• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

S&P 500 performance under each U.S. President

Discussion in 'International Markets' started by greggles, Jan 22, 2019.

1. greggles

greggles I'll be back!

An interesting illustration from CNN of the performance of the S&P 500 under each U.S. President beginning with Ronald Reagan.

What is perhaps most interesting is that the S&P 500 performed best under the two Democrat Presidents, who are traditionally seen as more pro-government (higher taxes) and less pro-business.

It will be interesting to see how the Trump Presidency plays out from here with Chinese economic growth on the wane and global markets starting to teeter on the brink.

screenshot-www.cnn.com-2019.01.22-09-03-23.png

screenshot-www.cnn.com-2019.01.22-09-10-40.png

Miner likes this.
  2. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Those figures say a lot about what those presidents were bequeathed with.

Barack Obama inherited a GFC affected economy hence the inflated %

I wouldn't mind a similar illustration of debt levels in the same time frame :)

greggles likes this.
  3. greggles

greggles I'll be back!

Agree. Though I suspect that there wouldn't be much difference between the Democrat and Republican Presidents. Despite what they may campaign on or declare in public, they all spend like drunken sailors when they get their hands into the till.

4. greggles

greggles I'll be back!

Here's a chart of the Public debt of the United States from 1990 to 2018 (in billion U.S. dollars)

Things certainly seem to have taken off since the GFC and spending doesn't appear to be slowing down at all.

screenshot-www.statista.com-2019.01.22-10-40-05.png

PZ99 likes this.
  5. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That's the real story IMO - debt to GDP is approaching WW2 levels.

6. Junior

Junior

Agreed Greggles, they all spend as much as they can get away with. This chart you've posted shows the real driver behind asset prices.

7. Miner

Miner

Very good trending and thanks for producing that.
    Looking into Clinton's end game and Trump's possible second term and upbeat graph, is it safe to assume that Trump will do something worse than Monica case (Storm has not created enough storm:) ) on his second term and market performance will go better than Clinton's record even that would cost Trump to go. :)
    On the same analogy if Trump's third marriage still exists then Mrs Trump could be a nice looking candidate for the President too :) :)