• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Should I buy before, at, or after ex-dividend date?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by jjtrader, Dec 23, 2013.

1. jjtrader

jjtrader

Hi guys. Sorry to ask yet another basic question but google is not telling me the answer. Can someone please explain the exdividend basics. Specifically, should I buy before, at, or after this date? Thanks. You guys have been really helpful so far.

2. springhill

springhill Make the drill work for YOU

Re: ex dividend

There are quite a few threads on dividends/ex-dividend on ASF.

https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1248811

Click this link and a multitude of options will appear that should answer this question and any others that you may have regarding this topic.

Just a friendly suggestion, try typing ex dividends into the search box in the top right hand corner, rather than start a new thread. Invariably your question will have been answered before and will save you time and moderators the trouble of having to merge threads.

This is the premier thread on ASF for new members to ask questions.
    https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1248814

3. jjtrader

jjtrader

Ok, just found some other posts about this (probably should have looked first) would I be right in saying that if I buy a stock 3 days after exdiv I will not be eligible for the dividend in the upcoming quarter. But i will probably buy the stock at a bargain price due to the ex div drop. Is this 6 of one and half a dozen of the other?

4. burglar

burglar

It is not rocket science.
    But there are nuances, ...

Do exactly as springhill suggests and you will then know more about divvies than 90 % of people in your street.

5. Buckfont

Buckfont

For some reason when I click on these links "sorry, no matches' comes up. Something for the admins.

Merry Christmas everyone.

6. Joe Blow

Joe Blow Administrator Staff Member

The reason is that you can't post search results links. You have to tell people to search for particular keywords in the thread title. Or simply posts links to the actual threads themselves.