Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Student expelled for lesbian parents

Reactions
Student expelled for lesbian parents

From correspondents in Los Angeles

24sep05

A TEENAGE girl has been expelled from a US Christian school after officials discovered her parents were lesbians whose lifestyle did not live up to church standards, the school said Friday.

The14-year-old pupil, Shay Clark, was kicked out of the school in the town of Ontario east of Los Angeles on Thursday after teachers discovered that her mother and partner of 22 years were in a relationship the school did not consider Christian.

"The school requires that at least one parent be a confessing Christian and active in the local Christian church," Ontario Christian School said in a statement.

"In this case, the parent does not meet the criteria by participating in a homosexual relationship. We regret that this relationship was not disclosed at the time of admission, as that information would have prevented enrolment and the occasion for misunderstanding," the terse statement added.

The girl's mother, Tina Clark, said her daughter was distraught she had been humiliated and treated like a "criminal" simply because of her parents' sexuality.

"You're not supposed to judge if you're Christians and I feel the school is judging us," she told KCBS 2 television.

She said she and Mitzi Gray, who have three children between them, at least one of whom attended the same school as Shay, had always been open about their relationship and had turned up together at school open days.

The bemused youngster at the centre of the firestorm was meanwhile searching for a new school.

"I was born into this family and I love being in it," Shay told KCBS. "They shouldn't punish me because I haven't done anything wrong and they (my parents) haven't done anything wrong," she said.

Source:
http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,16705670%5E1702,00.html

Kauri

E/W Learner
Reactions
The girl's mother, Tina Clark, said her daughter was distraught she had been humiliated and treated like a "criminal" simply because of her parents' sexuality.

Nothing quite like broadcasting it to the press to lessen the kids humiliation. :goodnight

Reactions
I don't intend starting a war over religion here on ASF (the real estate ones have been fired up enough... :D ) but this is just another case of the church spreading hatred and misery whilst pretending to do the opposite. Nothing unusual.

The often repeated argument that same-sex relationships are inherently unstable is absolute nonsense IMO. Any couple's relationship can fall in a heap and the majority do end up that way. Their sexual orientation doesn't have a lot to do with it.

I would have to say that the most stable couple that I know are two women who have endured situations that would have seen the majority of heterosexual marriages crumble long ago.

It's time to stop judging people on their colour, shape, size, hair style, sexual preference, what clothes they wear and all that other rubbish. :)

Reactions
Smurf1976 said:
I don't intend starting a war over religion here on ASF (the real estate ones have been fired up enough... :D ) but this is just another case of the church spreading hatred and misery whilst pretending to do the opposite. Nothing unusual.

The often repeated argument that same-sex relationships are inherently unstable is absolute nonsense IMO. Any couple's relationship can fall in a heap and the majority do end up that way. Their sexual orientation doesn't have a lot to do with it.

I would have to say that the most stable couple that I know are two women who have endured situations that would have seen the majority of heterosexual marriages crumble long ago.

It's time to stop judging people on their colour, shape, size, hair style, sexual preference, what clothes they wear and all that other rubbish. :)

Some good points.

Is it bad that the church has a negative view on homosexuality?

In India a pair of Isrealies got married (man and woman) and kissed at their wedding ceremony. The Hindu priest was insulted by that and had the couple charged. They went to court I think and had to pay a fine. Extreme by our way of life don't you think?

I don't agree with a child being barred from school because of her parents' way of life. However, the parents need to consider the childs's best interests.

Reactions
Snake Pliskin said:
Some good points.

In India a pair of Isrealies got married (man and woman) and kissed at their wedding ceremony. The Hindu priest was insulted by that and had the couple charged. They went to court I think and had to pay a fine. Extreme by our way of life don't you think?

I don't agree with a child being barred from school because of her parents' way of life. However, the parents need to consider the childs's best interests.
I really don't mind what view anyone has on anything. It's what they choose to do as a consequence of that view that gets me annoyed.

IMO religion in general is very keen on preaching and not at all keen on action. Why run around making life hell for homosexuals and encouraging hatred in the community whilst the Catholic Church sits upon a fortune that could be used to help millions?

Why not just be a little more tolerant, stop encouraging over population in the Third World and spend some of that money and make the world a better place instead of sticking to ideology about how consenting live their lives?

Same with politics. Why pursue a cost-cutting (to enable tax reduction) ideology which actually increases costs as the Liberals have done in the past? Why oppose things which actually increase sustainabliity simply on ideological grounds as the Greens have done? Why oppose workers getting above award wages and conditions as unions / Labor have been known to do? Surely the outcome is more important than sticking to some ideology about how it ought to be achieved?

And I think we could all benefit from more tolerance and understanding in the world on all sides of every debate. Far too many have died fighting pointless wars IMO.

Reactions
Did someone say lesbians? Now that got my attention. :D There's nothing wrong with lesbians: especially hot bi-sexual ones!

Reactions
Kauri said:

Nothing quite like broadcasting it to the press to lessen the kids humiliation. :goodnight

Too true...LOL

Reactions
Snake Pliskin said:

It does go against teachings within the bible. Man shall not lie with man. Churches have always sided with the more conservative views.

BUT

The church is meant to be a place of forgiveness and acceptance.

I am very much undecided.

Was watching a program on the ABC one day and there are churches within Australia that accept homosexuality, and even have openly gay priests.

Homosexuality, before 1974 was declared a mental illness.

After much study into the effects of homosexuality it was declared that it was no longer abnormal, and being homosexual was not a hinderance on ones life as the study proved they could live happy, productive, and fulfilling lives.

Reactions
loakglen said:
Did someone say lesbians? Now that got my attention. :D There's nothing wrong with lesbians: especially hot bi-sexual ones!

Every straight mans fantasy, so they say...LOL

Reactions
Smurf1976 said:
stop encouraging over population in the Third World .

On a side note...

There is the theory that suggest that homosexuality is a natural form of birth / population control

Reactions
Smurf1976 said:

Would agree on this point, I too know of gay/lesbian relationships lasting life-times. A credit to them! I also know of one gay couple who foster children and it seems to work very well.