• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Most liked posts in thread: Stock Ranking

1. captain black

captain black

Hmm. Nice code. It works well.

Padowan, qldfrog and Warr87 like this.
  2. Value Collector

Value Collector Have courage, and be kind.

I don’t think you need any systems or methodologies, when you have been doing it long enough it just becomes like ranking which woman you think is hottest, I mean it becomes like second nature, at least that’s the way it works for me.

3. Zaxon

Zaxon The voice of reason

I do run in parallel different systems and do AB or ABC testing between them. Whilst it sounds good in theory, and probably should be done, even good systems can have long periods of underperformance. Just ask Warren Buffett how he's done in the last decade :)

Currently, I have more of my funds than usual in index funds, along with direct investing. So it's still a form of AB testing, since the results will inform my allocation percentages going forward.

So in this case, yes, I take the top few "best ideas" for my direct investing, and my best ETF idea for my ETF portion.

Skate, qldfrog and willoneau like this.
  4. Warr87

Warr87

You can assign any value to a position score. One that has worked best for me is price (lowest first):

Code:
    PositionScorer = 100 - Close;
    PositionScore = Ref( PositionScorer, -1 );

That will list the lowest first. I also have a price and volume filter as I don't want illiquid penny stocks.

Not all systems will be best with that kind of ranking. Some systems would have the highest prices better, or RSI, perhaps the highest ROC or maybe the highest ADX. A combination of these could also be good.

I've tried to google some useful ranking methods for AB that others have used, but I personally haven't found much.

Padowan and qldfrog like this.
  5. Value Collector

Value Collector Have courage, and be kind.

Hey come on now? Where is the fun in that.

MovingAverage and qldfrog like this.
  6. Warr87

Warr87

As a disclaimer, I didn't come up with the code but found it. However it is one that I use often when I test positionscore. Glad it's been useful for everyone

Code:
    PriceF = Close > 0.05 AND Close < 10;

This is my price filter. I vary it depending on the system. A volume filter for me would usually go a little different.

Code:
    VolumeFilter = Volume > 300000;

Code:
    VolumeMA = MA(Volume, 20);
    VolumeFilter = Volume > VolumeMA;

@qldfrog yea I get your point. Though I think the minimum price filter works even back in the past as the premise is: a 5c stock will gain more momentum than a $20 share. Both can gain 40% but the smaller one is more likely to gain that momentum quicker. And you are right about the definition of penny stocks. Hard to backtest for but adding a volume filter is likely to help in excluding the penny stocks.

Padowan and qldfrog like this.
  7. willoneau

willoneau

I have older version of AB so thought all signals were taken until no Capital available.

qldfrog likes this.
  8. Joe90

Joe90

Almost on topic - a few ranking methods I have collected over time. All worth back testing.
    • IBD200 relative Strength. IBD200 is a subscription service and covers the US markets but there is a TC2000 formula that can be used to run a similar RS scan on the ASX at the Stockbee site. https://stockbee.blogspot.com/2007/05/ibd-200.html It is basically a weighted average of price growth for one quarter, half year, 3 quarters and a year. So more suited to longer term trades or a weekly system.
    • SCTR (Stock Charts Technical Rank)
    • Bang for buck (Nick Radge)
    • %Risk Filter (Nick Radge)
    The last two are both available here -
    https://www.thechartist.com.au/the-benefits-of-leverage-for-position-sizing/
    • Historical volatility. Try starting with the lookback window set to your average trade holding period.
    Cheers

qldfrog likes this.
  9. MovingAverage

MovingAverage Smoke me a kipper

If you're using AB one way you can do it is via PositionScore. Let's just say for simplicity you rank your buy signals based in RSI. In AB you just set PositionScore to equal RSI and it will enter positions based on RSI--those positions with the highest ranking (RSI) will be taken initially. There are a few things to be careful of when using PositionScore in AB but that's a simple way of taking into account ranking in AB.

qldfrog likes this.
  10. MovingAverage

MovingAverage Smoke me a kipper

So many responses to this but me thinks best not to for not wanting to get flamed

Warr87 likes this.
  11. qldfrog

qldfrog

Definitely, just stressing that people interested in backtest might want to change threshold value based on period tested
    Currently i use 40c as the limit on some of my systems
    And i use a filter on volume

Warr87 likes this.