• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum
  1. Guest, entries in the Full CY 2020 Tipping Competition are now open and close at midnight on 31 December. With $1,850 in cash to be won you'd have to be crazy not to enter. Please post your entries in the Tipping Competition for Full CY 2020 thread in the ASX Stock Chat forum. Good luck!

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Superannuation top up or stock market?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by bfhoon, Feb 7, 2015.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

1. bfhoon

bfhoon

Hi Everyone

Thought I would open up an interesting thread on whether people would recommend dumping 10K into my super now or 10K into a stock with a dividend and what the possible advantages/disadvantages would be.

Currently im 33 years old with a dismal super balance of $50K. Would Like to crack the 1 million mark for super at retirement which I cant see me achieving more like $450K being optimistic. By the time I retire I will own an IP worth $450K in todays dollars and my PPOR which is also worth 450K in todays dollars.

What would everyone do im thinking if I pick a good stock that goes up over 40 years + the added advantage of dividends for 40 + years im assuming the stock will eventually pay for itself and I can reap the rewards in retirement.

Im just at that age now where my financial future is so damn important before I hit age 30 I didn't care whatsoever although I always thought about super and made extra contributions etc. Apart from that though I had no interest in my future im glad im knuckling down now though....

Hoping for an interesting discussion here :)

2. themeinvestor

themeinvestor Theme Investment

So many choices!! Good choices though.

Putting it away in super gives you tax advantages, but it is locked away until you retire.

I quite like the calculators on ASIC's moneysmart website too. The calculator I've linked to below compares super to mortgage repayments, but you can play around with the figures a bit.

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/super...per-contributions/contributing-extra-to-super

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/tools-and-resources/calculators-and-apps/super-vs-mortgage-calculator

3. bfhoon

bfhoon

Interesting calculator i probably does rely on your super fund making a better than average return and who knows in 15 ears time what super funds will be returning.

4. So_Cynical

So_Cynical The Contrarian Averager

Perhaps salary sacrifice 10k into super and spend the 10k in hand, saving maybe 1k in tax...depending on your circumstances.

5. christianrenel

christianrenel

Hi Bfhoon,

Benefit of investing the money outside of superannuation is that you may be able to borrow against this portfolio at later stage and leverage your money.

If your personal goal is to have $1 million inside superannuation, this would be a good way to start achieving this goal.

Kind Regards

christiarenel