Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

South African Migrants

Reaction score
I was watching Gail Kelly on ABC tonight and was taken by her ability and vision.

I know a few South Africans who have migrated to Australia.

They seem like hard working folk, honest, hard working, and keen to get ahead.

Earlier this year I had a forced sojourn in RSA for 6 weeks and was impressed by the resilience of good people both black and white in the face of enormous problems.

I reckon they will make good migrants and contribute greatly to the "Australian mix".

gg

theasxgorilla

Problem solved... next bubble.
Reaction score
I hired a lot of Saffers back in Aust and they were fantastic. Good blokes too...they're all still good friends.

Reaction score
Find a high perecntage of South African males impossible to work for. Many workplace cultural differences. Also find that they have high self esteem in the workplace based on the fact they held ,by birthright, senior positions in industry. This does not necessarily translate to ability. Females, like anywhere, do make it to the top based on not only self belief but also ability so have not had an issue with them. However would have to rate South African males as the worst bosses I have ever had. Arrogance is too kind a word.

Reaction score
Ja man ek is a Suid Afrikaanse boer. Ek hou baie van Australia. Die mense hier hou so baie van rugby, cricket en braai vleis. Hulle is 'bokke 'in disguise'.

Totsiens

Boesman

(PS: bit out of practice so let me know if my spelling and grammar is still up to scratch - we migrated here in 1988 and I have hardly spoken Afrikaans since.)

Reaction score
Great!!

South Africa was recently known for having the highest murder rate per capita.

But I'm sure they're all good blokes most of the time.

IFocus

You are arguing with a Galah
Reaction score
Here in the west there are many from SA and have worked with and for many over the years.

Have only met whites no blacks

I have seen the odd one as Spaghetti mentions but generally have found their management and people skills far better than Australians.

GG you are on the money I think your sentiment is spot on.

Julia

In Memoriam
Reaction score
H
GG you are on the money I think your sentiment is spot on.
I agree also. Have known many and liked them all. They are frank, open and hard working, don't expect anything for nothing unlike so many.

Reaction score
For once GG we agree!

My partner is South African though the English / Russian decent 2nd generation South African. He is the most decent honourable person I know. Keeps his word, is tough in business, works extremely long hours daily but not corrupt. His friends are all wonderful caring people. Most still send money back to SA to their previous maids to keep them going. He has been doing this for 15 years every month without fail to help support her and her family whom live hundreds of Km's from their mother. Wonder how many other people would show such dedication.

The ones I know all have a deep affection for animals with numerous pets.

Reaction score
I do not know any South African arrivals,but one series of events did interest me...probably a fringe group.
Why were a group chanting "Kaffir Lovers" to the South African cricketers during a test match in Perth ?
As I said probably a fringe group...who are they?What is their beef?

Reaction score
As SA moves toward a constitution that enshrines land grabs without compensation we should let the farmers come to Australia and they will help pay for the welfare bludgers (other more apathetic "refugees/migrants").

Reaction score
As SA moves toward a constitution that enshrines land grabs without compensation we should let the farmers come to Australia and they will help pay for the welfare bludgers (other more apathetic "refugees/migrants").
Farmers are doing it tough all over this country.

If the SAfricans only skill is farming aren't they likely to end up on welfare ?

Reaction score
If the SAfricans only skill is farming aren't they likely to end up on welfare ?

No, because they are not lazy bludgers.

Reaction score
Find a high perecntage of South African males impossible to work for. Many workplace cultural differences. Also find that they have high self esteem in the workplace based on the fact they held ,by birthright, senior positions in industry. This does not necessarily translate to ability. Females, like anywhere, do make it to the top based on not only self belief but also ability so have not had an issue with them. However would have to rate South African males as the worst bosses I have ever had. Arrogance is too kind a word.
My experience of working in both countries is that South African bosses are not as "touchy feely" as Australian bosses but they are extremely hard working, loyal and honest. I've personally never experienced better businessmen anywhere in the world.

White South Africans come from a tough business environment where they are legally discriminated against, on the basis of their colour, by the Black Empowerment Act and the Employment Equity Act. Even in sport, young white South Africans who never experienced apartheid and grew up under a black government, are still discriminated against today....26 years since South Africa became a democracy. South African sports teams are also not picked on merit....even their rugby team that recently won the Rugby World Cup.

Yet it seems that the world takes no notice....presumably because these victims are white

Reaction score
Racism happens everywhere, if you are not an ethnic Malay you cannot work for the Govt.

Too bad if you were born in Malaysia of "other racial descent"

Reaction score
Yes let's try to share our feelings for each nationality and race. Surely saying this race is good makes you not a racist :rolleyes:

if you want my opinion, let's keep the status quo. We've reached a good level of multiculturalism. Any less we'd be regressing. Any more and we'd reach a point of exploitation. Case and point is the Indian government trying their darn tootin' hardest to get their citizenry HB1s to alleviate the overpopulation problem there and provide a base of western trained entrepreneurs that can eventually come back and develop the country.