• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Share Trade Tracker

Discussion in 'Trading/Investing Resources' started by Zel99, May 19, 2020.

1. Zel99

Zel99

Hey guys,
    Recently I've seen the share trade tracker excel sheet go around asf. I was wondering if it was worth to get? I'm only a beginner and my capital is pretty low so I'd feel like the plan would take alot of my earnings.

Thanks!

2. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

It's difficult to recommend or not as it depends on what your situation is. What level of reporting you're looking for. Whether you have multiple systems or just one. How frequently you trade. And yes, the amount of capital you have.

If you're a member of "The Chartist" you get access to Share Trade Tracker for free.

There might be similar tools for free depending on your needs. Sharesight is what CMC markets direct their clients to for reporting. Sharesight is good, but the free plan is limited to 10 holdings. $20/mo for 20 holdings and $31/mo unlimited.

You can create your own spreadsheet to record all the information you really need. Depending on your Excel skills it may not have as many features or look as good, but if you have limited funds it'll do the job. The free spreadsheets section at the Share Trade Tracker website even has a free sample workbook that will scrape the current prices from the free Yahoo data source if you wanted to keep current prices up to date to track P&L.

Maybe just give the trial a go and have a think about how much of the detail you need?

Trav., qldfrog, Skate and 2 others like this.
  3. Skate

Skate

Disclaimer
    @Zel99, I have an involvement with Share trade Tracker

Share Trade Trackers offers a "Free 15 Day Trial" with No Payment or Credit Card required.
    https://xlautomation.com.au/excel-spreadsheets/buy/share-trade-tracker-free-trial

Screen captures
    I use "Share Trade Tracker" as my portfolio manager, a program I couldn't live without. The reports displayed in the "Dump it here" thread are generated using "Share Trade Tracker".

Skate.

4. qldfrog

qldfrog

Interesting, as i got involved in share trading incrementally, built an excel spreadsheet and grew from that.
    My broker issues an end of day report that i cut and paste in a data sheet, which is used itself to populate my various systems and independent trading portfolios, past sales etc
    Used heavily at tax time so critical
    Usually ok but tedious and i experienced last week an excel issue which was slowing down any refresh on the 2.5meg file.
    Spent 2 days tracking the issues
    I do see advantages for a newcomer not to have to go thru that :)

5. Skate

Skate

Disclaimer
    I have an involvement with Share trade Tracker

Question
    @qldfrog, If I was able to organise a specific trial version for ASF members making Share Trade Tracker available for 180 days (6 months) free of change would you take advantage of that offer?

Other ASF members
    If Share Trade Tracker was made available to all ASF members for 180 days (6 months) free use would members take up the offer giving ample time to evaluate the program?

Share Trade Tracker
    STT has "free Yahoo Data for updates" & with the latest release version integrates with Norgate Data (a paid subscription service) as well as others.

Let me know if it's worthy to organise.

Skate.

Rsthree, marknz88 and qldfrog like this.
  6. qldfrog

qldfrog

As my spreadsheet is getting enormous and complex, why not?
    To at least be informed of the functionality but I will always be reluctant to release control, especially any of the subscription style services.
    My spreadsheet currently manages the whole of assets:rental properties, super, 3 BD and 2 comsec trading accounts , 4 trading systems (inc yours) and is backed up in the clouds regularly, where it can be open if i want to from my phone or any internet cafe.
    Do not bother just for me, but if many are interested and available, I will definitively evaluate it

Skate likes this.
  7. Skate

Skate

@qldfrog, Share Trade Tracker is customisable by adding extra worksheets to the workbook, meaning it can handle all that you have mentioned & more. I use Share Trade Tracker from the cloud so it's synchronised with whatever computer I'm using. Also entering data from any computer is a breeze. I also run multiple trading portfolios with Share Trade Tracker that is able to generate reports individually or combined. Also, the Dashboard populates to reflect the changes when selecting a different portfolio. Imputation Credits & Dividend entry alone saves time, not to mention all the relevant information can be sent to your accountant (if you have one)

Let's see if there is any interest...

Skate.

debtfree, Warr87 and qldfrog like this.
  8. Warr87

Warr87

I'd probably give it a go for a 6month trial.

qldfrog and Skate like this.
  9. Austwide

Austwide

While I think my excel SS covers my needs which are fairly basic, STT could open me to features that I haven't thought of and may prove to be useful.
    A 6 month trial would be worth a try to really see what it does, as I see it, a 15 day one isn't enough time to learn how to use it, what it can do and if its a benefit to me.

qldfrog, Skate and Warr87 like this.
  10. Movendi

Movendi

I'd give it a go.

Skate likes this.
  11. peter2

peter2

I'm prepared to have a look over a six month trial period. I wouldn't be bothered looking at software with only a 15 day trial.

I'd like to know before the trial if the xls can group trades in one stock code. Sometimes I'll buy an initial parcel, then add, then sell 1/2, add more and then finally sell all. I call this a "campaign" and like to see the overall profit compared to the initial risk. I treat this as one "trade" in the stock. Subsequent trades in the same stock code are different campaigns and are not to be grouped.

Can it calculate results in R multiples for those of us who use fixed fractional position sizing models?

Is it possible to enter coded comments re the initial setup that can then be collated and analysed separately from other setups ? I like to see my stats for the break-out setups, reversal setups and pull-back setups individually. This would be similar to using different systems perhaps?

Can I copy a list of trades from one sheet to another and then apply a different exit strategy to see if there's improved financial performance?

Can I add coded comments when I review each trade (or campaign) so that I can analyse what I'm good at and what needs work? Am I taking profits too early, too late? Am I applying good risk control? What's my worst mistake? I want to monitor my performance as well as the financial performance.

Can it handle cfd positions with various leverage? CFD interest charges, misc fees. Broker fees, data subscription fees,

I assume it can handle multiple broker accounts, but can it collate the transactions for all broker accounts into one (by date)?

I suppose I'm asking if it can document a trading business and prepare reports for accountants and ATO purposes?

12. debtfree

debtfree

Hi @Skate,

Could you please put my name down to try out the Share Trade Tracker for 6months if you are able to organise it. I appreciate your efforts to bring this offer to us ASF members, thank you. :xyxthumbs

Skate likes this.