Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Should sharks be culled?

Should Sharks be "Controlled" around Australian Beaches?

• Yes, cull the killers

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Yes, but find a better way than culling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, you're in their world, you take the risk

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Not sure, too hard basket...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CanOz

Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!
Reactions
Interesting article on sharks and a program to control them around Australia's beaches.

I've always been against killing sharks but then again i've not lost a loved one to an ocean predator. The thing is too, is that most surfies i talked to would be against killing sharks too and they're usually the no.1 meal on the menu.

What do you think, should sharks be culled?

Reactions
... What do you think, should sharks be culled?

No. It has been tried and failed miserably.
They are an alpha predator and as such are required to keep a balance in Nature.

Surfies are aware that they are surfing in the Sharks' Pool.

IFocus

You are arguing with a Galah
Reactions
40 years of surfing WA and still going have told the wife if I get eaten don't kill the shark it hasn't done any thing wrong. :)

Reactions
many shark populations on on a dangerous down slope.

You've got more chance of being killed by a dog than a shark, yet i don't hear anyone calling for a dog cull.

CanOz

Reactions
Thanks for the replies so far guys, i wonder what is motivating the pollies to pursue this? Do they have data that suggests its affecting tourism? Is it something that will be popular with voters?:confused:

Reactions
There's no sense in this at all.

1. How do you make sure you kill the right shark anyway? If someone is attacked, and you go hunting for the shark, chances are you could end up killing the wrong shark.

2. The ocean is really their territory. We go into it accepting the risks. I don't think us humans were built to spend too much time in water, and hence we shouldn't be there. If they feel threatened and attack us, I think it's only natural.

3. Where do you draw the line? Do we kill every species that poses a threat to humankind? Then we can all be safe from nature? That only leaves humans to be killed by...humans. Which I'm sure happens a lot bloody more than shark attacks.

4. From what I hear about shark finning, their numbers are already on the decrease. This may contribute to them feeling threatened. But also, given this, we don't need to further assist in ensuring the extinction of such a wonderful species.

IFocus

You are arguing with a Galah
Reactions
Thanks for the replies so far guys, i wonder what is motivating the pollies to pursue this? Do they have data that suggests its affecting tourism? Is it something that will be popular with voters?:confused:

The WA government (Barnett, Liberal / Nats) have to be fair resisted doing some thing for a few years but the continuing deaths has put the pressure on.

The use of baited hooks this time of year is sure to draw in sharks (not what they want)but they will be tiger sharks not white pointers. Tiger sharks come down the coast with the warm current in summer with the whites moving further south.
Its the whites that have been killing not tigers.

So the whole thing is totally pointless.

CanOz

Reactions
"When the shark is taken out of the equation, the squid populations explode. They're voracious eaters so every night they'd eat the baby fish -- swordfish, tuna, marlin. The fish are being wiped out, not by man, but by squid. And that's because man took away their main predator -- sharks," said McBride.

Interesting....less sharks = more squid = less fish

always such a fine balance...

Shark wrangler who sleeps with the fishes

Reactions
Where is the scientific evidence that culling sharks reduces attacks ?

How many sharks are there in the ocean ? Is there any evidence that sharks have a reasoning capacity to enable to decide that if they kill someone they could be killed themselves ?

The shark cull is a political knee jerk reaction that is more dangerous than productive, by making some people think they are safer in the water. It's rubbish, but that is the way politicians think (if you can call it that).

Reactions
Humans are a known danger to ants, rats, mice, spiders, snakes, sharks, whales, practically all fish, elephants, wallabies, kangaroos, deer and so on.

Should we cull humans in order to protect all the above?

If not, then why would we cull sharks?

Joe Blow

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
I'm not sure why the OP set a time limit on the poll in this thread, as this topic is going to keep coming up; most likely after each fatal shark attack.

I have re-opened the poll so that those who would like to vote but haven't yet can do so.

Joe Blow

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
I'm not sure either mate...

:eek:

Ahhh, didn't realize it was you CanOz!

I started on page #2 and didn't bother to go back a page to check who the OP was. :eek:

Edit: And somehow I missed all your posts on this page with "Thread Starter" under your user name. D'oh!

springhill

Make the drill work for YOU
Reactions
We have killed just about every animal on land, time to start on the oceans, I guess.

Why do you think we are exploring other planets? - Probably looking for more **** to kill.

Hell, when we cant find animals to kill, we even kill each other.

You can't legislate risk out of life.

Humans are a plague, one with a very short timeframe and the clock is ticking.