made a trading account on commsec and was looking for someone who has a bit of patience and knowledge to kinda teach me the ins and outs.This would be greatly appreciated

2. sptrawler

sptrawler

Hi Jamie, welcome to the forum, my suggestion would be pick a small number of companies that you like.
    Then use the search function to read people's views of those companies, if you are going to trade, read the trading member's post's.
    We have some very learned, traders on the forum, they have a wealth of knowledge.
    Best of luck in your voyage of discovery.

pearcey29 likes this.
  3. luutzu

luutzu

We talking the kind of appreciation that pay the bills or that useless kind? :D

The best advice in investing are always free. And you get them by reading far and wide. :xyxthumbs

4. pearcey29

pearcey29

haha love it everything is $$$ I am just trying to learn and understand bits and pieces

5. pearcey29

pearcey29

Thanks mate, I am reading as much as i can and watching youtube videos. thanks for the advise i will do that.

6. greggles

greggles I'll be back!

Pearcey, welcome to the forums. The first steps on this journey to understanding financial markets must be taken by you. You must take the time to learn and understand the basic, fundamental concepts. There are literally dozens of threads in the Beginner's Lounge forum started by people in the same position as yourself. I would seek out those threads and take what you can from them. Then move onto other forum discussions and resources on other websites that deal with the topics that you wish to learn about.

There's more than 14 years worth of content on this forum. Use the search feature and dig up threads on topics that interest you. Ask questions. Get involved in discussions. If you're really, truly, genuinely interested then you're going to have to sit in the driver's seat and take control of your own education. It's the only way to make it happen.

7. pearcey29

pearcey29

thank you yer i will definitely do that for sure I am only seeking silly questions of a novice like how many trades would you do in say a week/month/year kinda stuff so shouldn't be to hard to find hopefully

8. luutzu

luutzu

You buy/sell only when it's profitable. Profit does not depend to more or less trading activity, but on opportunity.

So spend time figuring out what would make a buy/sell profitable. However many time you do it depends on other people, not on yourself... well, somewhat depends on your account too but you get the idea :D

9. willoneau

willoneau

Hi you can trade as little or as much as you want , finding out how much you want is something you have to find out about yourself.

10. So_Cynical

So_Cynical The Contrarian Averager

Ask your questions in this thread pearcey, we will all take you under our collective wing.

pearcey29 likes this.
  11. $20shoes

$20shoes

By reading far and wide Pearcey, one thing you'll quickly realise is there are infinite ways/ideas/opinions on how to trade and invest. From my own experience its a journey of discovery that Im still on after many years.

To get to the heart of the matter will take some time but theres noise in every aspect of life. Try to hone in on a few simple ideas that you want to explore and test. Id be trying to answer these questions in the context of your own comfort levels (everyone has a different appetite for risk, and psychology is a massive thing in trading. Whether you lean to fundamental criteria or a technical strategy, to minimise the emotional swings try to run your portfolio as a business (Look at Peter2s posts on Momentum trading). The first lesson is protecting your capital!! Emotionally its challenging when you enter trade after trade that goes against you, so even timing your entry so they are quickly in the green is important to me.

The questions are:

What timeframes do i choose?
    Over time, why do I suffer drawdowns and other times am more profitable - can I exploit that in some way? Think sectors, patterns, company data, higher level timeframe trends.
    What is my plan to protect my capital? You dont care if youre right or wrong, you just need a plan to extract yourself from a losing trade that doesnt cause damage to your trading company.

pearcey29 likes this.
  12. pearcey29

pearcey29

Thanks So_Cynical.... i can understand that this is a massive learning curve and i have no issue in doing the reading and watching of tutorials I have only been seriously trying to learn about it for a week AND i am enjoying it BUT i can already tell there are a million ways to go about it and lots of different strategies. I do just want to take a second to say a big thank you to everyone that has and will help me. CHEERS