Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Syrian refugees

Craton

Mostly passive, contrarian.
Reaction score
A search for Syria, Syrian + refugee, refugees didn't bring up any specific result.

<rant>
My little hamlet of Broken Hill, NSW was looking at putting its hand up for an intake of said refugees.

My own personal reaction was; how in the hell can we provide for these destitute peoples when we can't provide water, let alone employment for our very own current residents?

Housing wouldn't be a problem coz currently there's so many vacant properties on the market.

Thankfully, our City Council has squashed the notion for the time being due to no concrete information regarding funding, assistance or any discussion on support for taking approx 250 of these Syrian souls. We got nothing, zip, nada, bugger all feedback from our State or Federal govt's.

Now because of the council's stance on this, and I fully support the reasoning behind the decision, some quarters are now calling us racists. FFS!

We struggle to maintain services, we struggle with water, we struggle with falling rate revenue due to the contracting mine revenues, we struggle to attract dedicated, skilled professionals to our little corner of the world, we struggle against the elements, we struggle full stop. Thus due to our struggles, we have a kindred affinity of sorts with these struggling refugees.

Why in the hell wouldn't we want to embrace peoples looking to start a new life who, no doubt, will work their ar$es off just like my immigrant parents did. Struggle and toil for a better future, a better life, a life that allows us the freedoms we take for granted.

Oh, I see, the terror threat eh. Well I'd reckon that if anyone of us in this tight knit community got wind of it, said terror threat will be extinguished quicker than a mossie hitting the zapper on the back verandah.

Some quick numbers on food alone and using a very low price per meal:
250 x 3 square meals per day @ $10 per meal = 250 x 15 x 3 = $7,500 per day
$7,500 x 7 = $52,500 per week
$52,500 x 52 = $2,730,000 per year just for food.

Add accommodation, healthcare services, transport, CentreLink payments and the list goes on....

That very frugal meal cost for a year is the same as our council's yealy budget deficit. A deficit which is being laden on the rate payer with the maximum yearly and one off percentage increases year in, year out for the forseeable future!

Without govt. assistance I say the council has made the right call. Let the wealthiest councils in the richest seaboard suburbs take them in!
</rant>

Reaction score
A search for Syria, Syrian + refugee, refugees didn't bring up any specific result.

<rant>
My little hamlet of Broken Hill, NSW was looking at putting its hand up for an intake of said refugees.

My own personal reaction was; how in the hell can we provide for these destitute peoples when we can't provide water, let alone employment for our very own current residents?

Housing wouldn't be a problem coz currently there's so many vacant properties on the market.

Thankfully, our City Council has squashed the notion for the time being due to no concrete information regarding funding, assistance or any discussion on support for taking approx 250 of these Syrian souls. We got nothing, zip, nada, bugger all feedback from our State or Federal govt's.

Now because of the council's stance on this, and I fully support the reasoning behind the decision, some quarters are now calling us racists. FFS!

We struggle to maintain services, we struggle with water, we struggle with falling rate revenue due to the contracting mine revenues, we struggle to attract dedicated, skilled professionals to our little corner of the world, we struggle against the elements, we struggle full stop. Thus due to our struggles, we have a kindred affinity of sorts with these struggling refugees.

Why in the hell wouldn't we want to embrace peoples looking to start a new life who, no doubt, will work their ar$es off just like my immigrant parents did. Struggle and toil for a better future, a better life, a life that allows us the freedoms we take for granted.

Oh, I see, the terror threat eh. Well I'd reckon that if anyone of us in this tight knit community got wind of it, said terror threat will be extinguished quicker than a mossie hitting the zapper on the back verandah.

Some quick numbers on food alone and using a very low price per meal:
250 x 3 square meals per day @ $10 per meal = 250 x 15 x 3 = $7,500 per day
$7,500 x 7 = $52,500 per week
$52,500 x 52 = $2,730,000 per year just for food.

Add accommodation, healthcare services, transport, CentreLink payments and the list goes on....

That very frugal meal cost for a year is the same as our council's yealy budget deficit. A deficit which is being laden on the rate payer with the maximum yearly and one off percentage increases year in, year out for the forseeable future!

Without govt. assistance I say the council has made the right call. Let the wealthiest councils in the richest seaboard suburbs take them in!
</rant>

Why Broken Hill? I thought we're supposed to get them out of destitude? :D

Read a while back some Victorian country town found their, African I think, refugees to have made positive contribution to the town and its economy within a couple of years.

Maybe there's no funding yet since the gov't reckon CentreLink payment to them will fund whatever extra strain will be on the community's utilities? But yea, come on Turnbull.

Reaction score

<rant>

</rant>

You call yourself 'struggling', but you reckon $10 is a very low priced frugal meal??? $30 a day can feed you extremely well. Try $2 a day.

Craton

Reaction score
Why Broken Hill? I thought we're supposed to get them out of destitude? :D

Lol, we're not quite at the destitution stage, just yet.

Read a while back some Victorian country town found their, African I think, refugees to have made positive contribution to the town and its economy within a couple of years.

Maybe there's no funding yet since the gov't reckon CentreLink payment to them will fund whatever extra strain will be on the community's utilities? But yea, come on Turnbull.

Ah, found it: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-...ld-22not-pursue22-refugee-resettlemen/6957052

Quote from the article:
Talks last week between regional councils about refugee resettlement did not include Broken Hill, with the state government saying it targeted councils with prior experience.

As Councillor Christine Adams states: "Broken Hill is a city that has welcomed, and been built on, multiculturalism."

I suppose refugees are different to immigrants... :rolleyes:

Reaction score
On a related note, I saw on the news that the first family to arrive were settled in Perth. The wife had two kids and was pregnant.

The first thought that went through my mind was this: if you were in a terror-torn country, afraid for your life, would you be breeding? And the answer is clearly, 'no'. Who would take the risk of exposing new borns or young children to such horrors?? Aside from that, sex drive is probably going to disappear when you're living in constant fear. So what's going on here? Can anyone explain this?

Craton

Reaction score
You call yourself 'struggling', but you reckon $10 is a very low priced frugal meal??? $30 a day can feed you extremely well. Try $2 a day. Sheeesh. :confused:

$2 a day is like what?
Bread and water.

I'd of thought including: food preparation, fluids (water), cleanup costs, cost of labour, whatever oh, and the actual food.

Please explain, enlighten me, I do want to understand. Bulk buying/supplying and feeding a hunger horde isn't my forte GB.

Reaction score
Keep drinking the cool-aid luutzu....

And what about some of the Africans who formed gangs as soon as they arrived?

Warning on African refugee gangs

POLICE in Melbourne fear the emergence of militant street gangs of young African refugees who have served in militia groups in their war-ravaged homelands.

A growing gangster mentality among young African men is worrying community leaders, who blame boredom, unemployment and drugs for turning young immigrants living in Melbourne's inner north towards violence and crime.

Police sources have told The Australian that while gang-related activity had not reached epidemic proportions, "it is a serious concern".

Young African leader Ahmed Dini said some Somali, Sudanese and Eritrean men, predominantly aged between 16 and 25, felt disconnected from mainstream society and were either forming or joining ethnic groups for protection and also for a sense of belonging.

He said they mainly lived in housing commission estates in the city's inner north - Flemington, Ascotvale and north Melbourne - and some had trained with heavy-duty military weapons while they were serving in militias overseas.

"Some of them have used rocket launchers and grenades," said Mr Dini, who is chairman of the community-based youth network Saygo.

He said the migrants were haunted by childhood images of killings, torture and rape, and were constantly on edge.

Craton

Reaction score
On a related note, I saw on the news that the first family to arrive were settled in Perth. The wife had two kids and was pregnant.

The first thought that went through my mind was this: if you were in a terror-torn country, afraid for your life, would you be breeding? And the answer is clearly, 'no'. Who would take the risk of exposing new borns or young children to such horrors?? Aside from that, sex drive is probably going to disappear when you're living in constant fear. So what's going on here? Can anyone explain this?

Geez your a hard man, but understand your reasoning.

I'd say sex is the one thing that people can have that is fun, takes the mind off the moment, no one else can tell you whether to have it or not and, is something that is done between loving couples whether they live in fear or not.

****, facing that situation I'd be have sex as much as I could knowing that it could very well be the last time.

Reaction score
$2 a day is like what?
Bread and water.

I'd of thought including: food preparation, fluids (water), cleanup costs, cost of labour, whatever oh, and the actual food.

Please explain, enlighten me, I do want to understand. Bulk buying/supplying and feeding a hunger horde isn't my forte GB.

I was annoyed because your comment reminded me how most people don't recognize what happens outside their own tightly knit socio-economic stratum. $10 per meal is a LOT. You're a struggler? No, you're not. Not even close.

Look, we're all different. I went to school with guys who thought that if you didn't have a yacht you were poor. So, I guess it just depends on your experience.

Craton

Reaction score

Um, we were talking country towns DB.

I'd reckon that the cities have a whole different set of dynamics and issues relating to not just African gangs but gangs in general. Do get your drift though and it is a concern of course.

Reaction score
****, facing that situation I'd be have sex as much as I could knowing that it could very well be the last time.

I'm not hard at all - I just like things to make some sense.

Sex can relieve normal every day stresses, sure. But, 'survival mode' and 'sex drive' are completely antithetical. Even if a woman could bring herself to do it when in survival mode, there's a high likelihood her body would prevent conception. So something isn't adding up there.

Craton

Reaction score
I was annoyed because your comment reminded me how most people don't recognize what happens outside their own tightly knit socio-economic stratum. $10 per meal is a LOT. You're a struggler? No, you're not. Not even close.

Look, we're all different. I went to school with guys who thought that if you didn't have a yacht you were poor. So, I guess it just depends on your experience.

Oh, I've struggled mate, don't you worry. When mom and dad go without food so the kids can eat, I know all about struggling and how one gets used to "going without".

My fault you took it the wrong way, I shouldn't have used the word 'frugal' and called it a 'round number' instead.

However, do please enlighten me on what it would cost to feed a Syrian refugee (or anyone else for that matter) with a well balanced meal, nutritional meal three times per day.

Craton

Reaction score
I'm not hard at all - I just like things to make some sense.

Sex can relieve normal every day stresses, sure. But, 'survival mode' and 'sex drive' are completely antithetical. Even if a woman could bring herself to do it when in survival mode, there's a high likelihood her body would prevent conception. So something isn't adding up there.

Fair enough. I think you're seeing too much into this pregnacy thing. Some women are more fertile than others just like some men are.

My own experience, I couldn't look at my dearly departed and she'd fall pregnant, her sister and hubby tried IVF without success. Go figure.

Same goes with sex drive if you ask me.

Reaction score
Oh, I've struggled mate, don't you worry. When mom and dad go without food so the kids can eat, I know all about struggling and how one gets used to "going without".

My fault you took it the wrong way, I shouldn't have used the word 'frugal' and called it a 'round number' instead.

However, do please enlighten me on what it would cost to feed a Syrian refugee (or anyone else for that matter) with a well balanced meal, nutritional meal three times per day.

$10 per day. This takes into consideration the fact that we don't need to prepare food for them since they are also given housing. That's $40/day for a 4 person family. With that, you go shopping yourself and buy fresh food and homebrand products. You don't buy junk food and you don't buy smokes or alcohol. Whatever small amount you don't spend, you save.

Given that Australia's major cities have people who are homeless and struggle to get one healthy meal a day, $10 is extremely generous imo.

The moment one parent gets a job, all support stops. Pay your own rent and services and food. That's how it should be.

Reaction score

I was part of the cool-aid :D

There will be some crime and criminal elements. Will be mal-adjustment and fish out of water stuff too. They're human after all... that's why we have the militarised Police and the Criminal Justice system, tung tung...

Vetting process of US on Syrian refugees:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
$10 per day. This takes into consideration the fact that we don't need to prepare food for them since they are given housing. That's $40/day for a 4 person family. With that, you go shopping yourself and buy fresh food and homebrand products. You don't buy junk food and you don't buy smokes or alcohol. Whatever small amount you don't spend, you save.

Given that Australia's major cities have people who are homeless and struggle to get one healthy meal a day, $10 is extremely generous imo.

It doesn't need to be either refugees or the homeless. Can be "AND", both.

We spend at least $500million last year help liberate them from ISIS, what's another few millions that actually go towards helping them... and with these money we'll actually see a return in that it'll be spend, most of it, at local Australian stores; get it back from their productive work since they aren't running scared or blown up; get it back from the contributions they'll make through a lifetime.

Reaction score

Australia get three kids and don't have to pay any baby bonus.

Craton

Reaction score
$10 per day. This takes into consideration the fact that we don't need to prepare food for them since they are also given housing. That's $40/day for a 4 person family. With that, you go shopping yourself and buy fresh food and homebrand products. You don't buy junk food and you don't buy smokes or alcohol. Whatever small amount you don't spend, you save.

The moment one parent gets a job, all support stops. Pay your own rent and services and food. That's how it should be.

Now that's making some sense. So individuals would need to live together for the cost savings and again, support stops when gainfully employed.

You know, it's funny where some of these threads takes one, unlocking memories...
The homeless is a group I still can't quite get my head around as it's not a lifestyle choice one cares to make. Brief and dark as it was I didn't really understand it, the situation I was in at the time. I guess I was lucky in so much that I was strong willed and determined enough to forge my way out of that existence. That was a long, long time ago and almost forgotten, buried so deep.

I know that the choice, isn't really a choice at all and that drugs, alcohol, one's mindset, family disputes even crime all play a part. If the best minds in the country can't solve the homeless problem, I'm certain that I can't. As I said, it's not a lifestyle choice I'd care to make.

Same can probably be said of the refugees, not a lifestyle choice they'd care to make.

Tisme

Apathetic at Best
Reaction score

Primitive drives in play = survival of the species... the mental damage is secondary to the procreation need.

Reaction score
Primitive drives in play = survival of the species... the mental damage is secondary to the procreation need.

I doubt that, it's the ingrained religion that says contraception is the work of the devil.

It's all about survival of religion, not the species.