• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

SMSFs allowed to borrow? Impact on property prices?

Discussion in 'Business, Investment and Economics' started by CompareSMSF, Sep 27, 2007.

1. CompareSMSF

CompareSMSF

Wondering how many SMSF members (and property investors) have come across this article recently in the Bulletin, and what is your reaction?

DIY funds await green light

Up until now there has been limited opportunity for DIY Super funds to borrow.

The $240 Billion of assets accumulated as at 30 June 2007 has largely been done without any leverage, and as a result the average SMSF investment portfolio has limited exposure to direct property (up until now).

Assuming the legislation is (has been?) passed it is interesting to consider the potential impact on property prices?

2. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

Re: SMSF's allowed to borrow? Impact on property prices??

Thanks for that link. Interesting.
    I'll wait to find out about the lending criteria.
    I'm a bit surprised that this will be allowed given the apparently quite high level of unsophisticated investors setting up SMSF's.

3. So_Cynical

So_Cynical The Contrarian Averager

Why surprised...isnt most the the financial advise industry based on people who know what
    there doin taking money from people who don't.

4. Whiskers

Whiskers It's a small world

That is .... So Cynical! :D

But True! :rolleyes:

5. Whiskers

This is the ATO version I just got in my SMSF newsletter. Although the ATO points out it is still before the senate, they seem to me to be pretty sure it will pass. Note the last sentence, "...when the bill becomes law". Apparently the Committe on Economics reccommended it be passed.

http://www.ato.gov.au/super/content.asp?doc=/content/00107444.htm&page=6&H6

6. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

The instalment warrant facility isn't new. The ATO must be a bit slow with its newsletters. I might be missing something here, but their ruling doesn't appear to include permission to gear into property from within a SMSF
    so I don't really see what has changed.
    I can recall getting a bank produced booklet about self funding instalment warrants more than a year ago.

7. Whiskers

Hi Julia, I'm still setting mine up, but I heard there was a problem and the ATO was taking action against some, so I'm keen to get a good understanding of this. I have found this official "EXPLANATORY MEMORANDUM" of the new laws where chapter 3 seems to spell out the old problem and new remedy.

A detailed explanation and example are provided at; http://parlinfoweb.aph.gov.au/piweb/Repository/Legis/ems/Linked/21060712.pdf

8. resourcesman

resourcesman

I vaguely recall some ATO ruling whereby you can invest super assets into CFDs, so you have almost the same effective exposure as having a margin loan. Doesn't work for property investments though, because there is no equivalent to CFDs.

Didn't pay much attention to it, so I probably misunderstood it or something

9. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

Hi Whiskers,

Thanks for quoting the actual rulings. How I hate legalspeak!
    That appears to confirm that it's simply about instalment warrants so I can't see where there's any suggestion of SF's being permitted to borrow to buy property, get margin loans etc.as suggested in compareSMSF's original post.

10. CompareSMSF

CompareSMSF

** Bump **

Scale new heights with rule change

Just the start of an avalanche of new (manistream) products to hit the market for SMSFs targeted at gearing into property.

11. DaleGG

DaleGG

Hi

The ability of a SMSF to borrow money to buy property will be through instalment warrants, I understand. So, it will be a little different than normal property transaction.

I think that you will find that we will all be bombarded with information (marketing) in the coming months.

Have fun

Dale

12. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Yes its official and has been available since 30th Sept.

The deposit is set-up as an internal Instalment warrant within the Fund. The loan is then made with the SM Super Fund.

Here are some Tremendous Benefits.
    (1) 10% Capital Gains Tax if held for 12 mths or more.
    (2) Maximum of 15% tax on Rental income.

Affordability
    Loan can be funded from Tennant rental,Employer Contributions,Salary Sacrifice,and personal Contributions and any Government contributions applicable.
    Effectively your PERSONAL borrowing capacity wont be affected as the SMSF is a separate entity.Great news for those of us investing in other areas and with regard to business loans etc.

There are rules and a normal housing loan will not apply.
    So a good relationship with a savvy Mortgage Broker and an experienced SMSF Accountant are a must.

This is tremendous news for those of us actively involved in property and music to the ears of those who could now be in the position to take advantage of their previously un touchable Super hoard!

13. professor_frink

professor_frink Moderator

Tech, do you have a link to some more information on this. Must say that it seems like there could be a bit of potential in it:)

14. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Got it from an article in "The Australian Property Investor" December issue.(Page 20)
    Written by Pat Mannix a CPA with Guntherum-Goss& Associates in Victoria.
    I had a look on their website www.guntherumgoss.com but couldn't find anything there directly related to it.

I'm sure there is and will be a few doing a BIG KEV on this,really exciting.
    The implication for individuals as well as the "Floundering";)
    Housing market over the next 3 or so years and beyond is tremendous.

It could have the same impact on housing as Compulsory Super had on the stock market.There will be those taking advantage of the rental squeeze Australia wide,holding for longer periods and benefiting massively in the long-term.

All of a sudden Joe average who has a reasonable super fund of OVER $120,000 can turn to a SMSF set-up and become involved in the best vehicle available for long-term wealth creation.

15. professor_frink

professor_frink Moderator

cheers tech.

Will go and see if I can find some info on it:)

16. Tom Ronalds

Tom Ronalds

There are several "strategies" currently being spruiked by the usual suspects. Here's a sample:

"If you want real estate but don't have enough money in your super to buy it, you can now use an instalment warrant.

"Over time, you buy the investment outright with salary sacrifice and the super guarantee contributions."

The analysis I have seen on this is "be very wary!" Apparently this was a decision made by a junior minister in the previous government and was very much opposed by the relevant bureaucrats.

The Assistant Commissioner for Superannuation of the ATO, Ian Read, has said the following:

"The use of instalment warrants by a SMSF in a way that constitutes a breach of the superannuation laws is on our radar for 2007-2008."

Tom R

17. xoa

xoa

If greedy superannuants want to borrow money to gamble on the property bubble, let them. They've already lost billions of dollars on the stock market this year, why should they stop there?

It won't affect property prices in the long term.

18. Happy

Happy

I think it will affect price by preventing it from plummeting.

19. xoa

xoa

You think that blowing more borrowed money into the bubble will stop it from bursting?

I think than an infusion of more debt would have exactly the opposite affect.

20. Happy

Happy

Surely, if catastrophic downward pressure prevails, no amount of money is going to hold prices up, but when super money can absorb perceived glut, at least in short to medium term we are out of the woods.