• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Share buying advisory websites

Discussion in 'Trading/Investing Resources' started by qprjames, Nov 2, 2017.

1. qprjames

qprjames

I am a complete novice when it comes to the share market. I was going to put most of my money into an index tracker like STW so I can just leave it for 10+ years. Nice and easy and risk-free....well as risk free as you can get I guess. But, I would like to get involved in buying and selling individual stocks/shares.

Is there a website that I can check on a weekly basis that might offer advice on ‘what’s hot’ and therefore ripe to buy, and what’s past it’s used by date and perhaps what’s best to sell.

I would trust a major source (big name website), that perhaps offers its top pick of the week to buy and sell.

Is there such a website that offers this kind of advice?

Obviously I understand if this is a big name website telling everyone to ‘sell’ I understand that I’m might be behind some of the pack who do it for a living and sell at opening on a Monday morning when they hit the trading floor, but at least I might get a bit of a heads up on a falling stock.

I won’t be putting much money into these shares at the start, but after 12 months, if my ‘sources’ are working out well for me, then I might start to increase the amount of money 8nveststed.

Any recommendations on websites I could seek advice from?

2. qprjames

qprjames

117 people have view this but no bites. Is this a stupid question? How do most people (who are not share traders or brokers themselves) work out which trades to do? Clearly they must be getting this information from somewhere. When I lived in the uk, I read a newspaper with a daily business section offering advice on which shares to buy, share or hold. I was hoping for a similar website out there for similar advice.....

3. So_Cynical

So_Cynical The Contrarian Averager

There are dozens of sites, info is everywhere, the pay sites will often give you 1 or 2 weeks free, have a free trail of Stock Doctor and Marcus today.

4. qprjames

qprjames

Great thanks for the message. Are there any free resource websites out there, or would you particularly recommend these subscription websites as the best source?

5. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Nick Radge
    The Chartist

There is some great analysis here at ASF
    There is some invaluable threads on the
    Topic of trading a portfolio.

Porper likes this.
  6. Cmac

Cmac

I like Peter Switzer. He does a free daily newsletter and also has a paid service. The (pay tv) Sky Business Channel is useful. Peter Switzer has a show on weekday evenings.

7. Roller_1

Roller_1

Porper likes this.
  8. Country Lad

Country Lad Off into the sunset

Based on what I have seen over the decades, I wouldn't trust any of them. This is part of a Marcus Padley article:

Broker Research
    Do I really have to explain this one. Most broker research is a cross between a marketing document and sucking up to the companies the research is written about, in the hope of a corporate relationship if one doesn't exist, or to service the existing relationship if it already does. The analysts aren’t stupid, the research is worth reading, they've done more work than you, they have better access, they know more, but understand that it is not independent advice. Also understand that by the time you read it, if it actually does have some insight, all the important clients have had it for the last week. You are there to ice the price not take advantage of it.

Broker research is tainted with corporate purpose and is rarely written with the singular motive to make the end reader money. Here is an extract from the Marcus Today Shorter Melbourne Dictionary of stockbroker recommendations, which just about sums it up.

BUY – It’s listed.

HOLD – It’s a SELL and we’re not about to ruin years of relationship building between the analyst and the company and the corporate department and the company.

SELL – We pitched for a role in the capital raising and another broker beat us. .

We are moving from BUY to HOLD – SELL

We are moving from HOLD to UNDERPERFORM - SELL

UNDERWEIGHT - SELL

Oversold – It's a terrible company but we’re the broker.

BUY (on a small company from a big broker) – We are about to do a capital raising.

Conviction BUY – Same as a BUY but we’re a small broker craving attention.

The bottom line is that the majority of broker research is tainted by some Machiavellian purpose and on that basis, it as a waste of time.

CNHTractor, rb250660 and skyQuake like this.
  9. qprjames

qprjames

Thanks for that refreshingingly honest reply. I certainly would expect that the people in the know to be like the ‘cat that gets the cream’, but I would still expect ato be one of the rest that will be feeding off the scraps. And yes I understand that I might be getting this information long after the traders know about it. But to be honest, without using these resources, I simply won’t know which stocks to buy. And yes I certainly take onboard that some commentary out there will be done for their own personal gain, and not those reading it. I would only proceed on a trade if I was to be hearing multiple sources all saying the same thing. I will certainly however, especially after reading your comments, be taking everything I read with a pinch of salt and will scrutinise when required.

10. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

I’m similar to CL in regard to broker recommendations

They are human and have an opinion just like anyone else.
    Their opinion like most everyone else is
    50/50 at best

You see time and again comment on finding something that suits YOU

Can’t agree more
    For me or was/is relying on my own opinion

THEN
    You need to learn how to trade or invest
    THAT
    Is where the money is.

11. galumay

galumay learner

What makes you think that using these resources will allow you to know which stocks to buy?

Did you actually read the quoted article and understand it?

12. qprjames

qprjames

These resources can provide more in depth knowledge than what I have at the current time. I’m sure I will learn over time and begin to use my own judgement, but to start off with, and to gain a better understanding of the market, I have no other option but to listen to advice from 3rd parties.

Yes I did read and understand the article - trust nobody?! Lol well I have to open the door a little bit when starting out. I expect to get my fingers burnt a few times in the beginning. That’s why I’m going to start off small. Then in a few months/years I’ll gain the confidence to invest more, but based on my own intuition and research, not other people’s recommendations.

13. galumay

galumay learner

Thats really debatable. Maybe take time to learn more yourself before committing any capital?

Sorry, i re-read my comment and it came across as rather harsh! My biggest error was starting to invest before I really understood what I was doing - so I ended up basically buying the narrative. I wish I had held my capital and spent another couple of years reading and learning - I have done well, but could have done much better I think.

14. qprjames

qprjames

Yes it did sound a bit harsh lol, but internet is easily mis-constrewn so I read round it :)
    And after doing some research I am beginning to understand that some of these stock picks lead to nothing! But when you have all these stocks to pick from, you feel like you are a kid in a sweet shop. I just have to avoid choosing the first thing I see, eating too much and getting sick from it :p

As it stands , I think I might just choose a managed fund for 95% of my investments, and have a bit of fun with the other 5%. Over time, if my 5% does well, I can always start increasing the % split and start more of my own trading. Baby steps and all that!

15. lenny

lenny

A middle point between a managed fund and going it alone with ETF's could be a Robo adviser.

It might be worth looking into stockspot or six park.

16. So_Cynical

So_Cynical The Contrarian Averager

Correct, set limits, draw a line in the sand and stick to it, you will occasionally "get sick" but it will not be life threatening.

17. qprjames

qprjames

Robot advisor? I would be a bit worried investing into a small entity. Or Should I not be worried? If ‘six park’ went belly and ceased trading, I’m guessing my stocks would be safe as they would technically be invested into other stocks. I’m a very nervous investor in terms of businesses collapsing. Losing money on stocks is a different matter as that is expected. I just don’t want to lose my capital!p.s.

18. freebird54

freebird54

Been investing here and overseas for over 40 years and have tried nearly every newsletter
    Rivkin was one of the best for takeover plays bur suffice it to say the only one I subscribe to now is the Eureka report - tips not brilliant but they have lots of information
    It also includes intelligent investor which I used to subscribe to.
    Brokers have not done better than I did by doing my own research.
    I trade often and use calls and puts for protection/discounted purchase but now find ASX not so good for options compared to USA

19. lenny

lenny

In terms of Six park the CMA is held in your name (ANZ I think) and the ETF's are purchased in your name with your HIN.
    If they go belly up the cash and ETF's are in your name. They charge a fraction of managed fund.
    But of course do your own research.