Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Sell W.A. to China

Reaction score
I was getting annoyed with all the political and economic rhetoric, so I thought I would run it past my missus, who is the most uninterested person in the universe.

She said, we should sell W.A to China, no one wants it and it would be worth trillions.
Then we could use the money, to have a good time over East.
Well I couldn't see any down side, all the Eastern States wants to do is rape it, tourists aren't interested and the major miners are stripping it.
It actually probably isn't a bad idea.
China could irrigate the NW and grow crops, they want the resources and we are giving them away, so why not relocate 2 million people and sell the State for a few trillion dollars, we wouldn't have to worry about deficits for ever.
We would all become like Tassie.:xyxthumbs

Reaction score
I was getting annoyed with all the political and economic rhetoric, so I thought I would run it past my missus, who is the most uninterested person in the universe.

She said, we should sell W.A to China, no one wants it and it would be worth trillions.
Well I couldn't see any down side, all the Eastern States wants to do is rape it, tourists aren't interested and the major miners are stripping it.
China could irrigate the NW and grow crops, they want the resources and we are giving them away, so why not relocate 2 million people and sell the State for a few trillion dollars, we wouldn't have to worry about deficits for ever.
But aren't the big miners and oilers already selling WA to China?

Reaction score
But aren't the big miners and oilers already selling WA to China?
Yes, but they are paying FFk all for it, why not just sell it on real estate .com.
Western Australia, 2.646 million sq klm, including a major city(Perth), a wine region, and $hit loads of iron ore, lithium, manganese, LNG, nickel, cobalt, copper and large agricultural area.
Seller says sell, no one else in the Country gives a $hit about it, offers above three trillion.
Vacant possession.

It would be the megga sale of the World, we in W.A could all move over over East, where all the action is, no one is a loser.:xyxthumbs

Reaction score
Are you trying to start a housing boom over there?

We’d all better buy a place in WA so that we get a share of the $ trillions, right?

Reaction score
No my wife is no muppett, she got a commonwealth scholarship, to year 11 and 12 and a sponsorship to Monash University.
What did she do marry me, yes she obviously is a FW.
But that aside, she doesn't watch any news, just does sudoku, crosswords, watches murder mysteries, spooky $hit bit OCD but can't say that.
So if occasionally, I want to run something past her it is usually an analytical answer, just a matter of fact answer. Not biased in any way, trust me if I try to talk finance or politics, it is hell for me.
What she say's is Australia doesn't have the money to develop W.A, so at the moment there is a lot of mineral wealth that overseas Companies are stripping, there is a lot of agricultural potential that we can't afford to exploit, but is worth money.
In the end when all the mineral resources are stripped, it is only worthless land, that will cost a lot to develop we don't have the money now, we won't have it then.
So sell it now while it is worth $hitloads, rather than give away when it has no value. Then you have to give it away because we can't support it.
Like I said, weird, but relocating two million people, and getting paid trillions.
Who knows?
Jeez I've been married to her for 40 years, and she still does my head in.:(

Reaction score

Your wife Marge Simpson? When she mentioned wa she may have meant Washington!

Reaction score
From a tourism perspective I think WA’s not bad at all really.

Only place we went that I thought was overrated was Margaret River but then I’m not a wine drinker.

Everything else from the dolphins to the mines was quite impressive really.

It was a pretty good trip actually. 2 men, 2 women, 2 old cars* and a motorbike. Went as far south as Albany and as far north as Port Hedland. Did, looked at, etc, everything we came across. This included driving across from the East.

Plus I got to make a hell of a racket ringing bells at some place in Perth.

*One car not so old, 17 years, the other one 45 years old. Both 4 cyl and completely standard apart from the addition of a larger fuel tank to the old Morris, necessary due to the ~350 km range with the standard tank.

Last edited:

PZ99

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Reaction score
WA are in danger of being swamped by Asians...

...and now.. yoga for beginners
asx.jpg

Reaction score
Congrats on 40 years of marriage. I dont quite understand why you say the mining companies are stripping the place and that we aren't getting our monies worth from the resources. I would argue that it is the Government that does not invest the vast amounts of money raised in an intelligent way. Perhaps it is the case that we could be getting more for royalties and I'm incorrect on that front. dunno

Reaction score

Seems like there is a much better way for smaller countries to exploit vast natural resources than we do.

Reaction score
Nahhhh! No need to sell to China. We'll buy our state (low interest rate please!).

But wait, it's ours. Why should we buy it, we should just declare independence. UDI.

Then all those taxation dollars from Twiggy, Gina etc that end up over East can stay here......as can the AFL premiership trophy.

Reaction score
*One car not so old, 17 years, the other one 45 years old. Both 4 cyl and completely standard apart from the addition of a larger fuel tank to the old Morris, necessary due to the ~350 km range with the standard tank.
I am intrigued that you would risk driving a 45 year old car over such vast distances.

Was it a Morris Minor, Marina or Mini?

Wysiwyg

Everyone wants money
Reaction score
Tianqi and Albemarle have taken a large chunk of the Lithium businesses 'cause Aussies haven't got any money to pay up front.